Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla drops regenerative braking options for new EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Normal works great when normal traction is available. I have not driven our MY in the snow and ice yet, but I believe that Tesla recommends the "Low" setting when traction is limited and that makes good sense to me. Love the regen for normal driving but just suspect it could be a little sketchy on ice.

Odd why they dropped it in newer vehicles with the software update. I wonder if there’s an actual hardware change that made things more efficient if they take the option away... otherwise why not just remove it for everyone.
Could be regulatory? Maybe EPA or some other country's rules do or will have them test w/ the lowest regen setting in order to show a "worst case" number for the window sticker? If that's the case then it would make sense that they would only need to make the change going forward and not for old models.

multiple threads on this already - along with many posts that inaccurately say they are removing it (which is nonsense)
Only new cars don't have it, every existing car is completely unaffected by this - they have removed nothing from existing cars.
A cursory check of the car will validate that it is right there where it always is

Could be regulatory? Maybe EPA or some other country's rules do or will have them test w/ the lowest regen setting in order to show a "worst case" number for the window sticker? If that's the case then it would make sense that they would only need to make the change going forward and not for old models.
Exactly what I'm thinking. On BMWs they changed the 'auto engine stop/start' setting so it defaults back to enabled every time you start the car. On BMW forums the EPA rating was thought to have caused that. (Before the car would just remember the setting.)

Wait until winter
No different than driving a standard in the snow, regulate your throttle. If you want the car to coast more so you can rely on your ABS to slow you down you are driving too aggressively. ABS was never intended to slow you down faster, it was supposed to help you keep control of the car in a panic brake situation which is funny because panicked people usually just push and pray.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide