Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Announces CCS1 Adapter Coming to S. Korea Early 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car will negotiate with the charger as to how much it can accept.

Yup, the car will negotiate with the charger with zero regard to what the "dumb" pass through style adapter is capable of supporting.

Since it is a "dumb" pass through adapter with no electronics involved, the car will tell the charger "send me 650 amps" and if the charger is capable of 500 amps, it will say "no can do, but I can send you 500 amps" and the car will say "OK, send 500 amps" and your 300 amp capable pass through style charging adapter will be severely over loaded.

Keith

Here, start at post #356 and read forward:
"So I played Russian Roulette with this adapter, and finally got the bullet in the chamber this time. I fried my charge port I believe. My car will not charge on either AC or DC.

As a clarification , I was using an experimental firmware that "spoofed" the Super charger protocol. Getting the car towed to the service center tomorrow. Hopefully it can be fixed."

And his report in comment #405 when Tesla got the parts and fixed it under warranty:
"So I finally got my car back from the service center after waiting on parts for about a month. Looks like the adapter caused some pretty good damage, but the repairs were free since I’m still under warranty. I did not tell them about the adapter.

following items were replaced :
Charger port MCU
Charge port to PCS (onboard charger) HV cable
Charge port to Battery HV cable
PCS (power conversion system)"
Interesting... reading thread now. Looks like my opposition to BETA testing software applies to the SETEC adapter as well :) Thanks for the link 👍

Keith

Yup, the car will negotiate with the charger with zero regard to what the "dumb" pass through style adapter is capable of supporting.

Since it is a "dumb" pass through adapter with no electronics involved, the car will tell the charger "send me 650 amps" and if the charger is capable of 500 amps, it will say "no can do, but I can send you 500 amps" and the car will say "OK, send 500 amps" and your 300 amp capable pass through style charging adapter will be severely over loaded.

Keith
You’re missing the point some of us are making. If the car can speak CCS through the dumb adapter then Tesla should have coding for the car to limit the current to protect the adapter.

The process should go like this when plugging into a charger,

Charger sends signal to car to negotiate charging via PLC/CCS noting it’s voltage and current capability (as an example 300-900V at 500A). The car then realizes it has received a PLC/CCS communication which can only happen with the Tesla designed CCS adapter (as the Supercharger network and Chademo adapter use CAN communication, not PLC) and responds that it needs 365V (pack voltage) with a maximum current of 300A (because there is no legitimate scenario yet to charge above 300A with PLC as using this CCS1 adapter is logically THE only way to receive a PLC DC charging signal) and charging begins safely at 365V X 300A = 109.5kW

You’re missing the point some of us are making. If the car can speak CCS through the dumb adapter then Tesla should have coding for the car to limit the current to protect the adapter.

Coulda, Shoulda .... whatever. I appreciate the armchair software and hardware architecting, but for now all we have is a very stark warning from Tesla to not connect the CCS1 adapter to any charger capable of supplying over 300 Amps. Here is the warning, for those who have not seen it or have forgotten:

Therefore, the CCS Combo 1 adapter can only be used in public fast chargers with a rated output of 300A or less

Tesla is not responsible for any problems resulting from the use of public rapid chargers exceeding 300A.

The process should go like this when plugging into a charger,

Charger sends signal to car to negotiate charging via PLC/CCS noting it’s voltage and current capability (as an example 300-900V at 500A). The car then realizes it has received a PLC/CCS communication which can only happen with the Tesla designed CCS adapter (as the Supercharger network and Chademo adapter use CAN communication, not PLC) and responds that it needs 365V (pack voltage) with a maximum current of 300A (because there is no legitimate scenario yet to charge above 300A with PLC as using this CCS1 adapter is logically THE only way to receive a PLC DC charging signal) and charging begins safely at 365V X 300A = 109.5kW

So, what you are saying is that on the TESLA web site where they are selling this device, they are LYING to their customers when they tell them to not use it on a public CCS charger capable of supplying more than 300 amps?

Keith

No, we are saying that is likely a temporary restriction based on firmware version.

The group of you is saying all kinds of things, from conjecture to baseless speculation to outright nonsense. The ONLY reasonable message is that as of now, only a fool would try to use a charger rated for over 300 Amps with this CCS1 adapter. The future may be different.

By the way, I along with others have wondered why Tesla has limited the roll-out only to Korea for now. I started off surmising some difference in the cars, but now it appears to be a charger difference. So far as I can tell, there are no "350 kW" chargers in Korea as of now although Korea has said they plan to build some. In that context, the Tesla warning is a statement that chargers able to output greater than 300 Amps have not been approved for use. Korea is a good place to introduce the adapter because it does not have such chargers, and any local fools cannot use what does not exist.

For now. One can only hope that by the time Korea introduces > 300 Amps chargers, Tesla will have engineered safe use harbors for those adapters. And it follows that the USA will not get the adapter until those safe harbors are in place since we already have "350 kW" chargers. Progress is set by the lowest common denominator of fool/idiot.

Last edited:
I am quite familiar with 125amp chargers and have seen a number of 350amp chargers. Does anyone have info on where one would find a CCS charger >125 amps and <350 amps? And which company is hosting these chargers or from which suppliers?

I am quite familiar with 125amp chargers and have seen a number of 350amp chargers. Does anyone have info on where one would find a CCS charger >125 amps and <350 amps? And which company is hosting these chargers or from which suppliers?

These Chargepoint CPE250 units are common in many areas. Spec sheet lists 156a for single station and 200a output when paired: Box

Keith
Others pointed it out already, but given Tesla already detects what adapter is being used (evidenced by the fact that car limits to 125A when using CHAdeMO), plus the fact CCS uses PLC and superchargers use CAN, Tesla by necessity will have a special mode especially for CCS. There is no way it would be a direct dumb passthrough of the supercharger protocol.

If you want another example, think of the J1772 adapter included with the car. It doesn't just pass through the supercharger protocol, but instead knows to switch to AC. The handshakes are different.

I should also point out again these warnings were Google translated from the Korean manual, the NA manual may have it worded differently or may not even have that warning.

These Chargepoint CPE250 units are common in many areas. Spec sheet lists 156a for single station and 200a output when paired: Box
Thanks, come to think of it, I have used these before. They populate as the following on the chargepoint app:

Screenshot_20211021-092625_ChargePoint.jpg

Does EVgo or any others make a "100kw" charger? I feel like I've heard the term before.

I think EVGo has some 100 kW Chademo units, but they seem to be installed with 150 kW CCS1 units?
I did find a few of these from the app:
Screenshot_20211021-101401_EVgo.jpg

Will try to grab a photo of the faceplate if convenient to see if there is a difference in hardware with the 150 vs 175kw ccs chargers.

Edit: appears the 100kw ccs chargers do exist. At least this example is EVgo, short and stubby style:
Screenshot_20211021-102137_PlugShare.jpg

Screenshot_20211021-102037_EVgo.jpg

Last edited:
I did find a few of these from the app:

Will try to grab a photo of the faceplate if convenient to see if there is a difference in hardware with the 150 vs 175kw ccs chargers.

Edit: appears the 100kw ccs chargers do exist. At least this example is EVgo, short and stubby style:
They exist, they're just...a lot less common than even 150 kW chargers, and putting out an adapter which may be unsafe to use on the majority of stations when the fix is an OTA car firmware/software update to enable a voltage limiting-by-adapter feature they already have on other adapters and cars is...remarkably shortsighted, at best, though not necessarily out of normal for Tesla? There are 350 kW and up stations either existing, or being installed in Korea this year, so it's not like limiting the release to Korea solves this issue by just avoiding 150 kW-and-up chargers: South Korea to install 3,000 fast-charging stations in 2021 - electrive.com I'd hope Tesla wouldn't abuse their drivers like that, offering a solution which isn't even good through the end of the year after literally years of being begged for a first-party solution for the CCS1 problem, but I wouldn't be surprised by them behaving like that (which is why I never ended up driving one).

This is helpful, thanks. After digging around, I also found some Freewire units that feed a max of 120kw like this one:
Screenshot_20211021-105530_PlugShare.jpg

If this CCS adapter were to be limited to 300amps, at least in my area there are just too few options to gain any benefit over chademo since most of these chargers are either 50kw (chademo would be equivalent here) or >150kw (CCS adapter use would either not be compatible or ill advised).

This is helpful, thanks. After digging around, I also found some Freewire units that feed a max of 120kw like this one:

If this CCS adapter were to be limited to 300amps, at least in my area there are just too few options to gain any benefit over chademo since most of these chargers are either 50kw (chademo would be equivalent here) or >150kw (CCS adapter use would either not be compatible or ill advised).
The thing is, as others have pointed out, CCS communication allows setting a maximum amperage for the station to feed the car, and the Tesla system has to set that limit. To design it to "set to the maximum the station says it can feed at pack voltage oops to cars exploded" seems like no less work than "the 300 amps the only CCS1 adapter we make and officially support can handle, or the stations's maximum, whichever is lower".

Reactions: sdoorex and kayak1