Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tearing in Tesla's Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the more interesting things they report is that they found a big Iron weight in the front of the car taking the place of the front motor when the car is only rear wheel drive. At 7:00
That's not what they said though. They said there was a "lump of iron" attached to the "upper control arm". And not that it was in place of the front motor, but rather necessary for the motor in AWD models.

Having watched @Ingineer 's recent video, I don't recall seeing anything on a control arm... there was however clearly a large motor mount bracket on an cross member. I wonder if that's what they meant.

That's not what they said though. They said there was a "lump of iron" attached to the "upper control arm". And not that it was in place of the front motor, but rather necessary for the motor in AWD models.

Having watched @Ingineer 's recent video, I don't recall seeing anything on a control arm... there was however clearly a large motor mount bracket on an cross member. I wonder if that's what they meant.

Oh okay I guess that makes more sense. I first interpreted it as taking the place of the motor, so that the safety or whatever
testing would all be the same without having to retest the all-wheel drive version

They also said they were impressed by a 5 bar linkage transmission. Now they don't mean a typical transmission but there is something about four bar and 5 bar linkages where 5 bar is better. I can't tell what they're referring to though.

Oh okay I guess that makes more sense. I first interpreted it as taking the place of the motor, so that the safety or whatever
testing would all be the same without having to retest the all-wheel drive version

They also said they were impressed by a 5 bar linkage transmission. Now they don't mean a typical transmission but there is something about four bar and 5 bar linkages where 5 bar is better. I can't tell what they're referring to though.
I think he meant suspension and not transmission.

You can see both the front engine cavity and what I think he's talking about in the rear with the 5 bar suspension (not transmission) in this new video. Model 3 Teardown - What's under the Frunk?

P.S. That video is 2nd is a series of two, and refers to the first one a few times. The first video is at the top of that thread. It runs through a lot of the gear under the cover in the frunk, and does an initial peek at the front engine cavity, too.

In order to extract people from the rear seats, esp. if all 3 rear seats are occupied, which is easier?

- by opening the rear door
- breaking the window and pulling them out via the rear window, also risking the possibility of cuts to the rescuer and people inside

Obviously that would depend on whether or not the rear door was damaged or not preventing it from simply being opened in which case breaking the window etc is easier. Or what if the window was already broken from the accident? See, I can play the hypothetical game too. Stop being dramatic and a fear monger.

Yes, the first video was biased (I think mostly from the AutoLine host), but truth is all negative reviews by industry people should be used as a feedback loop to Tesla to make improvements. Tesla should use a third party review company, like Munro, to preview and critique their products. (If they don't already).