Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Energy and utility scale projects

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Giga Nevada is producing some 30 GWh a year in the biggest bldg in the world;

Well it was supposed to be the biggest building in the world, when it was completed. Which has never happened. It is only ~33% completed and I don't think that qualifies for the biggest building in the world title. (I suspect that GigaTexas will be bigger.)

Well it was supposed to be the biggest building in the world, when it was completed. Which has never happened. It is only ~33% completed and I don't think that qualifies for the biggest building in the world title. (I suspect that GigaTexas will be bigger.)
You're correct. It's not that high on the list, which itself is probably incomplete.

Someone mentioned DBE not working for small diameters. I've heard that as well. A large hollow core would explain why 4680 has 5.5x the volume of 2170 but only 5x the energy capacity. Of course it's not clear DBE even works for large diameters yet, or ever will. IMHO Panasonic and LG are betting against it.

You're correct. It's not that high on the list, which itself is probably incomplete.

Someone mentioned DBE not working for small diameters. I've heard that as well. A large hollow core would explain why 4680 has 5.5x the volume of 2170 but only 5x the energy capacity. Of course it's not clear DBE even works for large diameters yet, or ever will. IMHO Panasonic and LG are betting against it.
Me thinks the shingle tabs also require a minimum radius. Plus, total area per turn in the inner layers is much less, so just skip is.

Andrew mentioned on the earnings call that all issues Kato had found had been overcome: transcript from Fool
Martin Viecha -- Senior Director of Investor Relations

Thank you very much. And the third question is, can you give us a progress update on dry coating of the battery electrode? At the Battery Day, Elon said, 'I would not say this is completely in the bag as – yet as the yields were low.'
Elon Musk -- Founder and Chief Executive Officer

Andrew?
Andrew Baglino -- Senior Vice President of Powertrain and Energy Engineering

Yes. Sure. It's true. The in-house cell manufacturing system we revealed at Battery Day contains new processes and equipment.

So we did expect some unknown unknowns and technical challenges to arise through the production ramp. The Kato team, however, has been able to solve each manufacturing problem presented to date, and continues to improve yield and rate week-over-week and month-over-month as we move up the production S-Curve. At the same time, the cell engineering teams refined designs, and deepened understanding has reinforced our confidence in the drive process and 4680 design, meeting our performance and cost targets. And from a capacity perspective, we have 10 gigawatt hours worth of equipment landed at Kato.

The production staff is nearly all hired. Our material supply chain is established and the team is on track for full production ramp this year. Meanwhile, we've developed enough engineering confidence with our 4680 design and the production process and equipment to kick off manufacturing equipment and facility construction to support our 100 gigawatt hour 2022 goal

I posted links to these videos as it is important to remember how good Tesla's energy software solution is, particularly the VPP software.

Also SMR came to the same conclusion that I did in that Solar and Powerwall sales allow a home VPP and make the possibility of ongoing income streams from Tesla energy solutions more viable....

IMO the income streams could include:-
  • Licensing fees for software paid buy grid operators - generators, retailers, utilities.
  • Licensing fees and software sales to home VPP operators.
  • A cut of the money made form home VPPs from the retailer/utility or the homeowner.
  • Money made/saved from Tesla's own solar and battery installations..
I linked an article above about Australians being charged to export solar, a VPP is the gold standard solution to the issue of solar exports.
Add in the Tesla inverter home HVAC, hot water, home charging, smart WiFi based timer devices for power outlets, etc.
A VPP can optimize most significant uses of power in a household, in aggregate VPPs can do a lot to optimize power at the grid level and reduce costs.

• Helpful
Reactions: mspohr and CLK350
IMO the income streams could include:-
  • Licensing fees for software paid buy grid operators - generators, retailers, utilities.
  • Licensing fees and software sales to home VPP operators.
  • A cut of the money made form home VPPs from the retailer/utility or the homeowner.
  • Money made/saved from Tesla's own solar and battery installations..
I linked an article above about Australians being charged to export solar, a VPP is the gold standard solution to the issue of solar exports.
Add in the Tesla inverter home HVAC, hot water, home charging, smart WiFi based timer devices for power outlets, etc.
A VPP can optimize most significant uses of power in a household, in aggregate VPPs can do a lot to optimize power at the grid level and reduce costs.
I'd see Tesla realising some additional income streams, particularly where they are the primary operator of the VPP. With a large enough VPP in a grid network region Tesla could amalgamte the whole VPP to participate in the various frequency control (FCAS) markets and sell power into demand response markets. The individual home owner would receive a cut of the fees generated to give Tesla the right to cycle their batteries. Increasingly I see Tesla becoming a major utility provider of energy and services on grids rather than just selling or licensing their products to other grid operators and utilities. The Texas mega-pack installation appears to be one of the first instances of this at the industrial scale through their Gambit Energy Storage subsiduary.

Good except for

Open to support for natural gas and oil heat generation. We are open to supporting the
use of natural gas and oil products for household heat generation projects, in particular
clean cooking projects, if no cleaner options are feasible. We will consider natural gas
and oil products for industrial or district heat generation on a case-by-case basis.

Reactions: replicant
This US EIA report (EIA - U.S. Battery Storage Market Trends) has data some here may find interesting.

It reckons that at end 2019 the USA had 1.688 gigawatthours (GWh) of utility-scale battery storage. To put that in perspective at end 2019 Tesla had installed 3.613 GWh of utilty+domestic scale storage worldwide. I reckon there is about 50% of Tesla storage going into Powerwall so that is domestic scale, with ther rest being a fair proxy for utility scale. So that would be 1.8 GWh of Tesla utility scale storage shipped. What we don't know is what fraction of that went to USA, but even if it was only one-third (with the rest being say Aus + UK + etc as we know there were installs in those countries) then that gives a pretty shrewd indication of the likely Tesla storage market share. Other data I have seen gives Tesla a 50% market share.

By the way this List of countries by electricity production - Wikipedia gives USA as being 4/22 of total world electricty use, which again puts things in perspective, i.e. 18% of world fraction.

This US EIA report (EIA - U.S. Battery Storage Market Trends) has data some here may find interesting.

It reckons that at end 2019 the USA had 1.688 gigawatthours (GWh) of utility-scale battery storage. To put that in perspective at end 2019 Tesla had installed 3.613 GWh of utilty+domestic scale storage worldwide. I reckon there is about 50% of Tesla storage going into Powerwall so that is domestic scale, with ther rest being a fair proxy for utility scale. So that would be 1.8 GWh of Tesla utility scale storage shipped. What we don't know is what fraction of that went to USA, but even if it was only one-third (with the rest being say Aus + UK + etc as we know there were installs in those countries) then that gives a pretty shrewd indication of the likely Tesla storage market share. Other data I have seen gives Tesla a 50% market share.

By the way this List of countries by electricity production - Wikipedia gives USA as being 4/22 of total world electricty use, which again puts things in perspective, i.e. 18% of world fraction.

Interesting points on the co-location of batteries with generation and how it's expected to trend heavily to hybrid PV.

That Article You Linked said:

More direct support from solar power​

Most large-scale battery energy storage systems we expect to come online in the United States over the next three years are to be built at power plants that also produce electricity from solar photovoltaics, a change in trend from recent years.

• As of December 2020, the majority of U.S. large-scale battery storage systems were built as standalone facilities, meaning they were not located at sites that generate power from natural resources. Only 38% of the total capacity to generate power from large-scale battery storage sites was co-located with other generators: 30% was co-located specifically with generation from renewable resources, such as wind or solar PV, and 8% was co-located with fossil fuel generators.
  • We expect the relationship between solar energy and battery storage to change in the United States over the next three years because most planned upcoming projects will be co-located with generation, in particular with solar facilities. If all currently announced projects from 2021 to 2023 become operational, then the share of U.S. battery storage that is co-located with generation would increase from 30% to 60%

Co-location with PV is kind of obvious:
- Known production curves with many hours of guaranteed spare inverter capacity.
- Already oversized due to the economics so there is already some otherwise wasted energy
- Adding storage will allow further oversizing, which should help both extend and flatten the production curve as seen from the grid.

Hybrid PV is going to be eating fossil peakers' supper in sunny locations. We should be particularly happy, because it's replacing the least efficient generation.

Prime MoverCoalPetroleumNatural GasNuclear
Steam Generator10002102361034710442
Gas Turbine--1331511098--
Internal Combustion--103258899--
Combined CycleW96627633--

Last edited:
Reactions: petit_bateau

Tesla hit 1 GWh in May 2018. If I add 100 MWh for the back half of Q2 2018 and 239 + 225 MWh for Q3 and Q4 respectively I get 1564 MWh at YE18. Then 1561 MWh in 2019 gives 3125 MWh at YE19.

Tesla said they installed the 100,000th Powerwall in Q1 2020. Almost all those would be the 13.5 kWh PW2, so probably ~1250 MWh as of YE19. That gives about 1.9 GWh of utility scale as of YE19, very close to your estimate.

I'm not sure how well EIA/DOE tracks storage, though. They maintain a list of projects, but it seems to be lacking.

- Known production curves with many hours of guaranteed spare inverter capacity.
- Already oversized due to the economics so there is already some otherwise wasted energy
- Adding storage will allow further oversizing, which should help both extend and flatten the production curve as seen from the grid.
Co-lo also saves on connection cost. Instead of 400 MW worth of inverters, transformers, etc. that are only fully used at the peak you have 200 MW that are fully used 12+ hours/day.

DoE and Secretary Granholm seem to understand the crucial nature of storage, but not seeing much early action at the federal regulatory level. I guess without massive subsidy, it's best to integrate storage requirements for solar and wind PPAs alongside something like a revenue-neutral carbon tax.

A few simple rules from FERC would get all this moving in a flash, we simply lack the political will.

We don't even need any subsidies. Hell....a piece of legislation to phase out all current energy subsidy, initiate a reasonable revenue-neutral carbon tax to funded transmission build-out, and giving renewables grid priority would literally solve all our problems for free. It's just not in many people's interest to do so.

Tesla hit 1 GWh in May 2018. If I add 100 MWh for the back half of Q2 2018 and 239 + 225 MWh for Q3 and Q4 respectively I get 1564 MWh at YE18. Then 1561 MWh in 2019 gives 3125 MWh at YE19.

Tesla said they installed the 100,000th Powerwall in Q1 2020. Almost all those would be the 13.5 kWh PW2, so probably ~1250 MWh as of YE19. That gives about 1.9 GWh of utility scale as of YE19, very close to your estimate.

I'm not sure how well EIA/DOE tracks storage, though. They maintain a list of projects, but it seems to be lacking.

Co-lo also saves on connection cost. Instead of 400 MW worth of inverters, transformers, etc. that are only fully used at the peak you have 200 MW that are fully used 12+ hours/day.
I think my data respcted all the various announcements you have noted, plus a few other snippets I've picked up.

This is an area whereall the salaried analysts (or interns) are woefully behind the curve. Very few people understand the import of these numbers, and even fewer are motivated to speak publicly about them. If you sit in a MegaCorp Utility it is awful hard to say "al our bases are belong them".

A nuance I would put forwards is that the further away from the equator a site gets, the more the coupling of wind with storage should be preferred. However the way the market is put together at the moment coupling solar PV with storage is very much the default option at all latitudes. Right now that nuance is no big deal, but if it becomes baked in for too much longer then we are collectively running into a very sub-optimal cul-de-sac. Timing of generation (or storage release) in calendar-terms is insufficiently rewarded in the market at the moment, in almost all markets around the world.

Even Oilprice.com is picking up on the EIA battery story. I especially like that EIA is recognizing that battery storage will grow exponentially for a while. (Big change from the days when all assumed growth was essentially linear.)
The exponential growth is set to continue over the next few years—as per EIA estimates, utilities have reported plans to install over 10,000 MW of additional large-scale battery power capacity in the United States between this year and 2023. This new battery power capacity would be 10 times the capacity in 2019.

It seems the EIA IA assuming a mere 20% annual growth rate, in spite of recent 35%. But still this counts as exponential growth. However, 35% growth would add nearly 15GW thru 2023. We'll see.

• Informative
Reactions: UkNorthampton