Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Alternative?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TCs are good, can’t deny that. But the Ionity network is also pretty reliable.
DRS247:

I would agree that the Tesla Supercharges are the vehicles best asset, In July drove my Tesla Y dual motor with full FSD to Tuscany in Italy, driving through France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland and Italy no issues with the supercharging network plenty (20- 21 units common setup), never had to wait to charge and all in working order. I did notice a few other makes Mercs, BMW and VW EV using Tesla Superchargers. In addition was pleasantly suppressed that my Octopus Electroverse EV charging was accepted at third party local charges without having to open accounts, the charging costs given in £ sterling billed to my UK energy account.

In August/ September whilst driving in temperatures 30 to 41 degrees, I discovered that my EAP and FSD was a waste of time and unusable as after 5 to 10 minutes the wipers would operate, spraying the screen was a waste of time, in total frustration pulled into a service stations and purchased a sponge and leather, cleaned the screen and and side cameras but again wipers operated making a mess of the screen and creating driver distraction., only choice was to turn it off. Driving down from Parma to La Spezia low on screen wash smeared screen pulled off on the hard shoulder only to be given a verbal by the Polizia Sradale, fortunately I explained that it was a safety issue, had emptied my screen wash and after cleaning the screen was sent on my way, but made sure I pulled into the next service station.

On the Sat 29 July 23 we were invited to a Tesla forum facilitated by Fabrizio a former FSD tester "[email protected]" at Livorno port, we were asked to send our registrations to gain access to an exclusive area reserved for super yachts. I followed my neibour and his friend who were driving Italian registered Tesla Y single motor, after half an hour we pulled off as we were all having issues with the wipers operating on Auto Pilot, so we completed the journey without EAP / FSD. Talking to Fabrizio he confirmed that its not worth logging a service call as its a common fault with tesla using camera vision.

At Livorno docks there was a good turn out of about 20 Tesla vehicles, it appeared that my vehicle attracted curiosity viewings, RHD and UK numberplate. Talking to the Italian Tesla owners they were all pleased with their Tesla, 50% would not purchase another Tesla, not with issues with the vehicle or its performance but totally put off and lost all trust in Mr Elon Musk (known in Italy as The Tesla Pinocchio) with his fixation and failed autonomous driving promises by sole use of Vision cameras.

Purchasing white interior is worth considering, as its defiantly more comfortably and cooler in hot climates.

The other issue, being bilingual, the navigation translation of Italian roads and streets sounded like a 4 year old child with a mouth full of sweets reading the names of roads and streets, having used both systems, whilst Garmin is not as descriptive did have an acceptable translation, I think that Google need to sort out as it was a form of passenger entertainment.

"we both felt it looks great," - each to there own, I can't imagine any estate cars looking remote desirable, and maybe it's your camera but there's a distinct hint of beige about the colour.

Yes, as I wrote that color does it no favors and it looks much better in one of their blue color with tan interior.

Like most Norwegians, I actually enjoy the space and convenience of Avants and Tourings. They totally dominated the market here untill the pointless crossover SUVs replaced them.

Ayways, I'm just a Tesla fan sharing what I learned. Was expecting it to be another charmless KIA clone and was sorely mistaken - and as I wrote above, it's not on Teslas level technically but offers a compelling package none the less.

Then you've not seen the Model S Shooting Brake 😉

The Model S shooting brake would easily be my favorite version if it were available. But to be honest, the Model S design is getting pretty old by now.

Imagine if we could slide a Tesla Model 3 powertrain under the ET5 Touring body. Perhaps Elon should buy NIO? Their stock is certainly attractive from an acquisition point of view 😁

There are some of them in the wild over here in Norway too. I personally think it looks a lot more Tonka than I'd personally be comfortable riding around in. But I suppose it could still be a decent car ;)

1696416135801.jpeg

There are some of them in the wild over here in Norway too. I personally think it looks a lot more Tonka than I'd personally be comfortable riding around in. But I suppose it could still be a decent car ;)

View attachment 979524

I quite like the look of that colour although I am sure a bit of a pig to maintain. Not sure about the gas lantern in the back window though... or the rear window in general.

After my Tesla experience, don't think that I would ever be an early adopter again though.

View attachment 979524
I think I meant to add in the UK. I'm sure mainland Europe got deliveries earlier.

Also looking forward to see the real world range when Fisker claims 440 miles.

Reactions: Kvitravn
I would stay with Tesla.

See, there are other factors involved and not just range and performance.

Tesla cars are easy to own because:

Software based
Keyless entry
Minimum buttons
Direct consumer business model

All this counts and adds to the experience of owning a car. I have seen other brands with phone as key, but it's not really a key. I have seen other brands with minimum button interior, but the software is not even near what Tesla offers.

I wish there were other options so that there were more variety of cars on the road. But Tesla is just way a head of others. They kind of revolutionized car ownership. That's because other manufacturers not willing to put the effort to change what they offer so that they can keep the profit coming. That why Tesla went thru their almost failing period.

I would stay with Tesla.

See, there are other factors involved and not just range and performance.

Tesla cars are easy to own because:

Software based
Keyless entry
Minimum buttons
Direct consumer business model

All this counts and adds to the experience of owning a car. I have seen other brands with phone as key, but it's not really a key. I have seen other brands with minimum button interior, but the software is not even near what Tesla offers.

I wish there were other options so that there were more variety of cars on the road. But Tesla is just way a head of others. They kind of revolutionized car ownership. That's because other manufacturers not willing to put the effort to change what they offer so that they can keep the profit coming. That why Tesla went thru their almost failing period.
Software based - Can be a blessing and a curse and the constant second-guessing whether you should install an update and what it will break THIS time is getting a tad tiresome for me
Keyless Entry - Not a new thing, VW do it well. Also, I have no major issues with carrying a fob, but maybe that's just me
Minimum buttons - A drawback for me. I don't like to hunt for functions on menus, especially when their locations can change on a whim. I don't like the lack of tactile feedback when I mash the screen. So actually this one counts as a minus point for me
Direct consumer business model - I do like that, along with the clear pricing a no haggling ( I HATE haggling)

So in my eyes, in the end it seems to mostly boil down to performance, range, design and reliability. Tesla are not an outlier on any of those any more (although clearly still in the front pack) and their interiors still feel "cheap".

My point is that Tesla did indeed have a huge advantage when I bought My Model 3 in 2019 but they're starting to lose it. You'd have a hard time arguing they weren't the best EVs back then but it's certainly not as clear cut any more.

Software based - Can be a blessing and a curse and the constant second-guessing whether you should install an update and what it will break THIS time is getting a tad tiresome for me
Keyless Entry - Not a new thing, VW do it well. Also, I have no major issues with carrying a fob, but maybe that's just me
Minimum buttons - A drawback for me. I don't like to hunt for functions on menus, especially when their locations can change on a whim. I don't like the lack of tactile feedback when I mash the screen. So actually this one counts as a minus point for me
Direct consumer business model - I do like that, along with the clear pricing a no haggling ( I HATE haggling)

So in my eyes, in the end it seems to mostly boil down to performance, range, design and reliability. Tesla are not an outlier on any of those any more (although clearly still in the front pack) and their interiors still feel "cheap".

My point is that Tesla did indeed have a huge advantage when I bought My Model 3 in 2019 but they're starting to lose it. You'd have a hard time arguing they weren't the best EVs back then but it's certainly not as clear cut any more.
I sort of agree. But my big gripes with the Model 3 are the crashy ride and the road noise. There are so many EVs now that are way, way better in these things. Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem like Highland has made more than minor improvements in either so I’m just hoping the public charging infrastructure improves enough for me to go with another brand next time.

Reactions: Type2