Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Tesla Europe Registration Stats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Atlantis. 15 registrations in January 2019 is correct. It was published here on the Aran website (association of automotive industry). To find that page, I have clicked on the top link in the middle here. We can continue monitoring this number in February and March. Also, let me know if you can find 2018 registrations on www.aran.pt, www.acap.pt or www.autoinforma.pt or some other source. However, it can't be a number published on ev-sales.blogspot.com with the letter "e" next to it, because "e" means estimate on that website.

Reactions: Atlantis
Yeah, unfortunately, it seems there is no way to obtain official numbers for 2018...But for 2019, it seems that, thanks to the Model 3, and after USA and Canada in 2018, the sky will be the limit for Tesla, in Portugal and in most other European markets...:)
P.S.: Thanks for the other sources for Tesla sales numbers in the Portuguese market!

@Troy @hobbes I know you guys don't really like EV-sales.blogspot.com as a source, but as far as I know we won't have detailed official data from Belgium, only totals. According to their charts Tesla Sold 197 Model 3s this month and 26 Model S. The X didn't make it to the Top 20, but using official totals this leaves 14 for that.

Should we update our stats with this breakdown?

PS they also show 1 Model 3 for January.

Last edited:
@Troy @hobbes I know you guys don't really like EV-sales.blogspot.com as a source, but as far as I know we won't have detailed official data from Belgium, only totals. According to their charts Tesla Sold 197 Model 3s this month and 26 Model S. The X didn't make it to the Top 20, but using official totals his leaves 14 for that.

Should we update our stats with this breakdown?

PS they also show 1 Model 3 for January.

Just mark it as non official or better: estimate and we can replace it with better data once it appears!

Reactions: mrdoubleb
For Belgium, the official source shows 237 Teslas but doesn't show the S/X/3 split. Ev-sales.blogspot.com shows 26/14/197 for S/X/3. The total is 237 but the data source for the split is unknown. It's up to @hobbes.

By the way, the sheet is designed in such a way that if two entries are approved for the same country/month, the latter takes effect even if it's an estimate. For example, for Belgium/January 2019, we already have the official number approved. Now there is a new entry for Belgium/January 2019 with the source as ev-sales.blogspot.com. If this is approved, it will override the previously approved entry.

Btw, @mrdoubleb, for Switzerland, the excel file by model shows YTD and previous months need to be subtracted. However, the excel file by brand already shows this month's number.

@hobbes, there was no data for Portugal in 2018. Therefore it was not included in the top 13. In 2017 Portugal was #19 in Europe. However, the number for February is going to be released soon and I have seen some news that it's going to be high and they could be #7 or #8 based on the first two months. We can look into this when the number is out.

@Steve m, it's fixed now. There is a formula that splits Tesla numbers into S/X/3 automatically but it needed a minor change to work again.

Last edited:
For Belgium, the official source shows 237 Teslas but doesn't show the S/X/3 split. Ev-sales.blogspot.com shows 26/14/197 for S/X/3. The total is 237 but the data source for the split is unknown. It's up to @hobbes.

By the way, the sheet is designed in such a way that if two entries are approved for the same country/month, the latter takes effect even if it's an estimate. For example, for Belgium/January 2019, we already have the official number approved. Now there is a new entry for Belgium/January 2019 with the source as ev-sales.blogspot.com. If this is approved, it will override the previously approved entry.

Btw, @mrdoubleb, for Switzerland, the excel file by model shows YTD and previous months need to be subtracted. However, the excel file by brand already shows this month's number.

@hobbes, there was no data for Portugal in 2018. Therefore it was not included in the top 13. In 2017 Portugal was #19 in Europe. However, the number for February is going to be released soon and I have seen some news that it's going to be high and they could be #7 or #8 based on the first two months. We can look into this when the number is out.

@Steve m, it's fixed now. There is a formula that splits Tesla numbers into S/X/3 automatically but it needed a minor change to work again.
Apologies @Troy I know that about the Swiss data but still managed to screw it up. I have now entered the model split data and also deducted January from S/X.

Btw we now have almost everything done but 3-4 entries are still pending validation - if anyone has time for that.

We've also discussed the Belgium situation with @hobbes (see exchange a few messages above) so I have entered the model split as an estimate.

I am also considering re-entering January Germany data as they now have correctly identified 1 Model 3. Just 1 car, but triggers my OCD .

• Funny
Reactions: hobbes
@hobbes, Portugal is now at #9 with 124 Teslas after the first two months but we don't have it in top 13 because there was no data for 2018. See 2019 here. We could drop Ireland and add Portugal. Do you want to do that?

@mrdoubleb, I will leave Belgium ev-sales.blogspot.com decision to @hobbes. Germany looks correct. Feb sheet shows 959 for Feb and 961 YTD Model 3s.

@Troy you might just want to add a few of the other countries to the main chart as Model 3 sales gain momentum. Denmark almost sold more 3s in Feb than all S/X in 2018. It's getting exciting!

What is the follow-through potential? Clearly this is a result of the near 3 year wait from 3/31/2016 reservation taking. What do you expect to see every month ongoing through 2019?

@bonaire, probably not huge. Troy is right as the top 13 countries in the EU+EFTA made up ~91% of the total new passenger car market last year.

GERMANY 22.0%
UNITED KINGDOM 15.2%
FRANCE 13.9%
ITALY 12.2%
SPAIN 8.5%
BELGIUM 3.5%
POLAND 3.4%
NETHERLANDS 2.8%
SWEDEN 2.3%
AUSTRIA 2.2%
SWITZERLAND 1.9%
CZECH REPUBLIC 1.7%
PORTUGAL 1.5%
DENMARK 1.4%
NORWAY 0.9%

@hobbes the Belgian per model break-down I've entered last week is still pending validation and today I've also entered the official Austrian per-model numbers. If you or anyone has time to validate it, I'd appreciate it to get our Model 3 totals a bit corrected.

Also to @Troy not sure what you guys want to do about UK (and Ireland). Right now the formula calculates Model 3 deliveries from the total estimates, but we know there have been zero right hand drive deliveries. Do we want to leave it like that until official Q1 numbers down the road, or can you work your magic on the formula? Alternatively, we could estimate S/X ratio and enter the detailed data like that. For the latter solution Q3 2018 shows 57% S vs 43% X in the UK, while Q4 had 53% S vs 47% X. We could just keep the Q4 ratio going when estimating S/X split for Q1. Thoughts?

@mrdoubleb, it looks like you have discovered a way to get to numbers by model on the Austrian website. Can you explain how I can find the link if I start on the homepage? I want to update the instructions.

Ireland doesn't need any adjustment because the website already publishes S/X/3 numbers separately. I have now submitted those.

@hobbes, OK, let's have a closer look at Portugal and Denmark again after March numbers.

Last edited: