Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla forced an update of my P85D to 2019.16.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So staying connected to my null hotspot has been working. When I get in to drive, I disable wifi and it goes back to LTE. When I park, I re-enable wifi and it reconnects to the hotspot. The downside of course now is that I can't use the app any more so this really is a short term solution until I either root and disable cid updater or find a way to get the car on a hotspot where I can filter the traffic and prevent large file downloads.

One day you are going to valet park the car and the valet will be a Tesla fan and notice you are behind on your software updates. So thinking you don't know how the software updates work, he's going to connect to the establishment's WIFI, and select to install the latest software update.

"Great to see you again! I took super good care of your car and your car is all ready. I found a great corner space to park it and it is fully charged up with our Destination Charger. I even installed the latest software update for you! Oh, you are crying! I had no idea you'd be so happy with tears of joy!" :D:p

Thanks goodness I've never valet parked my Tesla. But joking aside, something LIKE that is bound to eventually happen. Most likely thing is I'll space and not turn wifi back on and get it connected to my null hotspot.

Or it'll turn out that they'll download it anyways on a long drive.

Reactions: neroden
You can still do that with v8....which I will stay on as long as possible.

But V8 opens new apps to different (in my view illogical) places either bottom or top (not always on top) and to keep the app tray available navigation can’t be on top... I know you can drag (and of course swap) apps to places but I found the earlier versions more logical in where the apps opened as standard.

One day you are going to valet park the car and the valet will be a Tesla fan and notice you are behind on your software updates. So thinking you don't know how the software updates work, he's going to connect to the establishment's WIFI, and select to install the latest software update.

Our local hospital ER only has valet parking, and there are A LOT of Teslas in this town.** So when I had to drive to the ER a couple of times recently (before my forced update!), I was seriously worried one of the valet drivers was going to do exactly this.

But I decided it was better to not say anything at all versus trying to explain what NOT to do (English isn't always their first language). So luckily, it never happened, but boy howdy, was I worried that someone would do that.

**Which is good, because I can rest assured that the valet parkers around here have had experience with how to drive and park Teslas.

Reactions: PhilDavid
Sounds pretty hopeless. Maybe all of you screwed S and X owners down by Tesla headquarters could ban together and petition and picket Tesla to fix this. I’ve written several letters to Tesla service, but I’m sure they fell on deaf ears. At this point I’m not disgruntled enough to make much of a stink, but it is kind of sad that I’ve been afraid to update my software for a year now.

I've said we should file a class action lawsuit for warranty violation, since Tesla broke stuff which came with our cars in v7 + and refuses to fix it.

I'm just not in a position to be the lead plaintiff, but I'd happily assist.

Our local hospital ER only has valet parking, and there are A LOT of Teslas in this town.** So when I had to drive to the ER a couple of times recently (before my forced update!), I was seriously worried one of the valet drivers was going to do exactly this.

But I decided it was better to not say anything at all versus trying to explain what NOT to do (English isn't always their first language). So luckily, it never happened, but boy howdy, was I worried that someone would do that.

**Which is good, because I can rest assured that the valet parkers around here have had experience with how to drive and park Teslas.

I have a solution to areas with bad parking options/valet only policies.

I park at the closest place I feel comfortable parking and then I either walk or Uber from there :)

And when valet parking is the absolutely only practical option, I ask for the actual person who will park my car and I tip that person $5-10 when I give the key and another tip when I get the car back. When I get the car back, I do walk around the car to make sure there are no issues. I feel awful doing this check around the car but I have to do that...

Well I am officially super freaked out by this. Power is the only reason I got a P. Have been refusing updates, and then one day the nag disappeared. Are they going to launch a stealth attack on me? Losing any power at all from a bloody software update is outrageously beyond the pale. Instead of crippling cars by software, you do the right thing and replace the detective weak batteries under warranty! I need to mitigate this potential robbery asap clearly.

I was also force updated...then the car wouldn't start for over 5 minutes. What else do I need to reset? It's drivable but keeps taking a long time to "start".

Not positive, but one claimed fix is to delete your NAV destinations. My wife's Version 9 car boots more slowly, as well. Tesla offered no solution to frequent ~30 second start-ups. She had never deleted a destination, over 2yrs. The same one entered twice leaves two, etc. So, in the end I deleted at least a couple hundred. Car booted more quickly, but is still slower than V8 (which starts right up). I understand what Version 9 is doing is loading all previous destinations, in case you select one. Rather than a slow calc while driving, a reselected route map supposedly comes up faster.

The complaint that most hit home, about this particular "update" problem, was someone in a carpool line who couldn't move up until her Tesla had finished booting. I'm guessing she wasn't looking for this feature.

I have a solution to areas with bad parking options/valet only policies.

I park at the closest place I feel comfortable parking and then I either walk or Uber from there :)

And when valet parking is the absolutely only practical option, I ask for the actual person who will park my car and I tip that person $5-10 when I give the key and another tip when I get the car back. When I get the car back, I do walk around the car to make sure there are no issues. I feel awful doing this check around the car but I have to do that...
I don't go to places that only have valet parking, period.

Fortunately that's not retroactive back to cars that were purchased prior to those revised warranty terms they added in 2017.
Fortunately that's not retroactive back to cars that were purchased prior to those revised warranty terms they added in 2017.
These were added Feb 2019 and include in the description 2015 S 60. However like I said in your previous warranty you were required to have your yearly service whereas you no longer are in this. So I will follow this one since I don’t want to pay $500-$750 a yr
B5356AE5-6C3F-4621-B77D-EBABE8625494.jpeg