Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Strictly Rumor- the service centre is 15 mins North of the CBD in Sydney. That puts it at Artarmon. Searches I have done indicate a property development at 75 Carlotta street that would fit the bill, right next door to Carroll's automotive, opposite Honda, and just off the Pacific highway. Maybe 50 m off the highway. Basically the location is almost ideal for a supercharger for those coming in from the North. The property is approved for new car sales and hire ( was an auto body shop). Bad news is, some construction work has to happen there and the approval only went through a few days ago, less than a week. The DA is NOT in Teslas name. The signage DA was not available. No construction DA was found but I wonder if one is actually necessary before they start work. No work has commenced on site yet ( I looked). My experience of construction, having built 3 houses, is that there is at least a month of work to get it ready. I will be doing more research into this. My first sentence is correct. The rest is my own work.

Last edited:
Strictly Rumor- the service centre is 15 mins North of the CBD in Sydney. That puts it at Artarmon. Searches I have done indicate a property development at 75 Carlotta street that would fit the bill, right next door to Carroll's automotive, opposite Honda, and just off the Pacific highway. Maybe 50 m off the highway. Basically the location is almost ideal for a supercharger for those coming in from the North. The property is approved for new car sales and hire ( was an auto body shop). Bad news is, some construction work has to happen there and the approval only went through a few days ago, less than a week. The DA is NOT in Teslas name. The signage DA was not available. No construction DA was found but I wonder if one is actually necessary before they start work. No work has commenced on site yet ( I looked). My experience of construction, having built 3 houses, is that there is at least a month of work to get it ready. I will be doing more research into this. My first sentence is correct. The rest is my own work.

Could be a good spot from visibility point of view for prospective purchasers? There are showrooms and/or service centres for many other brands of car in that area.

By any chance could the location you refer to in the rumour be on Frederick Street Artarmon? A search for Tesla jobs in Artarmon shows up the location of the recently advertised ones to be APAC-AU-NSW-Artarmon_Fredrick St.

There used to be a Skoda showroom/workshop on the corner of Frederick Street and Herbert Street that would be plenty big enough and google street view shows the site to be vacated (photo date November 2013).

Last edited:
No, the DA i found was Carlotta street. Not bad visibility but not on the highway. As i said the only fact i have is 15 mins North of the CBD. So the site you mention could equally be the one, but i did not find a DA for that site. Could be North Sydney council, so i will do further searches.
There are no DA's in North Sydney council going back to June for either Herbert street or Frederick street.
Thinking further about this, if the premises were a car dealership and service centre, no DA would be required. I will check out the site. I live generally in the vicinity. Of course Frederick street is in St Leonard's, not Artarmon. Frankly, I would prefer a site that does not require construction. The Carlotta st site has better visibility and accessibility though, especially if a supercharger was to be installed there.

Last edited:
I get my current car serviced in Artarmon and that would be a great spot for a SC and or Superchargers.
There is an Artarmon Loop Bus that takes you back to St Leonard's Station then it's 20 minutes to the CBD.
Works really well. Runs every 10 minutes until about 6 PM.
Out of Towners can make a day of it by dropping off their Tesla for service then head into the CBD, North Sydney or Chatswood for a day of shopping.

Not sure how many owners are from the eastern suburbs, but McLachlan Avenue, Rushcutters Bay would be ideal. Lexus has just moved out of their near new premises, which consists of a showroom, service facilities and off street parking ideal for a supercharger. It is also directly opposite BWM and Mercedes Benz. There is also a large car showroom being developed facing South Head Road.

Checked out both the addresses quoted above. There is NO movement at either of them. Frederick street/Herbert is a brand new development, beautiful premises, good exposure but far far away from being a service centre and is more of a LARGE showroom.
Carlotta, no movement at all. No workmen etc. Mind you, the DA was only approved on the 23rd September, so they still have to submit building drawings for approval. I sincerely hope that neither of these properties is the actual address, otherwise we will not see our cars this year!!
**I think an update from the company is seriously overdue, especially since our constructed cars are ageing, and are already partly obsolete prior to taking delivery, especially with the new sensors and steering columns being installed in the States.**:confused::cursing:

I think they need to deliver the cars this year. The stock market is looking for that. Frankly, I can't see why a temporary ranger service would not allow them to get going. Many places in the States are 3 hours plus from the nearest service centre and are covered by Rangers.

Corporate and or Stone really need to come clean with us.

Sorry to be controversial, but I think we all need to calm down a bit to be honest. Even though I admire the investigative work you're doing Dborn you have no confirmation that those sites have anything to do with Tesla.

I still think we will have first cars delivered in November, if not earlier.

Tesla is like any other company, they just have a special product.

I think the reason they are down on the communication is: 1. they are madly rushing around doing other things, 2. every time they try and give some indication of delivery, if they can't meet it, they look even worse, 3. everything Tesla does is amplified at the moment, which means if they miss a delivery target, the market reacts worse than it would if it were any other manufacturer or brand.

We all know that regardless of how late these cars are (relative to what they promised at the start of the year), it's not going to stop people from buying them in future. Look at China for example. Tesla knows that as well, which is why they're not rushing it and making sure everything is put in place before launch. As I've said before, how bad would it be if "Tesla cannot service first Australian cars" was the headline for 2 weeks after launch? It would kill the market.

I share the same frustrations, but I think we should hold off on voicing our concerns until November. Don't worry, if we don't see the first cars being delivered in November, I'll join you guys on the picket line!

absolutely correct - the two sites i have investigated are purely supposition, but based on the fact of "15mins North of the CBD, across the bridge". The only two suburbs that would fit that description is North Sydney and Artarmon, and are the only ones with substantial motor vehicle infrastructure in the area, particularly Artarmon. I have exhausted official investigative channels open to the general public. There are of course probably other properties that would fit the bill, that already have past development consent, that would therefore not require such consent. I may very well be wide of the mark. However, to stop myself going crazy after 3.5 years, and with a car completed on the 20th August and being "prepared for pickup or delivery" as at this time, with no one telling me where my car is or when i am likely to see it, this investigation is the best i can do to keep myself busy. Jerome's "not before October at the earliest" has obviously come true, but can mean anything, including no cars til next year. That really isn't good enough!! They must surely be able to nail it down to a particular month at this stage.

It is also totally unfair to put up a message on the dashboard, that in the USA means delivery of the vehicle is imminent, i.e. within days, and then impose further total radio silence. This is "treating our customers fairly"? The current situation is souring and spoiling what should be an anticipatory and exciting time. To say that once you get the car, all this will be forgotten, is also no excuse or consolation.