Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
65 pages of reading comments is long. lol

is the general consensus that the EV credit will NOT be valid for those vehicles (2022's) purchased before the new year? i can't seem to find any hard evidence that this may apply retroactively to cars purchased or delivered in say...November...?

Reactions: Fluffhead
It would be nice if the credit is for 2022 vehicles then it should start after Nov 1 of this year since Tesla is giving 2022 cars starting Nov 1, 2021
Consumers will be very happy if this happens but who knows what is going to happen.
Plus, if this doesn't happen, consumers are going to put their orders on hold until January of next year and then who knows how long of a wait it will be? To be honest its hard to say No to $8k

Attachments

• Section.PNG
    Section.PNG
    52 KB · Views: 89
The May 2021 retroactive piece was in senate legislation months ago. It has been replaced with what came from the House Ways and Means Committee and there has been no mention of retroactive credits in any of the updated legislation. I'd be shocked if that got inserted into the existing legislation that has been published for review and vote.

Reactions: oktane and voxel
So people don't have to search
That's the oddly worded 2022 text I referred to. So, the manufacturers must agree to something for cars made starting in 2022. How exactly this connects to who gets the tax credit isn't jumping out to me. A 2022 VIN? A car purchased in 2022? A car made in 2022 (or later) that is purchased?

It'd be a shame to hold an order to find a November 2021 with a 2022 VIN would qualify. I'd be worse to hold, get the car in January, and find out you don't qualify because the car was made in December.

That's the oddly worded 2022 text I referred to. So, the manufacturers must agree to something for cars made starting in 2022. How exactly this connects to who gets the tax credit isn't jumping out to me. A 2022 VIN? A car purchased in 2022? A car made in 2022 (or later) that is purchased?

It'd be a shame to hold an order to find a November 2021 with a 2022 VIN would qualify. I'd be worse to hold, get the car in January, and find out you don't qualify because the car was made in December.
So later on in the law it says acquired after so I think I was wrong (at least for the tax credit portion we care about).

Attachments

• acquired_by.jpg
    acquired_by.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 58