Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's literally painful to listen to this guy. NACS does not use "Tesla protocols". It uses CCS. No debate on this at all. More than a half million pre-2021 Teslas are incompatible with NACS because of this. A $3-400 upgrade is theoretically possible, but I keep hearing from 3/Y owners that when they try to schedule the upgrade Tesla tells them it's not available for their car.
What do you mean by Teslas are incompatible with NACS?

All Teslas in the US use NACS, but not all are compatible to CCS, which you mention...maybe I'm not following or you misplaced CCS with NACS.

All Teslas in the US use NACS,
Nope. They all use the, now, NACS connector but with Tesla proprietary communication protocols.

An actual NACS charger, following the J3400 standard, only supports CCS communication, so Teslas older than ~2021 can't use a non-Tesla NACS DC fast charger without having the CCS retrofit installed. (Which is offered for the S&X but not yet for the 3&Y.)

Nope. They all use the, now, NACS connector but with Tesla proprietary communication protocols.

An actual NACS charger only supports CCS communication, so Teslas older than ~2021 can't use a non-Tesla NACS DC fast charger without having the CCS retrofit installed. (Which is offered for the S&X but not yet for the 3&Y.)
Right, but it's still the NACS connector, which Tesla has always used.

You understand how that is confusing, right?

Right, but it's still the NACS connector, which Tesla has always used.

Right, NACS connector, but not NACS communications. So only half NACS compliant, meaning not compatible at all. (You can plug it in, but it won't work.)

They should probably call the CCS retrofit a "NACS retrofit with CCS adapter", as it actually makes the car NACS/J3400 compatible.

Last edited:
Don’t know why, but this is the first thing that sprang to my mind upon seeing this Cadillac:

IMG_1735.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: EVCollies
Yes, it will be confusing. Tesla owners without the NACS upgrade will roll up to a non-Tesla NACS charger, maybe with a Tesla happily charging in the next stall over, and plug in. The plug will fit just fine, but the car won't charge. A similar thing will happen to Ford/GM/etc. owners at v2 Superchargers. The plug will fit but their car won't charge.

NAV systems will try to direct cars away from such chargers, but you know what they say about foolproof systems. Let's hope all OEMs create helpful error screens to handle these inevitable situations.

• Helpful
Reactions: navguy12
Right, NACS connector, but not NACS communications. So only half NACS compliant, meaning not compatible at all. (You can plug it in, but it won't work.)

They should probably call the CCS retrofit a "NACS retrofit with CCS adapter", as it actually makes the car NACS/J3400 compatible.
NACS, as released by Tesla, was communication agnostic, J3400 is not.
https://www.tesla.com/blog/opening-north-american-charging-standard
As a purely electrical and mechanical interface agnostic to use case and communication protocol, NACS is straightforward to adopt.
Although, the Tesla spec did call out certain protocols. Which ones? I can't say because Tesla has pulled all the CAD and most documents from the website forcing people toward the $195 SAE spec...

An actual NACS charger, following the J3400 standard, only supports CCS communication, so Teslas older than ~2021 can't use a non-Tesla NACS DC fast charger without having the CCS retrofit installed. (Which is offered for the S&X but not yet for the 3&Y.)
Is there a source for this info? The Nacs wikipedia article seems to disagree with your statements: North American Charging Standard - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Is there a source for this info?
The original documents Tesla released, from which a portion was posted just a couple posts up. The only communication protocol listed are standards for CCS.

The Tesla protocol was never open sourced, so third-party DC fast chargers can't use/support it. Even if they are NACS/J3400 compliant. (ChargePoint has even mentioned that they were looking in to see if they could get permission to ad the Tesla protocol to their chargers with NACS connectors so that there aren't any weird surprises where older Teslas won't work on them.)

But now that NACS is an official standard you would have to purchase the J3400 specs to see it, and what protocols they list in it, but I can't imagine it has changed much.

Reactions: petit_bateau
The original documents Tesla released, from which a portion was posted just a couple posts up. The only communication protocol listed are standards for CCS.
Yes.
The Tesla protocol was never open sourced, so third-party DC fast chargers can't use/support it. Even if they are NACS/J3400 compliant. (ChargePoint has even mentioned that they were looking in to see if they could get permission to ad the Tesla protocol to their chargers with NACS connectors so that there aren't any weird surprises where older Teslas won't work on them.)
O.k.
But now that NACS is an official standard you would have to purchase the J3400 specs to see it, and what protocols they list in it, but I can't imagine it has changed much.

None of this says that older Tesla won't work on NACS. I have read long ago that the Tesla protocol is just CCS. Don't have a source. So I'm wondering what makes you think that Model 3 and Ys won't work on NACS. No one else is making that claim.

None of this says that older Tesla won't work on NACS. I have read long ago that the Tesla protocol is just CCS. Don't have a source. So I'm wondering what makes you think that Model 3 and Ys won't work on NACS. No one else is making that claim.

If the Tesla protocol on older cars is just CCS, why do older cars need a hardware upgrade to use a CCS charge adapter?

Reactions: Doggydogworld
I have read long ago that the Tesla protocol is just CCS.
It isn't. If it was there would be no retrofit necessary for Teslas to use a CCS charger. It doesn't even use the same communication method. (The Tesla protocol uses single wire CAN while the CCS protocol uses PLC.) Which is why a retrofit is necessary, as older Teslas don't have the hardware to communicate via PLC.

So I'm wondering what makes you think that Model 3 and Ys won't work on NACS. No one else is making that claim.
There are lots of people that are saying this. (Like I said, even ChargePoint has said it.)

And it isn't all Model 3s and Ys, just ones without a CCS compatible charge port ECU, either from the factory or as a retrofit. (Pretty much ones earlier than 2021, though Tesla started putting CCS charge port ECUs in at one point, and then because of chip supply issues switched back to non-CCS compatible ones for a while, before switching back to all CCS compatible ones.)

The current Tesla charging uses CCS protocols.

The original Tesla charging used CHAdeMO protocols.

It isn't. If it was there would be no retrofit necessary for Teslas to use a CCS charger. It doesn't even use the same communication method. (The Tesla protocol uses single wire CAN while the CCS protocol uses PLC.) Which is why a retrofit is necessary, as older Teslas don't have the hardware to communicate via PLC.

There are lots of people that are saying this. (Like I said, even ChargePoint has said it.)

And it isn't all Model 3s and Ys, just ones without a CCS compatible charge port ECU, either from the factory or as a retrofit. (Pretty much ones earlier than 2021, though Tesla started putting CCS charge port ECUs in at one point, and then because of chip supply issues switched back to non-CCS compatible ones for a while, before switching back to all CCS compatible ones.)

I have a 2018 model 3 and 2021 model Y (picked up in Dec 2020). Neither have issues charging at v2 nor v3 superchargers ... yet.

Edit: just a commentary to say that your post made sense.

BYD is still gunning for their (lowered) 3 million goal. Q4 is huge in China, so they've got a shot. They need to average ~310k/month.

Export sales were 28k in September, biggest month by far but still a bit less than 10% of total sales. BEV/PHEV mix was ~53/47, with PHEVs still the majority of domestic sales.

I think BYD will slightly beat Tesla in Q4 BEV sales. They came a lot closer than I expected in Q3. But BYD is much more seasonal, so Tesla will easily move back ahead in Q1 of next year. Tesla will be #1 in 2023 BEV sales by a healthy margin, say 1.8m vs. 1.55m. I expect them to retain the full year crown in 2024, by a slimmer margin.

BYD sold 526k+ BEVs in Q4. 3.013 NEVs for the year, of which 1.575m were BEVs.