Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Alternative?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Until it’s slow, obsolete and no longer gets any updates like an old phone
I don't see it slowing down like a phone because the day to day use is fairly standard car stuff rather than phone apps. I guess the browser might slow down?
I suppose we could ask the people with twelve year old model S whether they experience this. Or seven year old model 3. Both beyond average tech update periods yet still recieving them.

They barely update because the software that came installed used to be solid and worked exactly the same in year 10 as it did on day 10.

You have to question whether it’s really necessary to add a new game or mess about with the controls every few months

OTA has made manufacturers get lazy/sloppy with their infotainment systems
Swings and roundabouts. Yes maybe not the games but it’s nice to get some new features added that weren’t there originally. It’s the way the market has gone on all devices really that are Internet connected, you can ship before the software is perfect and fix it up later.

I mean all the things they’ve added down the line like Dog Mode, Sentry Mode, Apple Music, etc, etc. If you wanted new features in an old car you had to sell it and buy a whole new one.

Take the Matrix headlights that are finally coming to older cars. If this was BMW they’d have made you sell up and buy a highland probably.

Reactions: Doudeau and spdpsba
If this was BMW they’d have made you sell up and buy a highland probably.
No, they'd have just sold you the car with the functionality available from day 1 😂

None of this rubbish of future promises that may or may not come to pass.

I don't think cars really need that many buttons, the thing kept on beeping as well, absolutely horrific user experience.
The fact they're selling more cars suggest you're in the minority...

They barely update because the software that came installed used to be solid and worked exactly the same in year 10 as it did on day 10.

You have to question whether it’s really necessary to add a new game or mess about with the controls every few months

Hyundai on the other hand. ....Got a problem with pre-conditioning.... They give you a phone number and tell you to call bluelink... So much for here is a problem, please fix it...

The problem/fix with OTA updates, its the vertical integration which no one else yet has. Sticking to the devil you know is probably the main driver to Teslas success... because people wanted a change!

Im refraining myself from commenting on peoples views on 12v battery costs etc with Tesla as obviously they never needed to have this done with other manufactures. However from memory... PTC heater about £650 from Tesla... 1k plus from Hyundai (problem still not fixed).... 12v battery at £180 tops from Tesla... £370 from Hyundai (£50 cost Diy for the best battery available)

My personal opinion is that you must be a plebe but I suppose we all have an experience to tell so its neither here nor there tbh and as far as im concerned 🙂

Depends which side of the mean your minority is in, of course ;)
I have zero issue been in the minority of people who cannot stand Toyota products, the Corrola we rented on our honeymoon in New Zealand remains the WORST car I have ever driven. It was so frustrating driving around some of the most beautiful and empty roads on the planet, but stuck inside a F*** Corrola that had as much engagement with the road as the current Tory party has with the real world.

Despite taking 1497 photos on the trip, there isn't a single one that had the Corrola in it, maybe decades on I still have PTSD from how utterly awful that car was in one of the most picturesque places in the world......a life where you aim to gravitate to the mean, and thinking differently is seen as a bad thing....no thank you :).

7039280487_56ccbff89d_c_d.jpg

We are well beyond keyless relay theft now it seems.
Having watched videos on how these days many cars a thief can steal in seconds with a laptop and software you can buy on dark web for a few quid i find the potential ability to patch security OTA quite reasuring.

Having watched videos on how these days many cars a thief can steal in seconds with a laptop and software you can buy on dark web for a few quid i find the potential ability to patch security OTA quite reasuring.

My wife couldn't care less about cars, as long as it has a heater and a radio she's happy. I've tried to get her something a bit newer/more range but she doesn't want to 'learn' another car 🙄

Mine was very happy with here toyota aygo that I bought for her and she had for nearly 5 years and that was coming from a top of the range fiesta tdci with ford let us down. Unfortunately Toyota let us down as well and I traded it in for an a1 sportline dsg that she didn't particularly want (the money spent on), never mind the Tesla. and this is our timeline... failure after failure and fed up with upselling techniques...

She is tighter than me for spending on cars, never mind tech but for all ive shown her, she regrets nothing looking back... If it was down to her we would still have a 32" CRT or lcd TV but she would not go back to one after the 55" but im not stopping there. They just need a little push sometimes.

Having said that, this is just my story and everyone is different.. she's also never been keen/bothered to drive any of my sports/fast cars but I know that she has a little soft spot for my Y which gave me hope for her to have it, sell her M3 and have an S plaid but that went to pot.

My view is that she deserves it and best me send the money on her other than her spend my/our money on someone else 🤭

Mine was very happy with here toyota aygo that I bought for her and she had for nearly 5 years and that was coming from a top of the range fiesta tdci with ford let us down. Unfortunately Toyota let us down as well and I traded it in for an a1 sportline dsg that she didn't particularly want (the money spent on), never mind the Tesla. and this is our timeline... failure after failure and fed up with upselling techniques...

She is tighter than me for spending on cars, never mind tech but for all ive shown her, she regrets nothing looking back... If it was down to her we would still have a 32" CRT or lcd TV but she would not go back to one after the 55" but im not stopping there. They just need a little push sometimes.

Having said that, this is just my story and everyone is different.. she's also never been keen/bothered to drive any of my sports/fast cars but I know that she has a little soft spot for my Y which gave me hope for her to have it, sell her M3 and have an S plaid but that went to pot.

My view is that she deserves it and best me send the money on her other than her spend my/our money on someone else 🤭
The TV things always bugs me with my wife. "No you cannot have the larger TV, it'll take over the room" and then a week later... "It's a bit small, we should have got the larger one". Argh.

• Informative
Reactions: Js1977 and Bouba

I was amazed how easy it was to 'brick' or change fundamental functions like engine timings on a E/F series BMW all via the OBD port and freely avaliable software back when I modding my old 335i. There was pretty much zero security checks and though I never explored it, am pretty sure cloning a new key wasn't hard to do.

Now in 2024, judging by how easy it is to nick our Lexus without even accessing the OBD port and Lexus's only solution is to put a metal plate over the wheel arch where theifs access the CANbus suggests to me Lexus at least has no real ideas on how to protect/patch a cars firmware to have more security.

I have no idea how secure or not the Tesla software code is to access though.

I was amazed how easy it was to 'brick' or change fundamental functions like engine timings on a E/F series BMW all via the OBD port and freely avaliable software back when I modding my old 335i. There was pretty much zero security checks and though I never explored it, am pretty sure cloning a new key wasn't hard to do.

Now in 2024, judging by how easy it is to nick our Lexus without even accessing the OBD port and Lexus's only solution is to put a metal plate over the wheel arch where theifs access the CANbus suggests to me Lexus at least has no real ideas on how to protect/patch a cars firmware to have more security.

There’s a CAN port outside??? 🤦🏻‍♂️

I agree, being able to update cars over the air can hugely help reduce vehicle thefts if they patch the ways they are stealing the cars. All old cars that are easy to steal of course need recalls which unless it gets to Land Rover levels just won’t happen.

I’ll take some of the bugs and issues we get with OTA updates any day as the advantages, this being just one is much better.