Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla CHAdeMo Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think Rowlock's point is that a CHAdeMO adapter for EU Model S will not fit into an US Model charge port - obviously!
Clearly for this CHAdeMO adapter to fit the US charge port, a redesign would be necessary with unknown scope (mechanical, electric, protocol). We don't know if the EU Model S contains changes to facilitate a future CHAdeMO adapter that the US model doesn't have.

The bigger question to me is this: How could Tesla not plan for CHAdeMO functionality in US vehicles when CHAdeMO DC chargers are popping up everywhere. Other US manufacturers are embracing CHAdeMO for DC charging and Tesla should be embarrassed for not offering an adapter for every charge point. The fact that a Nissan Leaf can get a super fast DC charge while the Model S owner has to use the much slower Level 2 charger next door is an insult.

The bigger question to me is this: How could Tesla not plan for CHAdeMO functionality in US vehicles when CHAdeMO DC chargers are popping up everywhere. Other US manufacturers are embracing CHAdeMO for DC charging and Tesla should be embarrassed for not offering an adapter for every charge point. The fact that a Nissan Leaf can get a super fast DC charge while the Model S owner has to use the much slower Level 2 charger next door is an insult.
I don't think there are any US manufacturers using CHAdeMO. Which one are you thinking of?

I don't think there are any US manufacturers using CHAdeMO. Which one are you thinking of?

While not exactly a U.S. company, I think Leafs are manufacturered in the U.S.

Regardless, a quick look at plugshare would indicate that the vast (if not only) source of fast DC charging outside of superchargers are CHAdeMO. I'd love to be able to utilize those in cases where a supercharger isn't available.

repeating a bit here but since there are several CHAdeMO threads it seems valuable. at the Burlington ribbon cutting today a Tesla engineer affirmed with certainty that a CHAdeMO adapter was coming to the US later this year with the roll out in Japan, that it will have a different plug than the Japan model, since japan's S will have the European plug. I was encouraged, I wouldn't hold your breath on the timing but I'm happy to know that Tesla understands there is significant demand here in the US.

I meant to write other manufacturers, not necessarily just US manufacturers. Nissan Leaf has a CHAdeMO and can use fast DC charging with much faster rate of charge than the Level 2 available to Model S. Something is wrong if a Leaf can charge at a faster rate than a Model S which costs three times as much. They've announced adapters for Japan and Europe because those use the same connection on the car, but the US car plug is different. I suspect the problem is more complex and may require a vehicle retrofit. I'm just saying, the ports on the European and Japanese cars have a few more pins, presumably for communications of some sort. These pins are missing on the US Model S, which may more to do with this issue than anything else.

It is certainly weird if Tesla doesn't make a CHAdeMO adapter. We are talking about "free" infrastructure upgrade.
It's not really free. It'll cost Tesla in R&D costs and obviously it'll cost the customer. I assumed if they are going to make one for Japan anyways (and that the US and Japanese Model S uses the same port), it would make sense to offer it here too. But people are saying the Japanese Model S will share a port with the European version, which would make the US version the outlier and complicate things.

Having the european plug means having the european 3 phase charger, which wouldn't make any sense for Japan. The 3 phase charger limits one phase charging to 7.5kW instead of 10kW for the north american charger (3 phase charging is at 11kW). It only makes sense if the majority of the charging is 3 phase, which isn't the case in Japan.

Having the european plug means having the european 3 phase charger, which wouldn't make any sense for Japan. The 3 phase charger limits one phase charging to 7.5kW instead of 10kW for the north american charger (3 phase charging is at 11kW). It only makes sense if the majority of the charging is 3 phase, which isn't the case in Japan.

Where do you have this info from? As far as we know, EU cars can charge 40A/80A on single phase just like the US cars. You'll need the HPWC for 40A and up though as the UMC is limited to 32A.

Where do you have this info from? As far as we know, EU cars can charge 40A/80A on single phase just like the US cars. You'll need the HPWC for 40A and up though as the UMC is limited to 32A.

He's probably referring to UMC charging. The US UMC can go to 40A / 10kW...

I've lived in the US, Japan and Europe -- and the Japan grid is more similar to the US (110V is the "standard" household voltage), so I would guess the Japan-spec S will get the US style connector...

As far as I know, this is the most accurate information about european charging. The doc shows Type 2 charging stations using single phase-single charger will also be limited to 32A, so I'm assuming that not only is the UMC limited to 32A, but that the limit is 32A per charger. Is there any info that shows otherwise?

European-Charging-Info

Reading through the doc I see nothing that really confirms or denies this. Type 2 connectors are limited to 32A and the UMC is limited to 32A. The HPWC spec is TBD. I haven't read all the europe threads in detail. Has anybody from Tesla indicated that the European charger is capable of handling more than 32A? If it is, then why is the UMC limited to 32A?

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I know, this is the most accurate information about European charging. The doc shows Type 2 charging stations using single phase-single charger will also be limited to 32A, so I'm assuming that not only is the UMC limited to 32A, but that the limit is 32A per charger. Is there any info that shows otherwise?

The EU Model S is capable of digesting 40A/240V single phase (single charger), or 80A/240V (twin charger). Source: danish model s feature page.
I don't know a way to feed 40A or 80A single phase from existing outlets to the type 2 charging port of the EU Model S. Perhaps the EU HPWC can do that. The EU UMC cannot.

Type 2 connectors are limited to 32A and the UMC is limited to 32A.

Some Type 2 charging stations provide 3x63A. They have the cable attached to the EVSE. You're still right that the UMC is limited to 32A but you wouldn't need it here.

It's all grey theory. If you want high power AC charging, you must go 3 phase over here.

On the subject of CHAdeMO I want to add, there is hope that DC-mid charging (up to 70kW) will be possible some day with a supercharger-equipped EU Model S, using the Type 2 port without any adapter. Fast charging stations could easily add a DC-mid cable head, and save us the cost and hassle of a CHAdeMO adapter.
RTEmagicC_ea655cf3c1_02.jpg