Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tasmanian Fast / Ultra Fast chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A bit of an update:

At the time of my last post, we were waiting on:
  • 5x EHT ARENA funded sites (Greater Hobart)
  • 5x Evie ARENA funded sites (Greater Hobart)
  • 20x Tas Govt ChargeSmart funded sites - >50% EHT and a mix of others (regional)
Since then we've had:
  • Outside of any grant scheme, Hydro Tasmania installed a fast charger at the Waddamana power station museum in the central highlands (free, but only available the 6hrs/day the museum is open) - https://www.hydro.com.au/news/media...amana-power-station-drives-back-to-the-future
  • Four of the ChargeSmart sites installed - 25 kW DC units - at Alonnah (Bruny Island), Maydena, Ouse and Waratah. The latter 3 are EHT installs. All are via Chargefox for billing.
  • The first Evie ARENA site has been spotted under construction in Kingston as per the Evie thread.
  • EHT has taken delivery of a bunch of Kempower hardware - for their ARENA sites and a couple of others (unknown as to which ones).
At last nights AEVA meeting, Clive provided an update:
  • A couple more were in the installation process (Triabunna, Dunalley were named) with a few others imminent - he expects these all to be complete by the end of the year. I can't remember the number but I think he said around 9 total (not sure if this was just EHT or included others - he works closely with other providers).
  • Some delay examples were given - in Tullah, they're waiting for the west coast council to demolish/replace a toilet block. In Oatlands, they're waiting for the council to seal a car park. In Kingston, they need to power off the entire council chambers to upgrade the switchboard and council won't give them a date earlier than mid-January.
  • Some existing sites will be expanded - Devonport, Burnie and Swansea. He mentioned that Swansea would be a second 50 kW Tritium relocated from elsewhere - reading between the lines this appears to suggest Devonport or Burnie (or both) will get their Tritium removed and replaced with something else (Kempower?)

• Informative
Reactions: moa999 and Vostok
I might have missed it, but have any Kempower units been spotted elsewhere in Australia?

If not, I think I've found Australia's first two sites:

A Kempower C-series at Dunalley in the south-east:

1670660460952.png

1670660583695.png

A Kempower power unit and a couple of satellite posts at Oatlands (Midland Highway) - blocked by a construction fence, my phone's zoom did all the work!

Couldn't get the spec plate, but this site is supposed to be 100 kW+ capacity - not sure of the split.

1670660545603.png

For those unfamiliar with the locations:

1670660811273.png

Also, the absolute furthest-west pin on that map (Strahan) has had a site appear on the Chargefox app, but no photos yet. I think it's a bog standard Tritium @ 50 kW.

That's an impressive map. I can't think of a tourist trip that can't be done by EV in Tassie now.
Smithton and St Marys or Bicheno would fill the gaps really nicely.

That's a massive change from just a couple of years ago.
Smithton and Bicheno are also on their way! Planned locations are identified, but I typically don't add anything to Plugshare until groundworks commence, since locations can fall through before then (and there can also be months and months of inactivity).

Also worth noting that ~5 of the locations marked are 25 kW DC, but they're generally targeted at lower end EVs who may not be able to make the ~150 km gaps between the faster units.

Smithton and Bicheno are also on their way! Planned locations are identified, but I typically don't add anything to Plugshare until groundworks commence, since locations can fall through before then (and there can also be months and months of inactivity).

Anything planned for Stanley? I remember my visit there many years ago, lovely spot, and of course “The Nut”!

Reactions: johnchidgey
Anything planned for Stanley? I remember my visit there many years ago, lovely spot, and of course “The Nut”!
Stanley is a weird one! It's 60 km west of Burnie (with a fast charger, soon to have 2-3 sites) and 20 km east of Smithton (soon to have one). So it should be well serviced already...

But.. a few months ago there was a curious DA on the local council website. It was for a new tractor showroom, on a block on the highway just out of town. There was a service station on the same site... and the DA included converting the service station to a self-serve one, *and* installing a charging station! No further detail, although the markings on the plan showed two green parking spaces either side of a unit, which is a common DC fast charging layout.

No real other detail, but it's a minor tidbit of info, and shows how far charging infrastructure has come when a tractor showroom is installing one!

Reactions: Vostok
@Chuq Do you know when the Oatlands site will be available?
It isn't shown in Chargefox yet and not listed in EHT's "Coming Soon" page (even though I understand that is who is responsible for its installation).
Not sure yet! Can't be that far away since it's being advertised on the installer's FB page. EHT is a bit slow to update their website (their 24 kW sites at Maydena, Triabunna and Ouse aren't listed there yet) so I reckon the Chargefox app would be the first place it would show up.

Those Kempower units seem to have a great layout. And such long and stretchy cables by the looks of it.

Hopefully we see more of these around as more and more cars are on the road with their plugs in different spots.

With all this latest new it definitely seems like my next trip to Tasmania will definitely be even easier than the last, and it's not like the last was difficult at all.

Both Exeter and George Town received grants! ( Details here - Tasmanian Fast / Ultra Fast chargers ) so expect to see them built in 2023.

Nothing like that for Stanley, although curiously, a few months ago, there was a DA submitted for a tractor showroom at the corner of the Stanley and Bass Highways... and it included converting the service station next door into an unmanned site, and adding a charging station! No details as to speed, or anything else - but it looked like this on the plans:

1671533153998.png

1671533176365.png

Nothing concrete but it's interesting what sorts of businesses are getting involved!

A look at one of EHT's 25 kW DC sites.

These are for very remote locations, tiny towns even by Tassie standards! (If anyone is familiar with Derby, Maydena or Ouse, congratulations!)

They are typically located at mid-points between the main sites. The intention is to cover:
  • Those who need a backup/alternate site for their main sites
  • Those who misjudge their remaining range and are at risk of not making it to the next site
  • Those with shorter range EVs (a lot of second hand Leafs in Tassie) to still travel around freely
  • Or simply those who would rather stop at a different location

Connected to a 22 kW supply, they include a 24 kW ABB DC charger (with CCS2 and Chademo) and a 22 kW ChargeMate unit (with a Type 2 socket) by JetCharge. One of the three can be used at a time. I *think* the card reader on the ABB can accept credit card as well as Chargefox RFID/App payment.

Note the camera at the top of the unit as well.

Of course the highlight is the custom designed cabinet which houses the whole lot, including the signage and camera at the top and isolator switches for both the AC and DC units, in a very tidy form factor!

Pic of the Derby unit below:

lecjvzB.png