Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla hurt their own profits by putting wimpy chargers in 3's.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly, charging off a plain 110V is MORE than enough on people's daily commutes. Average person only commutes 30 miles a day. Charge it overnight, you have even more than 30 miles. Installing an EV plug in my garage would be nice, but the circuit breakers are on the other side of the house (100ft away) and I'm getting quoted anywhere from $4000-6000 by different people in my area, all saying it would require new cabling and opening up walls and removing storage cabinets I spent a fair amount of money and time installing myself.

I did make the mistake of saying it would be for a Tesla though.

They should. I've pointed out several major problems in the 3 design and offered ways to correct them, but they aren't listening to me here on the forums.

And SO WHAT if the big charger is not absolutely needed? 'MERICA! More bigger better faster just because!!!

@timk225, ignore the haters who say you should work at Tesla. Why limit yourself? Start your own company! But, in order to preserve your competitive advantage, please stop giving away your great ideas.

@timk225, ignore the haters who say you should work at Tesla. Why limit yourself? Start your own company! But, in order to preserve your competitive advantage, please stop giving away your great ideas.

Timmy boy should be shorting TSLA with what a colossal failure this car is going to be and buy a Model S. Haven't heard any complaints (yet) about that car!

• Funny
Reactions: cwerdna
Do people ever really use their UMC for unplanned charging? 120v charging is useless, and I just don't see much opportunity for finding random NEMA 14-50 outlets (except for RV parks). Basically all public charging is provided by J1772 (or Chademo/CCS). I've never felt the need to bring my UMC with me in the car, it's pretty much permanently attached to the 14-50 outlet in my garage.
More California-centric thinking. 120V charging overnight at hotels without EV charging is far from useless, especially when you use the 5-20 adapter for 20A outlets (which most commercial outlets are). I'm happy for that 5-6 miles/hr overnight.

What do you propose Tesla eliminate from the base model 3 in order to install a more expensive 72A charger and still keep the price at $35,000?

By the way I have never needed faster home charging than my 14-50 provides. People installling HPWCs at home are almost always doing it for looks or for a misguided notion that they always need to have the UMC with them in the car, not for faster home charging.

Tesla shouldn't eliminate anything, if they gave us a decent charger, that would at least partly make up for how they are ripping us off on ugly black paint ($1000 to get another color), and ugly Aero wheels ($1500 for the one option).

And the unit cost of these larger chargers will be a small difference, probably no more than $20 or so. Tesla is already making 48 and 72 amp chargers for the S and X, just make more of those! Why design a different unit, keep a different part in stock, etc? And if Tesla suddenly starts ordering more of these chargers that are already being made, economy of scale kicks in, and they probably get an even better price on the much higher volume!

Seriously, Tesla needs to hire me for at least $250K as a Product Designer, I don't have all the answers, but I do have some. And I am an experienced IT person already, so when I'm not fixing design mistakes, I can help with the computer network.

Tesla shouldn't eliminate anything, if they gave us a decent charger, that would at least partly make up for how they are ripping us off on ugly black paint ($1000 to get another color), and ugly Aero wheels ($1500 for the one option).

And the unit cost of these larger chargers will be a small difference, probably no more than $20 or so. Tesla is already making 48 and 72 amp chargers for the S and X, just make more of those! Why design a different unit, keep a different part in stock, etc? And if Tesla suddenly starts ordering more of these chargers that are already being made, economy of scale kicks in, and they probably get an even better price on the much higher volume!

Seriously, Tesla needs to hire me for at least $250K as a Product Designer, I don't have all the answers, but I do have some. And I am an experienced IT person already, so when I'm not fixing design mistakes, I can help with the computer network.

There's a $200 difference between a 32AMP and a 48AMP charger sold by clipper creek.

Even if it were $20 so what? You can buy the longer range version if you want it so badly. Or don't buy the Model 3 at all.

Care to share what your specific credentials are in IT? I'm ready to make a fool out of you there as well.

The charger capacity given the car's pack size is perfectly adequate. I routinely charge my 100D on 40A even though I have 70A available on the other side of the garage. It is entirely adequate 99.9% of the time.

I avail myself of the higher capacity charger about once a year. And even then I could do without it.

Reactions: MXWing
I think 32A will be OK for most people. It can be annoying if the Tesla is your only vehicle, and somehow you need to charge in a hurry. That being said, Tesla is a business, and will cut manufacturing costs even if it inconveniences consumers. Most consumers aren't savvy enough to know the difference between a 32A and 50A charger.

Hopefully M3 will up the ante on supercharging. Even at 113kW that I can rarely achieve as a maximum, it can still be painfully too slow compared to filling up a gas tank.

Maybe not, but here's my current situation (see what I did there?):
  • I live in a very small town up on a bluff, along the Columbia River Gorge (meaning, NOT California)
  • Typical trip is into Portland once or twice a week - 140 miles roundtrip.
  • Nearest supercharger is 20 miles away, in the opposite direction of where I usually head.
  • I have an X and right now, am in a rental house (moving shortly). The only charging that has been available to me since January has been a TT-30 outlet, coupled with an adapter. That's 120V, 30amp. 9mph on a good day.
  • And that is enough. I do know there is a CHAdeMO across the river (about 4 miles away) and also a Destination Charger about 20 m away.
  • I have yet to use those options. (Now let's talk about Roadster roadtrips! :) )
My only point is that there are options, California or not.
Definitely options -- I was referring to the concept of just charging enough at home to be able to reach a Supercharger. My nearest SC in Texas requires a 75% charge to reach it. Most of the country does not have one just down the road in any direction you want to go -- yet.

There's a $200 difference between a 32AMP and a 48AMP charger sold by clipper creek.

Even if it were $20 so what? You can buy the longer range version if you want it so badly. Or don't buy the Model 3 at all.

Care to share what your specific credentials are in IT? I'm ready to make a fool out of you there as well.

I feel that Tesla is in effect punishing people who get the small battery by giving them only a 32 amp charger. They got the small battery, so that means they will never have a situation where they need to stop at home, charge up 50 miles, and go somewhere else very soon?

I don't want to get this subject off track by going into my IT history, but just for you MXWing....

I've had 6 years in IT support, progressing from desktop support to senior desktop support. Lots of contract assignments in different companies. I completed my CCNA Routing & Switching certification last September ( I took the 2 test ICND1 + ICND2 route), and if I ever get around to finishing it, I will have CCNA Data Center as well. I currently work as a data center tech, in what is considered a "longer term contract assignment", and our company just bought the NLyte DCIM program, and the manager has me training on that, in addition to the daily data center duties. I may eventually study for CCNP level certs, but I think I need more real world experience first.

I'm not a programmer, I'm not a Linux guru, I'm not a Sys Admin. Ever since I started doing IT work for companies, I'd talk to the network engineers and other IT staff whenever I could, and I am going towards a networking / data center IT career track.

Is that at least reasonable progress?

• Disagree
Reactions: diesel
I'll hazard a guess that the great majority of Model 3 owners will install a 14-50 outlet and use the UMC instead of buying a dedicated EVSE.
And as for hobbling the Model 3 at 32 A, that seems to be a fairly common actual throughput for US homes.

OP is over-reacting. Again

Reactions: S'toon
I feel that Tesla is in effect punishing people who get the small battery by giving them only a 32 amp charger. They got the small battery, so that means they will never have a situation where they need to stop at home, charge up 50 miles, and go somewhere else very soon?

I don't want to get this subject off track by going into my IT history, but just for you MXWing....

I've had 6 years in IT support, progressing from desktop support to senior desktop support. Lots of contract assignments in different companies. I completed my CCNA Routing & Switching certification last September ( I took the 2 test ICND1 + ICND2 route), and if I ever get around to finishing it, I will have CCNA Data Center as well. I currently work as a data center tech, in what is considered a "longer term contract assignment", and our company just bought the NLyte DCIM program, and the manager has me training on that, in addition to the daily data center duties. I may eventually study for CCNP level certs, but I think I need more real world experience first.

I'm not a programmer, I'm not a Linux guru, I'm not a Sys Admin. Ever since I started doing IT work for companies, I'd talk to the network engineers and other IT staff whenever I could, and I am going towards a networking / data center IT career track.

Is that at least reasonable progress?
I'm sorry. How is that supposed to make you a qualified electro-mechanical engineer to design electric cars?

Last edited: