Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Alternative?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. Is this like for like finance, ie deposits etc?

Yes. You will have read car magazines running on endlessly about how such-and-such a car "undercuts the competition" without admitting that 80% of new cars are bought on PCP, and that the sticker price they are comparing is therefore meaningless.

It's even meaningless to P11d-obsessed company car drivers given not only the low level of BIK but tempting salary sacrifice schemes for electric cars right now. There will be four £350-a-month EQCs in the work car park by the middle of next year, combined value: third of a million quid.

Yes. You will have read car magazines running on endlessly about how such-and-such a car "undercuts the competition" without admitting that 80% of new cars are bought on PCP, and that the sticker price they are comparing is therefore meaningless.
I dont doubt it but Im just thinking how a 30k ish ? price difference gets lost in these finance deals. The only thing I can think of is inflated/high GFV 🤷‍♂️

I dont doubt it but Im just thinking how a 30k ish ? price difference gets lost in these finance deals. The only thing I can think of is inflated/high GFV 🤷‍♂️
Quite easily, mixture of interest rates and balloon payment payment, heres a quick comparison like for like on a new EQC and M3LR. The EQC is £15k more but £70 cheaper a month.

1700726728998.png
1700726756975.png

Most people think i'm rich because i have a Tesla, or previously Mercedes and BMW's truth is it's all irrelevant i was probably paying less a month that they were for a Ford focus because the Ford depreciated a lot faster. many years ago i got quoted something like £450 for a new Golf GTI walked into a Mercedes dealer later that day and got a more expensive new C Class for £350 a month

Quite easily, mixture of interest rates and balloon payment payment, heres a quick comparison like for like on a new EQC and M3LR. The EQC is £15k more but £70 cheaper a month.

View attachment 993200View attachment 993201

Most people think i'm rich because i have a Tesla, or previously Mercedes and BMW's truth is it's all irrelevant i was probably paying less a month that they were for a Ford focus because the Ford depreciated a lot faster. many years ago i got quoted something like £450 for a new Golf GTI walked into a Mercedes dealer later that day and got a more expensive new C Class for £350 a month
£882pm and final payment of £20k, jesus. M3 is more like £450pm and £15k final payment. Not really like for like or am I missing something here?

I get what you're saying, but the depreciation on a more expensive car will be more wont it when you want to hand it back in?

Two different cars suv vs saloon but putting that aside we are talking a big difference in range and performance. This would be more comparable to the cheaper M3 at which point it all collapses.

But let's go with the comparison here. the M3 LR has lower gfv at about 4.6k less. running costs over the 48months has also be taken into account.

Here is my thing. I did consider an EQC when I bought the model Y as well as other cars but for what I needed and wanted, I could not see value in others. If the EQC was at the same price point or even cheaper, it still would not make it a good alternative (and I did spend about 62k back then when inc white seats, towbar, paint, bigger wheels and acceleration boost).

For me, If I didn't need to tow 1.5 tons or need/want a hatchback, it would of been a model 3 LR with acceleration boost hands down with the next alternative being a taycan but the cheaper on of those has the same performance of a model 3 SR with less efficiency.

£882pm and final payment of £20k, jesus. M3 is more like £450pm and £15k final payment. Not really like for like or am I missing something here?

I get what you're saying, but the depreciation on a more expensive car will be more wont it when you want to hand it back in?
The £882 was taken from the Tesla website for a M3LR with a £1000 deposit and 15k miles. I wasnt comparing the cars as like for like, a like for like PCP quote on two cars that are far apart in list price but the more expensive one can be cheaper a month. just a demonstration that like above the sticker price is irrelevant as most people buy PCP these days

Price of EQC seems mad, rinses a whole New M3 in 4 years even with 0% and only has a WLTP range of 254 miles from 80kwh, what would that be in real world? Not to mention servicing costs, Seems it’s all about the badge with this one

Reactions: Leejmoff
Robs assessment that the WLTP range would be i.e. about 325miles from an 82.5kwh usable pack seemed low to me when compared with the WLTP for an M3. He may have got it wrong but its disappointing if accurate. Would be a very acceptable actual range but would have thought WLTP would be more
Seems to be about right for the AWD version, RWD model is 354 miles WLTP from same pack size

Trouble with pushing your luck in the design/style studio with concept cars that make it to the high street is that they go out of fashion/style very very quickly. don't you think?
There are exceptions - the most famous being the Porsche 911 body style. Just keeps going!

Look at the failures:
Jensen Healey
Most TVR's
Lancia Stratos
Early Maserati's
TR7

The Ioniq I5 is already looking retro.......

Hate to bash them but this is the same Autocar (& the same journo) who was so incensed by all the controls being on the central touchscreen in the recent Volvo EX30 that it devoured much of the review. It was a bizarre reaction really.

Anyway I can’t imagine many will be paying £65k for a sporty Hyundai. Hopefully more reasonable monthlies so Hyundai can be rewarded for their efforts.