Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Alternative?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought this....View attachment 947611View attachment 947612

The interior is lovely too, i'm not disappointed.

Im glad you're happy with it but I can see you are a bit Yo-yo ... From M3sr+ which is probably as practical not more than this, more efficient and better performance... then model y which was even better bar less sporty handling and the m3 but I would guess better than this?. My point being that some of us know where we were, where they are and where they want to be next. The interior is in line with the early a class AMG but I still went golf R back then. Horses for courses at the end of the day but it does not deter me from saying, Im glad you're happy with it ...nice car but not for me.:) 👍

I bought this, it does some things way way better than a Tesla, such as ride quality, refinement, build quality, quietness and there is a button to release the charge cable next to the socket, whoever would have thought.

It does some things worse though, the regen/brake blending needs work as there can be a very slight jolt when coming to a stop depending on which mode the regen is set to.

You can set the start AND stop of a charging window, however Mercedes do it in reverse and it's a 'charging interruption' so for Octopus Go I have to set an interruption between 0430-1230, but it works and it's saved to my home charging profile.View attachment 947611View attachment 947612

Nice. Spendy, mind.

I think my next car will be a Nio es8 or ec7 with model x and model s rhd being no more. only thing that meets my practicality requirements, looks decent and isn’t stupidly priced for what you get like the EQS SUV.

I bought this, it does some things way way better than a Tesla, such as ride quality, refinement, build quality, quietness and there is a button to release the charge cable next to the socket, whoever would have thought.

It does some things worse though, the regen/brake blending needs work as there can be a very slight jolt when coming to a stop depending on which mode the regen is set to.

You can set the start AND stop of a charging window, however Mercedes do it in reverse and it's a 'charging interruption' so for Octopus Go I have to set an interruption between 0430-1230, but it works and it's saved to my home charging profile.View attachment 947611View attachment 947612

And I guess it occupies 2 super charging spaces :)

You can set the start AND stop of a charging window, however Mercedes do it in reverse and it's a 'charging interruption' so for Octopus Go I have to set an interruption between 0430-1230, but it works and it's saved to my home charging profile.

Looks fantastic, and a lot better in white than the one I test drove (blue one). My only reservations were the small boot and I found the dash to be a bit high/large. I would definitely have had one though. I was well up for ordering one on our salary sacrifice scheme until this month when Mercedes increased the costs dramatically. I think I'll be going for BM i4 40 given the current pricing. Teslas are quite a lot more money.

Reactions: Mr H
fisker-pear-2024-rear-quarter-tracking-render_0.jpg

Was reading an oldish article about the Fisker Pear the other day, and thought this comment from the CFO stood out,

"Chief financial officer Geeta Gupta-Fisker said the Pear will be “driven by software, not hardware”, and Fisker today added that his firm’s staff roll comprises “more than 50% software engineers”.

Feels like they've taken inspiration from Tesla. As for the Pear itself, looks like it could be another game changer, presumingly the larger battery variant offering 300 miles of range can be priced competitively.

fords CEO is has openly said they cant compete with tesla and are simply try to play catch up and stay "afloat" all legacy car manufacturers are still several years behind as cars today are build on software intergration not hardware, legacy manufacturers outsource this.

over the air updating with modules that openly comunnicate with one another is probably something far harder that it seems.

fords CEO is has openly said they cant compete with tesla and are simply try to play catch up and stay "afloat" all legacy car manufacturers are still several years behind as cars today are build on software intergration not hardware, legacy manufacturers outsource this.

over the air updating with modules that openly comunnicate with one another is probably something far harder that it seems.
I have an example of the challenge you mention.

On the 8th visit to a dealership in their attempt to get my Peugeot e208 to talk with the phone app, they needed the manufacturers of a bit of hardware in the car to remote login from Morocco to do some coding changes to his laptop diagnostics application so it could talk with their module in the car. Although apparently very technical himself, as they were writing commands in Arabic, he couldn’t add value in resolving the bug.

It made me realise how complicated version control will be in a car with so many third party parts.

fisker-pear-2024-rear-quarter-tracking-render_0.jpg

Was reading an oldish article about the Fisker Pear the other day, and thought this comment from the CFO stood out,

Feels like they've taken inspiration from Tesla. As for the Pear itself, looks like it could be another game changer, presumingly the larger battery variant offering 300 miles of range can be priced competitively.
I am sure it is peachy but I am not sure it is a plumb choice. Now there are mainstream EV's out there dropping £50-£100K on a car from a start up seems like a massive risk . I am sure the makers have a passion for it but I think you would have to be bananas tbh. It could be a lemon or the whole enterprise could go pear shaped.

• Funny
Reactions: Doudeau
I am sure it is peachy but I am not sure it is a plumb choice. Now there are mainstream EV's out there dropping £50-£100K on a car from a start up seems like a massive risk . I am sure the makers have a passion for it but I think you would have to be bananas tbh. It could be a lemon or the whole enterprise could go pear shaped.
Yeah not too sure about that premise. Both Rivian and Lucid are start ups with expensive vehicles that people are prepared to back in the age of mainstream choices. The irony is that was Tesla that broke the mould in that respect.

Spent not enough time looking around the EVs at Goodwood FOS. Not sure how many were not yet production, but what struck me was the variety of EVs that were there. Some brands that I had never heard of, nor cars with names that I would ever want to own (looking at you ‘Ora Funky Cat’), but nice to see big name offerings too.

The market is/soon will be awash with a lot of choice and at some price points that will appeal to many. You can get quite a lot of MG for £27k these days.

But unfortunately some wasted opportunities or gimmicks. The Lotus Eletre was gorgeous but how can they get the storage space so small - the boot floor didn’t even start until above my waist and thinking it was a feature to save your back I checked beneath only to find a space not even tall enough to take a shoe box. Absolutely wasted opportunity. Another car, didn’t get its brand (think it was Chinese) from a distance looked to have copied the falcon wing doors of model X, only to find it had worse of both worlds with a traditional swing lower half door - so you can be restricted by the space next to you and by the low roof in a multi-storey car park - chap demoing was quick to point out that it had a rain sensor and wouldn’t open quite the same in the rain.

But very much on a positive, good to see EVs that won’t look the same as the one parked next to it. Times are changing.

But my money on the McMurtry for those that want to teach tailgaters a lesson…