Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Alternative?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, if your ambition is "growth" then by all means. Not sure if you are trolling, friend :) Perhaps success might look like the most sold car on the planet, while making a healthy profit on each unit?

I don't know, the Polestar 4 is launched and sales are pretty unremarkable here in Norway at least. What are they like on your end?
It's been orderable for about 72 hours here. Notwithstanding that I also don't have access to their order data. I'm surprised you do.

I don't know, the Polestar 4 is launched and sales are pretty unremarkable here in Norway at least. What are they like on your end?

From an outsiders perspective, all the NO billboards seem to be pushing the Polestar 3. I never noticed the 4 being actively pushed, at least not up north, yet the 3 was on quite a few large prominent billboards.

fwiw, VW ID7 also being noticeably pushed. Looked a very solid car from the outside and peering in the window looked a comfy place to be. Not been following the ID7 rollout though so not sure where NO is on the delivery curve vs UK.

Yet they’re still selling less cars than BMW. As I said, if this is what failure for BMW looks like, I can’t wait to see what success would look like
Your images don't exactly make an apples for apples comparison though do they? those 718k/2.5m figures are global sales of ALL vehicles, not just EVs. From the body of that InsideEVs article:

1707079911700.png

1707079388795.png

Tesla obviously don't sell anything other than BEVs, so their 1.81 million certainly makes a bigger dent when compared more directly with equivalent vehicles. BMW also started selling cars in 1928, so you'd expect them to be slightly ahead of the curve in raw numbers of all vehicles sold.

Not to say BMW aren't successfully selling cars, they clearly are when looking at the growth numbers. But selectively grabbing headlines without context doesn't really show much, IMO.

I guess there are two ways to see the Polestar - Volvo relationship.

Polestar was a stroke of genius by Volvo. As a company with no experience with EVs and also operating in a very conservative and safety addicted customer segment, launching the "disposable" brand Polestar allowed Volvo to build what they though was the optimal EV product and target a much younger and more tech friendly customer base. If the cars turned out to be no good, it would not affect Volvo. If they turned out to be good (which IMHO they did) Volvo gained prestige and a new more technologically advanced profile. All the new tech and platforms developed and piloted by Polestar were transferred to Volvo including everythign learned. Volvo risks nothing and can now build proven EVs designed to fit their desired market segment.

The other way is that perhaps the idea was that Polestar would be a pure EV brand and if it succeeded, it would replace Volvo as ICE cars were phased out. Don't think that was the plan, but if the new Plestars had hit the zeitgeist as dead on as the Polestar 2 did when it arrived, that could have happened. As it turns out it seems like Polestar 4 isn't that product.

In my opinion, Volvo creating Polestar is perhaps the best solution to the innovators dilemma by any well established car maker.

Imagine if BMW had done the same, and let the team behind the i3 and i8 off the leash and into a different brand. Imagine if that team had kept the self confidence and brute force engineering briliance that led to the absolutely marvelous for it's time 2013 original i3 design. Imagine where they'd been today if they were building 3rd or 4th generation high tech, carbon chassis driver oriented EVS in stead of half-assing some battery driveline into ICE cars. BMW failed and as a result they are stuck desperately trying to glam up the i5 or that iX monstrosity.
Do you realise that Volvo is owned by
Volvo Cars
Parent organizations
Geely
Volvo is currently owned by the Zhejiang Geely Holding Group

Your images don't exactly make an apples for apples comparison though do they? those 718k/2.5m figures are global sales of ALL vehicles, not just EVs.
I didn’t realise non-EVs no longer counted as sales. My mistake 😵‍💫

He said BMW were failing, I disproved that false statement. They sell more cars than Tesla and their EV sales are growing.

Next you’ll be complaining it’s not fair because they have a much bigger range of vehicles.

FYI- high voltage battery was stress tested and all good. Door handle on order. Quoted £369 for 12v battery.

What happened with your door handle? I missed where you mentioned it.

I had a door handle fail, it basically lost its soft close functionality. Took 4 months to get replaced, with the service date getting pushed back over and over. Wasn’t too bothered because it still worked, but not great from a parts availability point of view.

Yea sorry, I carried it over here as it was a bit more in keeping :)

Yes. I could understand I we were told about part availability, however this isn't the case, also a well known issue and it's not an easy fault to get by with. More annoyingly that they had the car for two days to assess the handle and were more interested in changing the 12v battery which wasn't a problem until it got there.

I didn’t realise non-EVs no longer counted as sales. My mistake 😵‍💫

He said BMW were failing, I disproved that false statement. They sell more cars than Tesla and their EV sales are growing.

Next you’ll be complaining it’s not fair because they have a much bigger range of vehicles.

Well, the premise of my statement was that Polestar was created in an effort for Volvo to start selling EVs. Polestar was Volvo's "AMG" at the time, and was carved out into a separate business entity also owned by Geely.

So, in the context of a well established and successful car brand wanting to launch EVs, Volvo (for simplicity's sake, sure Geely probably had a lot to say in this) spun off Polestar as a separate brand. BMW (like pretty much all their competitors) already had some amount of experience with EVs and the EV marketplace and elected to continue sprinkling their EVs among the general product portfolio.

Me being interested in the strategic side of the transition toward EVs that is taking place, find creating Polestar an inspred move , and perhaps something other brands could or even should have mirrored. But I'm just a guy discussing stuff on the internet so of course that's just my opinion and not the result of careful scientific analysis.

Now, BMWs overall sales and financial performance isn't stellar but they are doing pretty well.

My argument is that sprinkling EVs in among their general product portfolio means they are stretching their brand and trying to please the same customer segment with both ICE and EV models. BMW aren't stupid and made this choice with open eyes.

Yet, when they occasionally make less than stellar EVs, they annoy or even ailenate all their customers. The i5 (or particularly the iX) are for instance not going down well with BMW enthusiasts over here, the G60 earning the nickname "shrinkflation 5-series" due to the "cheapening" of the quality and specifications. There a lots of forum posts along the lines of BMW trying to build "German Teslas" where they of course expect much more from BMW than from some vulgar american upstart. A 2.4 ton 5-series isn't the "ultimate driving machine" and sticking an M badge on it is not exactly making it easier to accept.

So living in Norway where 82% of the cars sold in Q4 last year were EVs, I'm aware that it's easy for us to focus more or even too much on EVs and less on ICE cars. OTOH "new" brands entering the european market like Polestar, NIO, BYD tend to choose our marketplace for early efforts for the same reason. As for sources I'm just going to say "industry gossip" as public VIN registration data have a certain lag 😇

Last edited:
BMW are certainly going for the EV power train as an alternative to ICE in basically the same car. But to me that makes them have poor interior space and EV efficiency. And thus NOT a Tesla alternative.
They're doing a bit of everything, the i4, i5, i7, iX3 are shared, the iX and before that the i3 were dedicated, and the Roll Royce EV, a BMW company, is dedicated and I believe still has a central tunnel for stiffness. To some that will appear "not committed" to others its 'prudent business sense". They're also looking at Hydrogen in a big way.

Time will tell on all this, and while space does seem an issue on the i4, the i7 is seen as one of the most luxurious exec limo cars, the iX one of the quietest EVs, the i4 one of the better handling etc so depending whats important to you they might tick the right boxes, or they won't. Everyones priority list is different.

Well, the new Taycans look to have Plaid-level straight line performance, active ride control and a big bump in range. They'll certainly have Plaid level pace. If only they had the space....
Launch Plaid pricing too.

Does look nice though. I do think it's lost something going to more traditional looking headlights.