Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla didn't listen to me on paint colors and prices.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
Tesla claims they read these forums. Apparently not.

They are continuing their price gouging with $1000 ransoms to paint the car anything other than basic black. And they still do not have a plain white color, just the pearl white, which I am not sure I like.

So for my model 3, I really only have 2 choices. Get the silver metallic which is ok but not amazing, or maybe the pearl white, which I am not excited about, and I believe the pearl white would be harder to paint match in the event of an accident and repair.

I have other complaints about the wheels and battery, but another topic for those.

Does anybody really think that the "pearl white" is anything but plain, boring white? They call the white "multi-coat" but I don't see it. The OP doesn't like the "pearl." But I WANT the pearl, and don't think it is there??

A
A
Have you seen it in person?
Uh. Yeah. Four times now. Drove one of them. Did it sound like I was just guessing from pictures?

I was even closer than this at times...

Attachments

• 180110.060.JPG
    180110.060.JPG
    300.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
I'm so sorry Tesla didn't listen to you. I hope you'll be okay.

+1. The forums are really more of a depression support group for all the people who didn't get what they want, when they wanted it. Honestly your complaint about paint is at the bottom of the barrel. I'm not enamored by any of the colors myself, and if I don't see one in person that knocks me over I'll save the $1k and take black. Can always paint or wrap it later.

As the owner of two Pearl White Teslas, I can say that my personal preference is for a pure white with some depth vs. the truly pearlescent, or worse, the yellowish pearl. But again, that’s my taste and of course is why I bought a second one.
Yeah, there's a lot of range in what gets sold as "pearl white" because it's such a great luxury evoking name. The yellowish version *ppppthhbb* but I do prefer more rainbow than Tesla has. If it was that I'd be all over it. As it is I'm on the fence between the red and black-wrapped-when-I-get-the-windows-tinted, and really letting loose with the wrap colour. An electric yellow car has been on my bucket list for some time.

There's a picture floating around where someone has already done that to a 3 and it looks great!

P.S. That's why I look at this upside down from timk225, Tesla's giving me a "black primer" option that makes going with a full wrap similar cost to one of their factory colours + partial clear wrap. *shrug*