Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla forced an update of my P85D to 2019.16.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even without the specific wording in the warranty about software updates, I think Tesla can probably still deny a warranty claim for not doing proper maintenance, and it's conceivable that a software update could be considered preventive maintenance in some situations.

Here's an example: We know that the eMMC in our MCUs can wear out because of too many writes. Tesla could (and should!) fix this with a software update that disables extraneous writes to the eMMC. If they did push out such an update, and you refused to install it, they might be in their rights to deny a warranty claim for eMMC failure. (But the warranty should still be valid for any unrelated problems!)

But they should still not force a software update on anyone. Instead, they should communicate the importance of the update so we can make our own decisions on whether to install it or not. (But, yeah, right! We all know how good Tesla is at communication!)

They can’t change the warranty terms on any car sold before any new terms go into effect.
So your original warranty requires you to do a yearly service... do you still follow that warranty? Cause if not than your voiding your original warranty. Can’t pick and choose which parts of the 2 warranties you want to honor or not than.

Even without the specific wording in the warranty about software updates, I think Tesla can probably still deny a warranty claim for not doing proper maintenance, and it's conceivable that a software update could be considered preventive maintenance in some situations.

Here's an example: We know that the eMMC in our MCUs can wear out because of too many writes. Tesla could (and should!) fix this with a software update that disables extraneous writes to the eMMC. If they did push out such an update, and you refused to install it, they might be in their rights to deny a warranty claim for eMMC failure. (But the warranty should still be valid for any unrelated problems!)

But they should still not force a software update on anyone. Instead, they should communicate the importance of the update so we can make our own decisions on whether to install it or not. (But, yeah, right! We all know how good Tesla is at communication!)
Completely agree. Just informing since Tesla tries to deny most warranties now and claim it is another issue rather than what is really wrong and should be covered

No manufacturer can require you to perform service to keep a new car factory warranty valid in the US. It was never required.

While they can't void you warranty as whole, they can certainly deny warranty claims for improper or lack of service, for problems that are related to the improper service. If you drove an ICE without oil changes until the engine seized up, would you expect the manufacturer to cover the repairs?

So your original warranty requires you to do a yearly service... do you still follow that warranty? Cause if not than your voiding your original warranty. Can’t pick and choose which parts of the 2 warranties you want to honor or not than.

Tesla can make changes retroactively if the are in the other parties favor. Like when they added covering car fires to the warranty, and when they said that annual maintenance was not longer required for the warranty. They can't retroactively make the warranty worse for the other party.

No manufacturer can require you to perform service to keep a new car factory warranty valid in the US. It was never required.
It was required before. When you purchased your Tesla they gave you an option to pay for 4 yrs of service in advance at a cheaper price. Wasn’t just for shits and giggles when they tried to sell that to you

“To provide you with even more assurance, this Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty will also cover damage to your vehicle from a Battery fire even if it is the result of driver error. “

What if the driver error is failing to update or obtain service? :D

( yes I know what is supposed to mean)

While they can't void you warranty as whole, they can certainly deny warranty claims for improper or lack of service, for problems that are related to the improper service. If you drove an ICE without oil changes until the engine seized up, would you expect the manufacturer to cover the repairs?
Yes, agreed. Magnusson-Moss is clear on this. What they CAN’T do is say the warranty on your shocks and struts is invalid because you didn’t change your wiper blades every year.

It was required before.
No, it wasn’t.

Tesla has required evidence of annual service to be eligible for an Extended Service Agreement, but never for the original factory warranty (because that would be illegal in the US).

Reactions: sorka and kavyboy
So your original warranty requires you to do a yearly service... do you still follow that warranty?

Yup, right up until they said I didn't have to anymore. In fact I lost the entire value of the last annual service visit.
Cause if not than your voiding your original warranty.

So far we have never heard of Tesla denying anyone warranty service because they didn't perform the (now unnecessary) annual service.

. Can’t pick and choose which parts of the 2 warranties you want to honor or not than.

Turns out I can.

Service told me I should probably upgrade my mcu soon since it is running slowly.!? Not since the magic goo came out, which is not actually a problem.
Wtf? Reason is the newer software is so big and uses so much more.

Don’t push that crap to our cars that did work great before all of the changes that these cars were not meant for!
Upgrade to what? I thought MCU1->MCU2 was not possible.

Reactions: dark cloud
I don't know. I thought they were?
I told service I tried to stay on version 8 but my Mother in law drove my car and updated it. Service said 'Oh that sucks. V8 is much better"
if they believe we should not have 9 and this software is messing up old MCUs - how is that ok?
not super happy... also they did not charge my car at service when I left it there with 6% on Friday. thanks. i never leave my car at that low of an SOC. at least I took voltage readings and wrote my battery data down when I left it.

MCU should not be something like tires. WTF

Contrary to what I have posted previously (my opinion, that is), I have since been informed that an not only is an MCU1->MCU2 possible, but Tesla has an upgrade kit developed internally.

But they have no plans to release it or perform MCU upgrades. They'd rather you just buy a new car.

Service told me I should probably upgrade my mcu soon since it is running slowly.!

I assume they meant 'replace' not 'upgrade'? Are you out of warranty?

Tesla never required any scheduled services. They used to recommend them, but that's all they were - recommended services. It was never required.

What you're claiming is Tesla was breaking the law. They were not. It is illegal to require paid services in order to retain warranty and that's why it was never required.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
You're as wrong here as you were in another thread where you were hocking your FUD and misinformation. I'm looking at my new vehicle warranty right now for my 2013 P85. Nothing in there about service. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Tesla cannot retroactively change a warranty term. Tesla can voluntarily choose to apply new, less restrictive warranty terms at time of service as a courtesy, but Tesla can never be more restrictive or require that you do anything beyond the original warranty terms at the time of purchase.

You're as wrong here as you were in another thread where you were hocking your FUD and misinformation. I'm looking at my new vehicle warranty right now for my 2013 P85. Nothing in there about service. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Tesla cannot retroactively change a warranty term. Tesla can voluntarily choose to apply new, less restrictive warranty terms at time of service as a courtesy, but Tesla can never be more restrictive or require that you do anything beyond the original warranty terms at the time of purchase.
Check the account status of the person you're responding to.
Thanks mods! :)

Well, they've really stepped to far this time. I am livid.

I've been actively rejecting V9.0 updates to my car since V8.1-2018.18. The last time my car had an update was over a year ago (see EV-FW info below).

But overnight my car got updated.. and much to my horror, shock, and surprise this morning when got in the car, I was greeted with the standard update notice and V9.

Keep in mind that I got home with 11% charge and forgot to plug-in. And my car has not connected to Wi-fi in over a year.

Now I'm not going to go into all "entitled" mode and say I'm going to sue Tesla or start a class-action lawsuit or assault the local service center to roll it back. Because (a) I'm not that kind of person, and (2), I know it's pointless.

I'm just stinking mad that I now have to suffer with the utter bullcrap software that is V9.

The only upside is that now I don't have to be afraid to go in for service. My charge port door was throwing some errors last week, but it resolved itself. Oh yeah, and Teslatari. Woot. :mad:

View attachment 413421
View attachment 413427

View attachment 413429
They got me last night. They forced V10 on me. Never had V9. Kind of glad they ripped the band-aid off for me. Now it's time to face my worst fears.