Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Alternative?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I shall soon be departing the Tesla brotherhood, as I agreed the sale of our 2017 MX today. So it heads to a new owner in the midlands at the end of the week.

I hope to keep an interest in the brand and will no doubt end up charging at opened Tesla Superchargers from time to time.

Thanks for the good times, be kind to one another 👍
Have you jumped to another EV? What have you gone for out of curiosity?

A Swedish company is making flat-pack cars – but it’s not the one you think​

If style isn’t your thing, here’s an alternative. Love the brake and throttle.

No one would complain about the Tesla seats again.

CNN —
Parked at the curbside of a tree-lined street, Luvly O looks a lot like any other small car. Boxy but sleek, the modern-classic aesthetic of the cream-colored vehicle embodies Scandi minimalism. It wouldn’t look out of place in an IKEA showroom — for more reasons than one.

That’s because, much like the products sold by the Swedish furniture giant, it’s designed to be delivered to its destination flat-packed.

The two-seater has a range of 100 kilometers (62 miles) -- which covers most daily commutes, according to the company.

1696854495699.jpeg

NVCMPSNJDZFUPGHLYU67PFA6RI.png

IMG_1061.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: WyoDude

A Swedish company is making flat-pack cars – but it’s not the one you think​

If style isn’t your thing, here’s an alternative. Love the brake and throttle.

No one would complain about the Tesla seats again.

CNN —
Parked at the curbside of a tree-lined street, Luvly O looks a lot like any other small car. Boxy but sleek, the modern-classic aesthetic of the cream-colored vehicle embodies Scandi minimalism. It wouldn’t look out of place in an IKEA showroom — for more reasons than one.

That’s because, much like the products sold by the Swedish furniture giant, it’s designed to be delivered to its destination flat-packed.

The two-seater has a range of 100 kilometers (62 miles) -- which covers most daily commutes, according to the company.

View attachment 980843

NVCMPSNJDZFUPGHLYU67PFA6RI.png

View attachment 980846

but but but.... why?!

giphy.gif

WHO in the sane mind would want to drive this atrocity?!

• Funny
Reactions: ACarneiro
My issue with Tesla, is that (ironically) they have got the difficult things right ie the SuC network, great performance, and very competitive miles/kwh efficiency. Competitors are struggling to match this, and it will take massive investment to beat Tesla in these areas. Oddly, Tesla don’t need to improve other things too much to make all-round great cars ie interior quality, better ergonomics, and a few more colours/trims to mean that yours not driving the same car as your neighbour.

What do they do? They strip back features like parking sensors, and then go even further by removing indicator and gear stalks.

I’d love them to make a car that combines the Tesla drivetrain with German/Japanese build quality/ergonomics, but they seem intent on a race to the bottom in these areas. They’re leaving an open goal for someone (a Chinese firm) to make a more ICE-like EV.

No it won't. The Supercharger network is being opened up to all now so the competitors won't need to invest in their own charging networks
May not always be 'competitors' in the car maker space, but rather any company.

The volume of ultrafast public chargers has basically doubled in the last year alone in the UK. The non-Tesla supercharger alternatives have finally begun to arrive in scale and geographic spread.

Although I will say that Tesla are obviously very competitive on price and of course functionality and ease of use (at least as far as Tesla cars charging natively on Superchargers) remains pre-eminent

No it won't. The Supercharger network is being opened up to all now so the competitors won't need to invest in their own charging networks
So far, only a small proportion of SuC are open to non-Tesla, so it’ll be a while. Competitors are somewhat behind. I was also referring to the performance/efficiency/cost of the Tesla drivetrain, which again competitors are struggling to match. All of these will take considerable investment to close the gap. Ironically, Tesla just need to use a bit of common sense and tweak a few of the established “car” qualities of their vehicles, but the insist on cost-cutting to the point of making their cars worse.

I’d love them to make a car that combines the Tesla drivetrain with German/Japanese build quality/ergonomics, but they seem intent on a race to the bottom in these areas. They’re leaving an open goal for someone (a Chinese firm) to make a more ICE-like EV.

I'm looking at this: New BYD Seal 2023 review | Auto Express It's not as good drivetrain wise from an efficiency point of view, but the rest of it really suits my tastes, looking at the dual motor version.

Reactions: MkPotato
It's always good to have alternatives but let's be honest here. Tesla sells every single car they can make and makes a sold margin. Clearly they are balancing their product better than anyone. There's pretty much no other profitable EV manufacturer - all the competitively priced alternatives are heavily subsidized by ICE sales. In the case of BYD and NIO the case is different, their funding seems to a certain degree of magic (China).

It's great to have options, and while Tesla has an enormous tech and manufacturing advantage, it's not given that they choose to apply this to products that suits our needs of preferred product segment. The secret plan clearly states the goal is to expand volumes by lowering the unit price. There's no mystery here.

Feels like a win-win if you ask me. Tesla sells energy and applies the profit towards product development.

Long term though. Tesla has such an advantage it's hard to see how the current major players are going to be able to survive.

Reactions: WyoDude and spdpsba
On a curious sidenote, I have a colleague who has a still functioning Nokia 6650. It's a strangely beautiful piece of technology - completely outdated but the tactile feel is still appealing.

So perhaps there will still be a market for more manual options in the future; you know, with steering wheel stalks and perhaps even manual drive option ;)
1696931862891.jpeg

On a curious sidenote, I have a colleague who has a still functioning Nokia 6650. It's a strangely beautiful piece of technology - completely outdated but the tactile feel is still appealing.

So perhaps there will still be a market for more manual options in the future; you know, with steering wheel stalks and perhaps even manual drive option ;)
View attachment 981076
You lost my Thumbs up on this one :). This clearly highlight the problem the legacy car makers are saddled with and going down the same route as Nokia!

Reactions: WyoDude and init6