Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Alternative?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sort of agree. But my big gripes with the Model 3 are the crashy ride and the road noise. There are so many EVs now that are way, way better in these things. Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem like Highland has made more than minor improvements in either so I’m just hoping the public charging infrastructure improves enough for me to go with another brand next time.
Where did you get your information that the Highland is only marginally better…everything that I’ve read suggests it has a good ride with good insulation

Reactions: WyoDude
Which is - how often? You used only 6%. SC and out of this may be you used couple of times others? As @Jason71 mentioned you are statistically insignificant!
I jumped ship back in May and have covered 9000 miles since, i have yet to come across a broken charger and have only used a Tesla SuC once. I went to Surrey and back yesterday and IONITY plug and charged worked as always, as did the empty bank of shell recharge on the A1 on the way back with another 4 instavolts 5 miles further up. I'll be taking the car to Spain in December...... I have no regrets...

I'm guessing you own a Highland or have driven extensive miles in one?

Oh, you haven't? Guess you also have no idea what you're talking about.

By that logic neither does the person saying there haven't been significant improvements in ride comfort and road noise. Various reviewers have suggested at least some improvement in those areas. How much and whether that's sufficient for somebody is subjective.

Reactions: WyoDude
That person referenced the opinion of a reviewer who has indeed driven the car. So no, it doesn't.

But they have no hands on exeperience with the car themselves. They referenced one single review to form their opinion. You claimed @WyoDude's opinion (which is based on other more positive reviews of the car, of which there are many) is somehow invalid because they haven't driven the car themselves. Do you not see the double standards here?

Last edited:
Very few SC sites in the UK are open to non-Tesla.
Tesla have always said that when they have enough competition, they will open them all up. There are quite a lot of high speed chargers about now, but the motorway network is still patchy, mostly due to not having enough power at the services. A load of cash has been allocated to sort out it out and this is starting to pay off and we are seeing chargers going into services e.g. Scotch Corner. Most of the planned improvements to power are due by April, although a small number have planning issues.

The lease on my M3P is due up in just under a year and I’ll probably look at a M3LR and will hopefully test drive a Highland when they become available. I’m probably also going to test drive a long range single motor Polestar 2 as well. I wasn’t impressed with the range & charging speed of the Polestar before, but they have also done bit of a refresh with more efficient motors and faster charging. We now have a scheme to get them through work, and the Polestar seems to be quite a bit cheaper for a similar list price.

Buyers tend to want the best of everything, but unfortunately that vehicle has not yet been produced.

Tesla is kind of a tweener. It provides a comprimise between ride and handling. Many love it's sports car handling, but others want a more cushy ride.

Can't please everyone, especially forum posters.

Believe that Tesla is spot on making suspension, noise level, design and interior improvements for their offerings. This will appeal to more people and only increase demand for their cars. Of course, Mercedes, BMW Audi and others are making cars that ride and handle even better. There is usually a higher cost to obtain these cars, and they often, themselves, fall short on range, on the road charging systems, electronics, infotainment, OTA updates, pricing, ethical dealerships etc.

Easy to complain that one company falls short in a specific offering, while failing to embrace their superior achievements in another area.

Example. My X is not perfect in every respect, but overall it is the best car I have ever owned. YMMV

This is the issue for me. Robert @ Fully Charged tested the Highland and siad the noise leveles were reduced, but not significantly. My 2019 M3P is just too noisy, so I think I'll be moving away from Tesla soon.
Double panel glass was supposed to make a huge difference to noise levels when it was introduced on the M3. In reality any improvement was absolutely negligible. I’ll believe there’s a significant improvement with Highland when I see it, or rather hear it.

Reactions: rincewind
Buyers tend to want the best of everything, but unfortunately that vehicle has not yet been produced.

Tesla is kind of a tweener. It provides a comprimise between ride and handling. Many love it's sports car handling, but others want a more cushy ride.

Can't please everyone, especially forum posters.

Believe that Tesla is spot on making suspension, noise level, design and interior improvements for their offerings. This will appeal to more people and only increase demand for their cars. Of course, Mercedes, BMW Audi and others are making cars that ride and handle even better. There is usually a higher cost to obtain these cars, and they often, themselves, fall short on range, on the road charging systems, electronics, infotainment, OTA updates, pricing, ethical dealerships etc.

Easy to complain that one company falls short in a specific offering, while failing to embrace their superior achievements in another area.

Example. My X is not perfect in every respect, but overall it is the best car I have ever owned. YMMV
💯

That person referenced the opinion of a reviewer who has indeed driven the car. So no, it doesn't.
Also this reviewer doesn’t own the car nor did they put extensive miles on it, so they fall short of the standard you put forth as well, while you were hedging your bets on a response, haha.

Well, like probably 99.9% of people on this forum (UK), I’ve not driven the car - but there are several reviews on YT etc by people who have experience of the old Model 3 who say the improvements are only small.

Here’s an example:

Also just a handful of quotes from the YouTube video:
“yeah, definitely a very, very big upgrade”

“With this version, definitely a quality product”

“Wow, tesla good job”

“for me this is way to loud” stating his personal preference followed by “The new one is definitely more silent”

“This is a remarkable update, actually it’s too big of an update to call it an update, this really is a new model 3”

“Fantastic car, great job by Tesla”

It’s like you guys didn’t actually listen to review put forth to back your opinion, geez.

By that logic neither does the person saying there haven't been significant improvements in ride comfort and road noise. Various reviewers have suggested at least some improvement in those areas. How much and whether that's sufficient for somebody is subjective.
I agree with this. I'm sure the Highland is better, just as the 2021 facelift car was quieter than the earlier version. But the increment in the 21 facelift was small (IMHO), despite many claims that it was much improved. Maybe the Highland will be a bigger improvement and maybe I'll be happy with it. But until I drive it I won't know. What I do know is that my current Model 3, despite being a super car in many ways (and which BTW I've now owned for four years and am generally very happy with), suffers badly from road noise and the ride is crashy on uneven surfaces. I really want my next car to be an improvement in these areas.

I do of course realise that there is no perfect car. My wife had an ID3 for a couple of years (recently sold on) and it had a very quiet and refined ride and a really nicely setup suspension for daily driving. But it was a disaster software wise and lacked basic EV features like pre-conditioning for rapid charging and a decent journey/charging planner.