Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Advisor: Price increase on Model Y coming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the big deal? If you're worried about a price increase, lay down $100 to lock in your price... you have up to a year to take delivery.

Good idea. I'll place the reservation deposit to lock in current prices, and wait and see how the RWD Model Y is priced.

There has been some precedent with Tesla using pending price increases as a sales tactic -- Autopilot and FSD price hike, for instance -- and in those instances, I think they've followed through (at least temporarily). So I will err on the side of caution.

How do I know which part of my statement? The price of the MY may go down due to increased competition for sales. The Mach e is somewhat of a clone of the MY. It’s eligible for the $7.5k fed tax credit, it’s similar in size, acceleration, range, technology. It’s real competition, especially for folks that prefer the manufacturers that have been around for a century. It has a 98 kWh battery that may be opened up more for the user to have even more range than the MY.
You can be easy right. But when it comes to car manufactures, and that includes Tesla. "Seeing is Believing". As for $7.5 fed tax credit most people can't even use most of it, it will help sell cars and something is better than nothing. As for the OTA's, "if there is any" The Dealers Association is not going for that. They will call it a repair, or an add on. You bring in your car, and charge you for it. It's always easier to lower prices than it is to raise them. You can be right Mach-e may be the best EV made. I have to see it to know that.

You can be easy right. But when it comes to car manufactures, and that includes Tesla. "Seeing is Believing". As for $7.5 fed tax credit most people can't even use most of it, it will help sell cars and something is better than nothing. As for the OTA's, "if there is any" The Dealers Association is not going for that. They will call it a repair, or an add on. You bring in your car, and charge you for it. It's always easier to lower prices than it is to raise them. You can be right Mach-e may be the best EV made. I have to see it to know that.

The fact that the front emblem spells F-O-R-D is a deal breaker. No way.

• Funny
Reactions: Reborn
To those saying it's a pressure/sales tactic, perhaps... but perhaps not. I had my Tesla advisor call me advising the same thing back during the last week of August 2013, and I listened and placed my deposit.

Sure enough, to his word, prices increased at the start of September. Saved me thousands (around $8,000 CAD if memory serves based on the options I had selected).

So, who knows, but it's not outside the realm of possibility that he's telling you the truth.

Scare tactics probably..

Do you think they work on commission? I don't. In others words, they don't really care if you buy the car or not, so why would they make up lies like a normal car salesman to get you to buy now? Oh, don't get me wrong, they lie all the time, but they lie to get you off the phone and so they don't have to do any actual work, but not to sell cars.

I'm thinking there actually could be a slight price bump, less of just a price increase because demand is high or the car cost a lot to make, and more to make room for the rear wheel drive version. The AWD Model Y can be had for as low as $49,990 and the AMD Model 3 can be as low as $46,990. That's not much wiggle room for a rear wheel drive Model Y to fit in. For many people the front motor isn't going to be a huge deal to them, so if you can "step into" a Model Y for like $1,000 more than a Model 3 AWD, that might be the case for almost everyone, and then you're just not moving Model 3. Maybe Tesla doesn't care, but that basically shows there was room on the table for a slightly more expensive Model Y crossover since they have a fully electric long range vehicle for cheaper that isn't capturing it's section of the market. In addition, you're adding complexity for Tesla when what, the difference from RWD Model Y and AWD is $1,500 or something? We've seen FSD jump $1,000 off a slightly better software release coming out...

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw AWD jump maybe $1,500 to $2,000 to make more room for a RWD Model... your "10% larger" Model Y would be approx "10% more expensive" than the Model 3 version of it, a price jump of ~$1,700 from today's price.

Model Y AWD - $51,990
$2,500 price difference
Model Y RWD - $49,960
$2,500 price difference
Model 3 AWD - $46,990

That gives a bit more room to slot your new Model Y trim in without being to close to the price of another vehicle that has roughly the same range and same interior style...

I mean seriously, if the Model Y RWD was within $1,500 of the AWD I think you're likely to have more people just switch to white so they can essentially step up to the AWD (more performance and better traction) for almost the same price. In addition, if you could just ditch a color option and essentially step up from a smaller Model 3 into a larger Model Y, I think you would have a lot of people do that...

As of late 2019, Tesla sales ended commissions on sales. They do, however, get bonuses awarded through stock options when goals are achieved.

So let's analyze this... Either the information is legit or not.

Option 1 - Legit. We assume the Tesla Advisor, due to his position in the company, has confidential insider information not yet released publicly -- Information that would also be covered under SEC disclosure rules. The Tesla Advisor, being the good person he is, contacts you with this confidential information -- even at the risk of being fired for releasing confidential information in volition of his NDA and simultaneously putting his company under additional scrutiny by the SEC. Bottom line: Your advisor is willing to risk being fired to help you get a good deal.

Option 2 - Scare Tactic. We have to assume the Tesla Advisor has no confidential insider information. He knows nothing more than we do. He is, in effect, making a bold face lie to scare you into making a purchase decision that will in turn, enact or increase his bonus. Bottom line: Your advisor is lying to make a sale.

Option 3 - Scare Tactic Conspiracy: It is the Tesla Advisor's manager(s) who choose to release confidential information (or lie) to their Tesla Advisor employees and perhaps even encourage the Tesla Advisors to use this confidential/incorrect information to a) help customers or b) close sales that influences their bonus structure. The Tesla Advisor is acting in good faith but the organization above them is corrupt. Bottom line: Some portion of Tesla's sales management structure is corrupt.

Are there any other options?

No scenario here is good for Tesla (or any company) longterm. As for reality, we can only wait and see. If we were betting, I know where I'd put my money.

Last edited:
If they rise the price even for $100 they will lose many customers, me included, many other options are coming next year with much better price.

Are you telling me MY will cost soon as Etron Prestige ?

Since RWD is coming soon i guess all prices will be adjusted for all models, including M3 which cost almost same as MY, we will have new (more) range soon too, If AWD gets bump in range and price thats ok, i will buy it because of more range, but telling me you are going to rise the price for current model without any extras and with crappy QC that is big NO !

• Funny
If they rise the price even for $100 they will lose many customers, me included, many other options are coming next year with much better price.

Since RWD is coming soon i guess all prices will be adjusted for all models, including M3 which cost almost same as MY, we will have new (more) range soon too, If AWD gets bump in range and price thats ok, i will buy it because of more range, but telling me you are going to rise the price for current model without any extras and with crappy QC that is big NO !

Well Panasonic already came out and said they were updating a cell line for the Model Y/3 sized cell that would result in a 5% density increase. It was set to be online "mid September" with other lines being updated over time. One could assume there will be some range bump at some point, even if it's just a 15 to 16 mile range boost from this +5% energy density... could that be worth a $1500 to $2,000 price bump to fit the RWD vehicle in without it being priced to close to either the AWD 3 or the AWD Y? Maybe?

As of late 2019, Tesla sales ended commissions on sales. They do, however, get bonuses awarded through stock options when goals are achieved.

So let's analyze this... Either the information is legit or not.

Option 1 - Legit. We assume the Tesla Advisor, due to his position in the company, has confidential insider information not yet released publicly -- Information that would also be covered under SEC disclosure rules. The Tesla Advisor, being the good person he is, contacts you with this confidential information -- even at the risk of being fired for releasing confidential information in volition of his NDA and simultaneously putting his company under additional scrutiny by the SEC. Bottom line: Your advisor is willing to risk being fired to help you get a good deal.

Option 2 - Scare Tactic. We have to assume the Tesla Advisor has no confidential insider information. He knows nothing more than we do. He is, in effect, making a bold face lie to scare you into making a purchase decision that will in turn, enact or increase his bonus. Bottom line: Your advisor is lying to make a sale.

Option 3 - Scare Tactic Conspiracy: It is the Tesla Advisor's manager(s) who choose to release confidential information (or lie) to their Tesla Advisor employees and perhaps even encourage the Tesla Advisors to use this confidential/incorrect information to a) help customers or b) close sales that influences their bonus structure. The Tesla Advisor is acting in good faith but the organization above them is corrupt. Bottom line: Some portion of Tesla's sales management structure is corrupt.

Are there any other options?

No scenario here is good for Tesla (or any company) longterm. As for reality, we can only wait and see. If we were betting, I know where I'd put my money.

I wonder if Elon discloses to the SEC constantly when he tweets about FSD prices increasing "soon" or "will go up by $1,000 soon!" or any of his other price related tweets... I could easily see a configuration showing up in their backend system for a RWD vehicle with a price holder in place and maybe it just doesn't make sense with how close it is to the AWD price and the sales guy is just thinking the AWD will have to bump up a bit...

I see delivery has moved back in a bit to 5-9 weeks. So are we saying that you could order now and slip delivery to, say, March? Assuming 9 weeks, that puts me at the second/third week of Nov. At that point, I'd much rather wait until the weather gets better in March. If they were to contact me in Nov, could I say, no thanks, put me in March? And if delivery again improves after the quarter close, and a car became available in Oct, could I still defer to March?

I'm also unsure as to whether I want the AWD or RWD, so was kind of holding off for that announcement.

I wonder if Elon discloses to the SEC constantly when he tweets about FSD prices increasing "soon" or "will go up by $1,000 soon!" or any of his other price related tweets... I could easily see a configuration showing up in their backend system for a RWD vehicle with a price holder in place and maybe it just doesn't make sense with how close it is to the AWD price and the sales guy is just thinking the AWD will have to bump up a bit...

Elon's Tweets are "official" public statements - or at least they were. Tesla notified the SEC in 2013 that it intended to use Musk’s Twitter account as a means of announcing material information about Tesla and encouraging investors to review Musk’s tweets. Not sure what may have transpired after all the $420 sanctions.

I see delivery has moved back in a bit to 5-9 weeks. So are we saying that you could order now and slip delivery to, say, March? Assuming 9 weeks, that puts me at the second/third week of Nov. At that point, I'd much rather wait until the weather gets better in March. If they were to contact me in Nov, could I say, no thanks, put me in March? And if delivery again improves after the quarter close, and a car became available in Oct, could I still defer to March?

I'm also unsure as to whether I want the AWD or RWD, so was kind of holding off for that announcement.
That might be a toss up... some people have reported that they've been asked to take delivery by the end of the calendar year or have the order cancelled (non-refundable), but I can't remember how long they actually held that order. You could ask a sales advisor if they can unmatch you from a car and just wait till spring if they can't get you in Sep/Oct... it's probably fine, but maybe they have a push to "clear the books" in December for some reason?

Also note that it's $100, ya it sucks, but seriously, $100 to "delay" delivery by cancelling the order and waiting until the winter is over... it's not killer...

Well Panasonic already came out and said they were updating a cell line for the Model Y/3 sized cell that would result in a 5% density increase. It was set to be online "mid September" with other lines being updated over time. One could assume there will be some range bump at some point, even if it's just a 15 to 16 mile range boost from this +5% energy density... could that be worth a $1500 to $2,000 price bump to fit the RWD vehicle in without it being priced to close to either the AWD 3 or the AWD Y? Maybe?

I'm guessing the same, but technically we do not know if they might reduce the # of cells after this change to save cost.

will customers really flee to non tesla EVs? it will be interesting to watch. I can't imagine passing on the supercharger network for .. wahtever claptrap charging is available across the US ... paying wildly different pricing structures, facing non working installations, carrying around a huge ring of RFID tags for all the different "networks" like Bjorn does, what a total drag.

All anyone who doubts EVs as viable travel cars needs to do is go stand on teh side of interstate 5 here in CA for five minutes. You'll probably at least see 1 tesla every five minutes, and usually more. I've seen other EVs of course, but only around town. The freeway as much as I have seen is owned by Tesla.

Certainly this will sort itself out eventually, but how long will it take? the "wild west" of non tesla DC fast charging is nothing I am interested in, even to save thousands of dollars in vehicle cost.