Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's the oddly worded 2022 text I referred to. So, the manufacturers must agree to something for cars made starting in 2022. How exactly this connects to who gets the tax credit isn't jumping out to me. A 2022 VIN? A car purchased in 2022? A car made in 2022 (or later) that is purchased?

It'd be a shame to hold an order to find a November 2021 with a 2022 VIN would qualify. I'd be worse to hold, get the car in January, and find out you don't qualify because the car was made in December.
This is much ado about nothing. This is a set of requirements on manufacturers for reporting and assuring that vehicles meet the qualifications in the bill as of the proposed effective date. The bill does not impose these requirements prior to the effective date. It has NOTHING to do with disqualifying a vehicle manufactured earlier and acquired after 1/1/2022. Don't read something into the language that doesn't exist!

Those of us that took delivery this year are SOL then.
Some that took delivery did so at a far lower purchase price so the delta between old price <> current price minus potential EV incentives is smaller.

Not trying to be a jackwagon but this has been a fairly broadly discussed possibility since April/May of this year as the Democrats started sharing their EV and green energy incentive plans. Furthermore, the legislation hasn't even been voted on yet, and still has a very real chance of being modified yet again or even scrapped. I am not super empathetic to the "we got screwed" / victim mentality that comes across in some peoples posts. Nobody was forced to buy an EV, and those of us that are waiting or delaying delivery risk further delays in receiving our vehicles. Your Y is worth as much or more than you paid for at this point. Maybe sell it and get in line with the rest of us that are hoping for a tax incentive?

Last edited:
So it seems if a new EV credit is passed, Teslas will be eligible for probably $8k. The current price of a RWD Model 3 is $43,990. $43,990-$8k = $35,990. HEY, look, just like that, the $35k (+$990) Model 3 is back!
And if Teslas somehow become eligible for more than $8k (up to $10k in the Senate version) guess there's room for a couple more price hikes. ;)

After a few months... it will plummet $7500 or more like other EVs with tax credits. There are pros and cons with everything. EV normally depreciate 50% over 3 years which is primarily caused by these tax credits since why would you buy used when you can buy new for $7500 less?
or... tesla raise the price by 7500 kinda like what happened with the initial model 3 (higher price to reflect tax credit, lower the price after credits went away)

So it seems if a new EV credit is passed, Teslas will be eligible for probably $8k. The current price of a RWD Model 3 is $43,990. $43,990-$8k = $35,990. HEY, look, just like that, the $35k (+$990) Model 3 is back!
And if Teslas somehow become eligible for more than $8k (up to $10k in the Senate version) guess there's room for a couple more price hikes. ;)
I ordered a blue one right before the price bumps. $40,990-$8000 = $32,990. Nice.

Reactions: oktane
Some that took delivery did so at a far lower purchase price so the delta between old price <> current price minus potential EV incentives is smaller.

Not trying to be a jackwagon but this has been a fairly broadly discussed possibility since April/May of this year as the Democrats started sharing their EV and green energy incentive plans. Furthermore, the legislation hasn't even been voted on yet, and still has a very real chance of being modified yet again or even scrapped. I am not super empathetic to the "we got screwed" / victim mentality that comes across in some peoples posts. Nobody was forced to buy an EV, and those of us that are waiting or delaying delivery risk further delays in receiving our vehicles. Your Y is worth as much or more than you paid for at this point. Maybe sell it and get in line with the rest of us that are hoping for a tax incentive?
Here's how I squeezed over $14K in real and potential savings on my MY without a tax credit. One in the hand is worth two in the bush. ;)

$ 3204 - BMW lease Profit
$ 375 - BMW Disposition
$ 672 - BMW Registration
$ 1500 - EV Credit
$ 110 - Premium Connectivity
$ 500 - Supercharger Miles
$ 3000 - MY Price increase
$ 293 - Tax on increase
$ 4500 - (interest self financing)

$14,154 (Savings)

Reactions: Corndart

Good points and I don't need the money. I bet none of us do. I think I could game the system and probably come back $5k ahead due to the wasted sales tax, but not sure it's worth the aggravation or time. I think the pricing is unchanged at least for performance variants.

Reactions: Corndart
Well, I like all the calculations but I think we need to wait and see how this all works out before jumping ahead. There might be no EV credits at all in the bill after all negotiations are over.
Tesla made that easy for me this morning. They moved my EDD from 11/15-11/29 to late January. Now I can stop trying to decide whether to delay until 2022 or not!

Tesla made that easy for me this morning. They moved my EDD from 11/15-11/29 to late January. Now I can stop trying to decide whether to delay until 2022 or not!
They moved mine from February 2022 (this morning) to being assigned a VIN now. I asked to be put on hold until 2022 and they basically told me best they could do was a month. It will apparently be cancelled if I decline a VIN again. I'm guessing lots of people are delaying orders if they're moving through the queue that fast.

They moved mine from February 2022 (this morning) to being assigned a VIN now. I asked to be put on hold until 2022 and they basically told me best they could do was a month. It will apparently be cancelled if I decline a VIN again. I'm guessing lots of people are delaying orders if they're moving through the queue that fast.
I'd try a different SA. Seems like you get a different answer every time you speak to someone. Just keep asking until you hear what you want. Worst case, you lose $100 (or $250 depending on when you ordered) due to cancel but get an $8000 rebate. You're still plus $7900 or $7750 in the end ;)

I'd try a different SA. Seems like you get a different answer every time you speak to someone. Just keep asking until you hear what you want. Worst case, you lose $100 (or $250 depending on when you ordered) due to cancel but get an $8000 rebate. You're still plus $7900 or $7750 in the end ;)
Wouldn't you have to re-order at the current prices? There's some $2000-3000 increase from just a few weeks ago.

Reactions: Fluffhead