Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that you are going to be able to do a good deal on some fully equipped Signature cars that were built slightly too early and delivered to Australia in September, but have been in storage since, and are therefore slated to be demonstrators/loaner vehicles. Those early built cars (maybe around 30 of them) were rebuilt for some of us early adopters. They will be missing the very latest features, but be very good vehicles nevertheless. However, they will be discounted, i have no doubt. Be ready to jump in. CTP greenslip is no more expensive than any other car in NSW and insurance is around the 1200 mark. (if you shop around).

Well, just received my proforma invoice!!! Posted to "my documents" in "my Tesla". They send an email advising you that the invoice is there. Getting very real, folks! Mind you, my car is still "in Transit".
Great news!
Today I got my registration authority papers - but no invoice yet.

- - - Updated - - -

I have not seen a tesla before in Australia but I bet it so expensive when you insure it for Greenslips and other car insurance

Not really - less than my old Porsche or my wife's BMW

Well, just received my proforma invoice!!! Posted to "my documents" in "my Tesla". They send an email advising you that the invoice is there. Getting very real, folks! Mind you, my car is still "in Transit".

Same here Dborn. Payment will happen tomorrow. Have been guaranteed delivery few days after launch (takes a day or two to get to the Sunshine Coast). My wife is booked for planned C Section on Monday night for our 2nd child (boy). I may have to bring them home in a tesla.
Good work Dborn, you deserve to get it on the first day.

I borrowed a 15ish year old ute from a mate today to pick up some bamboo flooring (we're doing renovations at the moment) and felt like I'd gone back in time! The clunky manual transmission had me thinking how much of a contrast it is to drive an EV. By the time my kids are old enough to learn to drive, Tesla will have a supercharger network at least spanning the east coast cities, which is where we do most of our holiday travels. My kids may never learn how to drive a manual.

Some people talk about the satisfaction of getting a gear change just right in a manual or the smell of exhaust at a race track or the sound of a big V8 engine and how an EV doesn't have those things. I understand where they're coming from, but to me, this is a positive, not a negative. To me, it's like someone saying that they love getting a saddle on a horse just right. I don't mind not having that skill (no offence to horse owners!).

The Model 3 should hopefully be out in Australia by the time my daughter is getting her license. She may never have to drive an ICE or learn how to use a manual transmission. It all just struck me today that this is actually a possible future thanks to Tesla coming to Australia. I'm excited by the possibilities!

P.S. Sorry for the long-winded post, but I had heaps of time for contemplation during the long drive to pick up the bamboo flooring.

P.P.S. Look forward to seeing everyone next Tuesday! :biggrin:

Last edited:
FYI I am a SIG holder and hopefully my car will arrive the day after the launch subject to any transport issues.

For Victorians who elect to do there own registration:

* You need to book - at this stage they are booked until Wednesday at East Burwood (I have optimistically booked for next Thur at 2:00)
* The will ask for an engine number. Apparently this is available from Tesla but you can book a NEW vehicle inspection without such an engine number. I assume that I will need one when I register.

I am getting my existing mechanic to issue the RWC - he has been asking to see the Tesla when it arrives so he was very willing.

Cheers
Higgy

FYI I am a SIG holder and hopefully my car will arrive the day after the launch subject to any transport issues.

For Victorians who elect to do there own registration:

* You need to book - at this stage they are booked until Wednesday at East Burwood (I have optimistically booked for next Thur at 2:00)
* The will ask for an engine number. Apparently this is available from Tesla but you can book a NEW vehicle inspection without such an engine number. I assume that I will need one when I register.

I am getting my existing mechanic to issue the RWC - he has been asking to see the Tesla when it arrives so he was very willing.

Cheers
Higgy

Tell us how will that go.. I'm curious if he 'checks' with the same parameters as a regular ICE vehicle

Tesla was featured tonight on the ABC TV show The Business
It was largely complimentary except for some reason they interviewed a guy from IIRC Swinburne Uni who went on about the threat from established manufacturers. Considering Tesla has to give away their patents even to get some interest in electric vehicles I think the threat is overstated.
Oh and apparently as a Tesla purchaser I must be an Internet millionaire with deep pockets!
Now where did I put those millions - - - - - :wink:

Last edited:
I think that you are going to be able to do a good deal on some fully equipped Signature cars that were built slightly too early and delivered to Australia in September, but have been in storage since, and are therefore slated to be demonstrators/loaner vehicles. Those early built cars (maybe around 30 of them) were rebuilt for some of us early adopters.

OK now you're talking. With a good deal I may actually be able to afford one.

I borrowed a 15ish year old ute from a mate today to pick up some bamboo flooring (we're doing renovations at the moment) and felt like I'd gone back in time! The clunky manual transmission had me thinking how much of a contrast it is to drive an EV. By the time my kids are old enough to learn to drive, Tesla will have a supercharger network at least spanning the east coast cities, which is where we do most of our holiday travels. My kids may never learn how to drive a manual.

Some people talk about the satisfaction of getting a gear change just right in a manual or the smell of exhaust at a race track or the sound of a big V8 engine and how an EV doesn't have those things. I understand where they're coming from, but to me, this is a positive, not a negative. To me, it's like someone saying that they love getting a saddle on a horse just right. I don't mind not having that skill (no offence to horse owners!).

The Model 3 should hopefully be out in Australia by the time my daughter is getting her license. She may never have to drive an ICE or learn how to use a manual transmission. It all just struck me today that this is actually a possible future thanks to Tesla coming to Australia. I'm excited by the possibilities!

P.S. Sorry for the long-winded post, but I had heaps of time for contemplation during the long drive to pick up the bamboo flooring.

P.P.S. Look forward to seeing everyone next Tuesday! :biggrin:

This is a interesting post. Studies across Europe and the states has found that when one brings a EV home, within short order the ICE is relegated to the dump bin. Luckily and not through the good grace of Australian consumers we now have some excellent EV options at silly prices. The First EV the i-miev can now be had for $16K, 50c to charge, small, light, 1/2 the range with similar safety features as a Tesla (no autopilot :() a perfect town car at 10% of the price. The Leaf is starting to come off leases now and one would expect they to be in the low $20's, the BMW i3 is sure to be available at significant discounts given the poor sales to date. The point is that even without Tesla there are excellent EV options available as in the case of the i-miev. After slipping onto a $16k i-miev immediately after "delaying" our Tesla I can attest 100% that Electric vehicles regardless of the brand are incredible pieces of technology and the natural mode of transport. You all are going to love the EV experience enjoy the launch.

This is a interesting post. Studies across Europe and the states has found that when one brings a EV home, within short order the ICE is relegated to the dump bin. Luckily and not through the good grace of Australian consumers we now have some excellent EV options at silly prices. The First EV the i-miev can now be had for $16K, 50c to charge, small, light, 1/2 the range with similar safety features as a Tesla (no autopilot :() a perfect town car at 10% of the price. The Leaf is starting to come off leases now and one would expect they to be in the low $20's, the BMW i3 is sure to be available at significant discounts given the poor sales to date. The point is that even without Tesla there are excellent EV options available as in the case of the i-miev. After slipping onto a $16k i-miev immediately after "delaying" our Tesla I can attest 100% that Electric vehicles regardless of the brand are incredible pieces of technology and the natural mode of transport. You all are going to love the EV experience enjoy the launch.

I completely agree with you.

However, the Tesla does one important thing that the i-Miev, Leaf, Volt and even i3 does not do though: it sets hearts racing. That may sound vapid, but the reality is that you need a "halo" car that will change hearts and minds at the top end of town - ie the people who have the power to make decisions that can lead to real change. I believe the Model S will be able to change the minds of CEOs, Government executives and politicians in Australia about the future of automotive transport. We're all just people after all, and once we're amazed by something, it sticks in our minds.

I think the i-Miev and Leaf are great cars, but are often (wrongly) written off as "leftie" or "greenie" cars. Whereas the Model S is the first REAL car that just happens to be electric and freaking fast. I'm so thankful that Tesla made a car that looked more like a Jag than a spaceship - because it encourages mass interest in EVs, rather than - oh look another prototype looking car that's impractical. Perceptions are everything.

But the interest in the Model S will definitely lead to a follow on effect for the other EV models like the i-Miev and Leaf, as well as plug in hybrids like the Audi e-Tron, Volt and hopefully eventually the e-Golf, future BMW mainstream plug ins etc. We'll see a transformation earlier than anyone thought possible.

(Of course, I'm biased so take what I say with a grain of salt :))

Something I never thought i would see Porsche had a advertisement in the AFR today of their e-hybrids. Canyenne S, Panamera S and 918 Spyder. they make teslas prices look reasonable with Canyenne starting at $150k Panamera at $307k and 918 is a if you have to ask you can't afford it.

Tesla will lift the profile of EVs, and Nissan, bmw and Mitsubishi will all benefit from profile lift.