Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla has wiped away any mention of Blind Spot Detection / Lane Departure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Reeler

Decade of Pure EV Driving
Oct 14, 2015
Denver, CO
Anyone notice that Tesla's web site no longer claims Blind Spot Detection or Lane Departure Warning as a feature. Advertising was prominent in describing their autopilot and was in their press releases, but now the site is mum on these features.

Tesla marketing 101: overpromise to pump up sales, underdeveliver even with software updates and then erase the evidence or the original promise. It was some crafty computer science for sure to take the short-range ultrasonic parking sensors and reformulate them as a blind spot detection feature, but reality has set in.

As many threads here set forth, their AP 1.0 sensors were incapable of making this work even with software upgrades and some are saying the same for their AP 2.0 sensor suite. AP 1.0 is just lane keeping with adaptive cruise control as a practical matter. It remains to be seen what AP 2.0 will reliably support.

Too bad for all buyers that were beguiled into purchasing because of those advertised features. I fear the L5 autonomy is going to take the same trajectory.

Yet not concerned about it, AP 2.0 will eventually make your rearview and side mirrors obsolete. There won't be any Blindspots.

Go watch the 2016 CES video about the nvidia px2 the car will build 360 degree 3d models from the cameras and ultra sonic sensors, taking into account all vehicles, speeds and surrounding objects, constantly tracking the safe and available paths of travel.

• Disagree
Reactions: Matt125 and neroden
Huh? My car was built in 2014 and has both of these features...

According to the web site today, your car never had those features.

That is not why it is not on site. These features WERE in AP 1. AP 2 cars are temporarily without full AP 1 capability, but will soon eclipse as software is released. I thought that was common knowledge on this forum?!?!?

They have removed old press releases from the AP 1.0 days mentioning the features. The site talks about both versions of the AP separately and neither mention these features.

They are erasing away any mention of these features. Rather sleazy.

They are erasing away any mention of these features. Rather sleazy.
It appears that you do not know how to effectively use Google to search a website. Here is how to do it:

Enter this in the Google search bar: site:teslamotors.com blind spot detection (or whatever word or words you want to find on a site)

That took me to this page Press Kit | Tesla "Tesla Press Information" which in the Model X section under "Safety" states "blind spot warning". The page is not dated but it included Model 3 information. There is no way to know how old the Model X section information is. In the Model S section it does not mention "blind spot warning" but states "Active safety technologies, including collision avoidance and automatic emergency braking, will become available in December 2016 and roll out through over-the-air software updates" which appears to be an accurate statement.

Here is another mention of blind spot, but in this case it is called "blind spot warning" Introducing the All-Wheel Drive Model S 70D

I could keep scrolling through the Google search results pages, just for the Tesla website, and find more, but I have made my point.

I think you are attributing motivations to Tesla that are not supported by the facts. I am phrasing that as politely as possible.

That specific Google search also of course produces a huge number of results for that phrase from the various Tesla Motors forums (not TMC) which is not surprising since there are many forum discussions about AP that mention it.

Here is another mention of blind spot, but in this case it is called "blind spot warning" Introducing the All-Wheel Drive Model S 70D
I think you're being a bit too hard on the OP. Tesla has a history of describing features and capabilities on the web site and then changing those specs. As an example, my 2012 S still doesn't have Wifi Hotspot feature that was originally advertised. This is not an isolated case.

It's totally reasonable -- and informative -- to post about features that "vanish" from the current product description pages. Old versions of the page and blog comments are somewhat irrelevant. As another example, Tesla blogged about the Battery Replacement Plan for Model S. They never provided -- online or in-person -- the ability to purchase that but was never able to.

Fast forward 6 months by which time AP2 should have "AP1 parity" delivered to customers. If the blind spot and lane departure features are not included, then Tesla isn't wrong and has no legal exposure -- because the product described in the Oct 2016 webpage doesn't promise or even mention such features.

That's not a pessimist prediction, but rather a realist one.

An optimist prediction is to expect/hope that what they deliver may replace these features with an improved feature set that exceeds the capabilities. Such as "360 degree encroachment" instead of merely "blind spot".

Last edited:
how bad is the BSM on tesla? i just confirmed my order and now seeing lots of posts on tesla BSM being awful. on my current vehicles, BSM is one of feature I really like specially with the mirror indications.

while test driving, i could not really figure the performance of the BSM though i did mention to the sales person the lack of mirror BSM indicator light and he said, 1.0 AP BSM is not so good and people rely on rear view camera -- but it is expected to improve a lot on AP 2.0 ? any clues on what these improvements are and will it get on par with other cars BSM performance?

how bad is the BSM on tesla? i just confirmed my order and now seeing lots of posts on tesla BSM being awful. on my current vehicles, BSM is one of feature I really like specially with the mirror indications.

while test driving, i could not really figure the performance of the BSM though i did mention to the sales person the lack of mirror BSM indicator light and he said, 1.0 AP BSM is not so good and people rely on rear view camera -- but it is expected to improve a lot on AP 2.0 ? any clues on what these improvements are and will it get on par with other cars BSM performance?
"Blind Spot Detection is disappointing"

Reactions: neroden and Reeler

With AP 1.0 it's terrible. That's an engineering translation of "not so good".
With AP 2.0 (what you're getting) there is no reason to suggest that it won't work well. It has both the side cameras, and improved ultrasonic sensors. Plus it's not like it can really do EAP let alone FSD without having a really solid blind/side-spot monitoring.

So I wouldn't worry about BSM in AP 2.0

Reactions: Reeler and seevT
Before:
July 19 2016 Specs.PNG

After:
Nov 27 2016 Specs.PNG

There's no conspiracy here. Blind spot detection (Active Safety Technologies) is part of AP2.0 which is not available yet.

It isn't mentioned on the order page either like it used to be. They talk about the full autonomy on the order pages, but no mention of blind spot warning or lane departure warning. The Enhanced Autopilot should have these features if AP 2.0 will match the capability of AP 1.0.

I guess we will see if they ever add those back in as features once AP 2.0 is up and running. Tesla has never been bashful about touting future capability.

Reactions: Eclectic