Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Advisor: Price increase on Model Y coming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All anyone who doubts EVs as viable travel cars needs to do is go stand on teh side of interstate 5 here in CA for five minutes. You'll probably at least see 1 tesla every five minutes, and usually more. I've seen other EVs of course, but only around town.
I had a similar observation recently. In San Francisco, we've certainly been used to seeing EVs everywhere you look. But I recently drove through the Sierra foothills and to Yosemite. That part was eye-opening: whereas on previous trips, you pretty much stopped seeing Teslas and other EVs beyond the metro Bay Area, now there were M3s along the entire way and in the valley.

will customers really flee to non tesla EVs? it will be interesting to watch. I can't imagine passing on the supercharger network for .. wahtever claptrap charging is available across the US ... paying wildly different pricing structures, facing non working installations, carrying around a huge ring of RFID tags for all the different "networks" like Bjorn does, what a total drag.

All anyone who doubts EVs as viable travel cars needs to do is go stand on teh side of interstate 5 here in CA for five minutes. You'll probably at least see 1 tesla every five minutes, and usually more. I've seen other EVs of course, but only around town. The freeway as much as I have seen is owned by Tesla.

Certainly this will sort itself out eventually, but how long will it take? the "wild west" of non tesla DC fast charging is nothing I am interested in, even to save thousands of dollars in vehicle cost.

There are couple of EV or EV hybrids coming soon and they cost much less then Tesla plus you get full tax credit back.- $7500
But the problem is they will be out in 4-5 months and i cant wait that long.
If tesla rise their price (already high) more then i have no doubt im going to wait for others.

• Disagree
Reactions: rxlawdude
I cancelled my Y order last week and the next morning I got a call from Tesla encouraging me to re-order to lock in the price. She mentioned "locking in the current price" several times and when I said I was going to wait and see how things went related to quality control and was ok waiting to December (or later), she said that I should lock-in the AWD model now and she could talk to her manager about getting $100 in accessories to cover the order fee. Then, I got a call from Tesla (they weren't aware I cancelled the order) asking if I preferred a September or December delivery. When I told them I cancelled the order, THEY said the same thing... they encouraged me to re-order to lock in the price even if I deferred delivery to 2021.

I have a theory:
  1. There is NO competition (including the Mach-E) available that matches the Y Performance model so I would not be shocked to see a price increase for 2021.
  2. I suspect the RWD pricing isn't going to come in as low as anticipated so increasing the LR-AWD price would make the RWD "discount" appear greater.
  3. Another possibility is that for 2021, the AWD and Performance will get range (and price) increases and the RWD may end up a SR+ with the current AWD range.
Eh. What do I know?

Tesla never used to call customers to give "an friendly advice" and i see they are doing it now all across internet.

My theory - AWD will get more range with price increase $1-3k. And RWD will get current range with total price around $46k.

They are desperate to ship/sell current models right now, they know after battery day many thing will be different and buyers will change their mind.

It seems to me that the RWD would have to cost quite a bit less. Less redundancy, lower power, weaker regen brakes, inferior snow safety, inferior semi-offroad driving... why would you get RWD unless the cost was quite a bit less?

I actually can’t remember a time where Tesla raised the price for the same exact trim. And considering they have a history of dropping prices after the end of each quarter since the federal subsidy was reduced from $7,500, I’d take my chances on waiting if you’re not in the market for a MY right now.

It seems to me that the RWD would have to cost quite a bit less. Less redundancy, lower power, weaker regen brakes, inferior snow safety, inferior semi-offroad driving... why would you get RWD unless the cost was quite a bit less?

When it comes down to manufacturing though really the only difference is the lack of that front motor. Otherwise costs are the same between the two, and if Tesla wants to keep a specific profit margin they might be forced to make a little more room in the pricing structure.

You’re right that it should be decently cheaper, I would think at least a couple thousand, for customers to see it as a good option. But then you get into the problem of the Model 3, do you want an AWD Model 3 and RWD Model Y to cost the same? In all but the northern states that basically makes it a no-duh on buying the Y instead of the 3. You’ve now seriously cut into the pool of Model 3 customers without making more money.

Do you just push everything downwards in price? Maybe... but I’m not sure there have been enough cost cutting to really do that yet, otherwise we might see that Model 3 SR actually get advertised online for $35,800 or whatever price it actually bumped up to...

I think lower prices will come, Elon has said the cars are still expensive, but I think that will need to be when new cheaper cells have reached volume production and possibly cars/factories have been tweaked a little for less labor per car etc.

• Informative
Reactions: Maryland
I actually can’t remember a time where Tesla raised the price for the same exact trim. And considering they have a history of dropping prices after the end of each quarter since the federal subsidy was reduced from $7,500, I’d take my chances on waiting if you’re not in the market for a MY right now.

I think about this time last year the Performance Model 3 was bumped up $1,000 and the SR+ saw a $500 price bump and 10 miles of range added...

If it's meaningful in any way, this email from an advisor was posted to /r/teslamotors on September 8th:

s4ispjrwq0m51-jpg.586057

So either multiple advisors did learn of an upcoming price increase, or multiple advisors are using the same sales tactic.

Tesla never used to call customers to give "an friendly advice" and i see they are doing it now all across internet.

My theory - AWD will get more range with price increase $1-3k. And RWD will get current range with total price around $46k.

They are desperate to ship/sell current models right now, they know after battery day many thing will be different and buyers will change their mind.

I agree AWD will get more range alongwith premium interior and audio, dual motor and a price increase of around $3k. RWD will be similar to M3 i.e. current range, partial premium, regular audio system with single motor with the price range of $46k. This will make the pricing model similar to Model 3

This does appear to be the case.

The 365 days to take delivery in new to me. If this is indeed the case, then putting $100 on the line to hold the price for a year would be a safe bet.

If anyone's considering a Model Y in the next 2-3 months, it might make sense to put money down now even in the absence of a price increase. I'm seeing 5-9 week estimated deliveries for the Model Y on the East coast now, and I'm willing to bet there will be a small wave of increased demand after Battery Day too.

Even if there are no changes to the Model Y announced on Battery Day, so many people are holding off on buying one on the off chance there is a big announcement.

If it's meaningful in any way, this email from an advisor was posted to /r/teslamotors on September 8th:

s4ispjrwq0m51-jpg.586057

So either multiple advisors did learn of an upcoming price increase, or multiple advisors are using the same sales tactic.

Hmm even though I’m picking up my Y in a week, I feel this is being done to boost sales before year-end. I won’t be surprised if the price actually dropped or they add additional incentives like 5000miles of supercharging to meet sales goals. It happened last year. The price went down like 2k and additional 4K supercharging , a couple of weeks after I bought my 3. I was not a happy camper

Hmm even though I’m picking up my Y in a week, I feel this is being done to boost sales before year-end. I won’t be surprised if the price actually dropped or they add additional incentives like 5000miles of supercharging to meet sales goals. It happened last year. The price went down like 2k and additional 4K supercharging , a couple of weeks after I bought my 3. I was not a happy camper

When was that? It seems like it would be unusual to discount in q4, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it happened in Q1 or (more likely) after Texas is operational.

When was that? It seems like it would be unusual to discount in q4, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it happened in Q1 or (more likely) after Texas is operational.

The price decrease happened in the 2nd quarter. You may be right but then again, we’re in a pandemic. People are not running out to get new cars like previous years. They may give more incentives to be able to make their end of year projections.

will customers really flee to non tesla EVs? it will be interesting to watch. I can't imagine passing on the supercharger network for .. wahtever claptrap charging is available across the US ... paying wildly different pricing structures, facing non working installations, carrying around a huge ring of RFID tags for all the different "networks" like Bjorn does, what a total drag.

All anyone who doubts EVs as viable travel cars needs to do is go stand on teh side of interstate 5 here in CA for five minutes. You'll probably at least see 1 tesla every five minutes, and usually more. I've seen other EVs of course, but only around town. The freeway as much as I have seen is owned by Tesla.

Certainly this will sort itself out eventually, but how long will it take? the "wild west" of non tesla DC fast charging is nothing I am interested in, even to save thousands of dollars in vehicle cost.

Supercharger network means nothing to me and many others / my friends.
We need EV for city driving.
If my Tesla comes with at least 400 of REAL miles i would consider long trips.
Depends where you live but i would never take my family with 2 kids to long trips with Tesla (AZ,NV,CA).
Its not just Supercharger network, our car need to be dependable and Tesla at this moment is not.
Way too many issues with AC,MU.....
Of course Tesla fan boys will say its not true.
I have recently read stories from locals and problems they had this summer (Las Vegas-Phoenix)

I cancelled my Y order last week and the next morning I got a call from Tesla encouraging me to re-order to lock in the price. She mentioned "locking in the current price" several times and when I said I was going to wait and see how things went related to quality control and was ok waiting to December (or later), she said that I should lock-in the AWD model now and she could talk to her manager about getting $100 in accessories to cover the order fee. Then, I got a call from Tesla (they weren't aware I cancelled the order) asking if I preferred a September or December delivery. When I told them I cancelled the order, THEY said the same thing... they encouraged me to re-order to lock in the price even if I deferred delivery to 2021.

I have a theory:
  1. There is NO competition (including the Mach-E) available that matches the Y Performance model so I would not be shocked to see a price increase for 2021.
  2. I suspect the RWD pricing isn't going to come in as low as anticipated so increasing the LR-AWD price would make the RWD "discount" appear greater.
  3. Another possibility is that for 2021, the AWD and Performance will get range (and price) increases and the RWD may end up a SR+ with the current AWD range.
Eh. What do I know?

To me, that sounds like no one is buying the Y. Although it seems like theres plenty of demand on this forum, its not a good representation because a lot of car buyers do not visit forums.
Not a lot of people can afford a 55k car, especially since the US is still in a pandemic (I don't wanna get political but the government can suck my balls).

So if Tesla raises the price of the LR AWD by 3k dollars, then all they're doing is effectively putting the price back to where it was before they lowered the base price by 3k dollars.

I put my order in this past February, so I was already a buyer at the pre-3k dollar price slash. They lowered the price and I have still not taken delivery, so if they bump the price back to the where it was in Feb when I ordered then no-harm-no-foul for me personally. Sure, a 3k dollar savings sounded like a great deal, but it still wasn't good enough to make me want to accept delivery with my current situation of not needing another car coupled with the garbage QC Tesla has demonstrated.

Reactions: saltsman