TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla didn't listen to me on paint colors and prices.

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by timk225, Jul 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. timk225

timk225 Member

Tesla claims they read these forums. Apparently not.

They are continuing their price gouging with $1000 ransoms to paint the car anything other than basic black. And they still do not have a plain white color, just the pearl white, which I am not sure I like.

So for my model 3, I really only have 2 choices. Get the silver metallic which is ok but not amazing, or maybe the pearl white, which I am not excited about, and I believe the pearl white would be harder to paint match in the event of an accident and repair.

I have other complaints about the wheels and battery, but another topic for those.

• Disagree x 20
    • Funny x 10
  2. labfm

labfm Member

You have other choices....
    (1) Don't buy a model 3 and buy a car from a company that is doing 100% what you want
    (2) Go manufacture your own car to your exact specifications

• Like x 15
    • Funny x 2
  3. manitou820

manitou820 Member

Just think of it this way. For $37,500 (same price as a base Bolt) you get the choice of any paint and wheels.

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  4. tomas

tomas Only partially psycho

Sigh, are we not only going to have a thread for each member with complaints... but a thread for each complaint???

The car looks great and is well priced. You want it or you don't. Plenty will.

• Like x 8
  5. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

I'm so sorry Tesla didn't listen to you. I hope you'll be okay.

• Like x 8
    • Funny x 7
  6. Tiger

Tiger Member

Doing custom paint job isn't really that expensive.

I plan to mostly sit inside my car so I cannot see the color, thereby I don't really care about the exterior color.

• Like x 1
  7. EVnut

EVnut Darell, the EVnut

Does anybody really think that the "pearl white" is anything but plain, boring white? They call the white "multi-coat" but I don't see it. The OP doesn't like the "pearl." But I WANT the pearl, and don't think it is there??

8. MIT_S60

MIT_S60 Member

It might be "multi-coat" but my plain (computer-strained) eyes only see the one coat on the top...

9. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Have you seen it in person?

• Like x 1
  10. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

come on now, that would be too easy :confused:

• Funny x 1
  11. EVnut

EVnut Darell, the EVnut

#11 EVnut, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Uh. Yeah. Four times now. Drove one of them. Did it sound like I was just guessing from pictures?

I was even closer than this at times...

Attached Files:

12. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

• Like x 1
  13. Lbkmxp100d

Lbkmxp100d Member

And you own a Tesla w/ 310 miles of range and free software updates for life if vehicle.

14. kzod

kzod Member

+1. The forums are really more of a depression support group for all the people who didn't get what they want, when they wanted it. Honestly your complaint about paint is at the bottom of the barrel. I'm not enamored by any of the colors myself, and if I don't see one in person that knocks me over I'll save the $1k and take black. Can always paint or wrap it later.

• Like x 2
  15. ProphetM

ProphetM Member

You can't automatically assume they don't read these forums just because they didn't take your suggestions. Maybe they just don't like you.

• Funny x 1
  16. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

#16 ℬête Noire, Feb 15, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    I have. It isn't entirely a flat white but I found it noticeably more subtle than other "pearl white"s I've seen (including one I've owned). I expect their tastes run more pearl, less white. *shrug*

Personally I found it "ok" but not really that exciting.

17. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

As the owner of two Pearl White Teslas, I can say that my personal preference is for a pure white with some depth vs. the truly pearlescent, or worse, the yellowish pearl. But again, that’s my taste and of course is why I bought a second one.

• Like x 1
  18. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

I find the lighting has a huge impact on white. Personally, not sure I like it.

But do love the look of white with the contrast to the glass roof.

19. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

Yeah, there's a lot of range in what gets sold as "pearl white" because it's such a great luxury evoking name. The yellowish version *ppppthhbb* but I do prefer more rainbow than Tesla has. If it was that I'd be all over it. As it is I'm on the fence between the red and black-wrapped-when-I-get-the-windows-tinted, and really letting loose with the wrap colour. An electric yellow car has been on my bucket list for some time.

There's a picture floating around where someone has already done that to a 3 and it looks great!

P.S. That's why I look at this upside down from timk225, Tesla's giving me a "black primer" option that makes going with a full wrap similar cost to one of their factory colours + partial clear wrap. *shrug*

20. chilman408

chilman408 Member

I suggested to Tesla that they should give away the Model 3. That didn't happen either.

• Funny x 2
    • Love x 1