Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla bringing back RADAR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt it. New wiring harnesses, new bumper cover, maybe even new bumper. The current FSD board has input for two radars, but I don't know if they support interfacing of "high-resolution" radar or not.

You're probably right, but even if the existing hardware fully supports it you still are restricted by the fact that Tesla's are not plug-and-play. You would most likely still need somebody at Tesla to make the configuration change for your car.

You're probably right, but even if the existing hardware fully supports it you still are restricted by the fact that Tesla's are not plug-and-play. You would most likely still need somebody at Tesla to make the configuration change for your car.
Of course. It would need Tesla service. And of course first production of hundreds of thousands of conversion kits.

Looks like a substitute part for an obsolete unit for cars that still use radar, not a new application.
Try again

Look VERY closely. For once, remove the Tesla/Elon blinders...and objectively examine the evidence...for once.

Remember...there was a major parts shortage last year/early this year where certain components were not available. There were choices to be made. Not sell cars or sell them and come up with "reasons" why components (passenger lumbar, radar, etc) would be missing, so that sales could continue.

Now some of those parts shortages are starting to clear up..

Reactions: SpaceShipDrvr
A loaded semi has double the stopping distance of a typical passenger car so I can see how radar might be useful in such an application. And the timing is remarkably close to the start of Tesla Semi deliveries.
Why not just quadruple resolution of cameras? That would be cheaper and avoid the impossible sensor fusion problem. :p
They’ve already announced the semi so I don’t see why deliveries would be a relevant date. There’s no existing semi that they don’t want people to cancel orders for. Seems like it must be for Model 3 refresh. Very odd to me as it seems like cameras work fine and it’s not like radar will allow driverless operation.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life

Not only for the semi since they already started delivering those...
Retrofitting 5 delivered trucks sounds more feasible than millions of cars that have succeeded without them for over a year granted the only evidence (the document) doesn’t say anything about a car.