Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla increases Model S and X Supercharging rate to 225 kW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems Arizona is doing well with V3 - more of them % wise than any other state at the moment it appears? I'm looking forward to charging at 225 in my Model X though... I thought it was already capable... hmm... wonder if this will help keep higher rates on V2s?
ND has AZ beat on percentage of Superchargers which are v3. Currently, they are 100% v3. ;)

Took my 2017 S100D from Santa Barbara to Halifax a month after I bought it. Only range anxiety was from Rivière Du Loup to Halifax, about 500 miles. No SC. Had to resort to an overnight destination charger. The rest of the 10,000 mile trip was filled with plenty of superchargers. Well, mostly. And I was fine with 40-50 min charges.... just enough time for breakfast or lunch or dinner.... now it is substantially less to charge and I get it, that helps with throughput... but alas, I prefer the old days .... of 3 years ago... ha

Reactions: totoro722
upload_2020-6-24_19-45-25.jpeg

Side question... anyone worked out which superchargers going for “250+”? V3 output increase? They already done that in Europe with most V2 (130>150kW).

Elon mentioned “more on this later” but nothing came of it... so far.

Surely the Superchargers would keep up with the vehicles and not rely on 3rd parties..

Reactions: OPRCE
I have had several updates since last fall when hours into driving supercharging was painfully slow at high 20s for temps.
I figured my 2014 P85 97k was hit with chargegate and maybe it was and an update changed it but last week I ran it down on a hot day and took it to Oshkosh which is V2.
Initial spike was 128kw so I grabbed my phone for a pic and got this.
IMG_20200617_161254524_HDR.jpg

AtIAt 62% it wastwas downtdown to 44%. I thought taper seemed fast but 55minutes for 5-90% seemed to be what it used to be.
Still I lost 14miles in less than half the miles it took to lose the first 8 so I still feel a little cheated but at least I know I can summer road trip with the family. Winter, no way if it is slow as it was last fall. Maybe my pack is boarder line and an update returned it to old rates? Let you know in 5 months when I can check speed at 25f again.

• Informative
Reactions: rafacq
All Tesla battery packs have 96 “rows” of cells where all the cells in a row are connected in parallel with the rows connected in series. Each row of cells is charged at 4.2 volts. 96 rows therefore are charged at 403.2 volts (96x4.2). The only variable available is the charging current per cell as all cells in a pack are charged at the same current. The 18650 cells were limited by Tesla to a maximum of 4 amps per cell. This was for two reasons: To limit the heat generated in the cells by the charging current and to limit cell degradation. I’ll spare you the details. The 85/90 pack has 74 cells per row. 74x 4 x 96 x 4.2 ~ 120 kw, the limit on power for V1 Superchargers.
The 2170 cells were initially limited to 6 amps per cell because the larger cell cross-section gave the cells 2/3 the resistance of the 18650s for the same amount of heat despite the higher current. But I believe that the Model 3 LR battery pack has a more capable cooling system than the 85/90 packs. Possibly also true of the 100 pack.

This enables them to raise the peak charging current per cell for the 2170 packs for maybe 15 minutes per before tapering off. The maximum power that can be applied was therefore increased in proportion to the higher current, maybe 150 kw. It may be that the 100 pack has a cooling system that can also be tweaked. If so, that pack with a software update may tolerate higher max charging current/power, shortening charging time for that pack.

If you think of an 85/90 pack as 7104 resistors of .015 ohms dissipating 4 amps each, the total peak power dissipated is 16 x .015 x 7104 = 1700 watts or the equivalent of about 17 100 watt light bulbs, a lot of heat to get rid of.

Kind of a moot point for a most of us. Tesla only seems to want to place V3 chargers on the east and west coast... there are a very few exceptions, but I have never seen one V3 bank traveling extensively throughout the mid and southwest US. So to advertise this as a feature is a bit mis-leading - they should put an * on that statement because if you never get to use a feature then it is not a feature. And they should make clear that the majority of all new charger installs are still V2, certainly in the midwest.

In Tesla's defense I get it that the V3 chargers reduce wait time and lines in high demand areas, and in all honesty I've never seen wait Iines to charge except once when four chargers were down in Waco. I find it a bit of an empty promise still...

I am also curious to know at what point V3 begins to taper the charge amps down, and are you under 50kW when you hit 80%?

Are V3 actually faster if you need a 95 to 100% charge to reach destination?

there’s a new V3 charger in Nashville TN

• Informative
Reactions: rafacq
Model S forum there should be a classic section.

Yes, I have thought the same thing, though from the other perspective. But either way, it feels like there is an increasing disparity between newer and older S-Owners (to be expected) as the dicussions focus is often quite different.

I enjoy both, but being able to dip into one or the other would sometimes be preferable imo.

Kind of a moot point for a most of us. Tesla only seems to want to place V3 chargers on the east and west coast... there are a very few exceptions, but I have never seen one V3 bank traveling extensively throughout the mid and southwest US. So to advertise this as a feature is a bit mis-leading - they should put an * on that statement because if you never get to use a feature then it is not a feature. And they should make clear that the majority of all new charger installs are still V2, certainly in the midwest.

In Tesla's defense I get it that the V3 chargers reduce wait time and lines in high demand areas, and in all honesty I've never seen wait Iines to charge except once when four chargers were down in Waco. I find it a bit of an empty promise still...

I am also curious to know at what point V3 begins to taper the charge amps down, and are you under 50kW when you hit 80%?

Are V3 actually faster if you need a 95 to 100% charge to reach destination?
Emporia Kansas now has a V3!

The original article mentions that this is limited to only newer MX/MS. As a 2019 Raven owner, I'm very much wondering when exact the cutoff is. :) TeslaFi only shows M3 and MY getting the latest update. Has anyone with a MX/MS got this, and if so, what is your manufacturing date?

The original article mentions that this is limited to only newer MX/MS. As a 2019 Raven owner, I'm very much wondering when exact the cutoff is. :) TeslaFi only shows M3 and MY getting the latest update. Has anyone with a MX/MS got this, and if so, what is your manufacturing date?

We only know that the increase applies to vehicles with pack id 93. But we don't know what cars have pack id 93 in them. Nobody has reported getting the notification in their car yet. We might get more information soon as 20.24.6.1 starts to get installed on Raven S&X vehicles. (It has only started to get pushed out widely in the last few hours.)

Last edited:
All Tesla battery packs have 96 “rows” of cells where all the cells in a row are connected in parallel with the rows connected in series. Each row of cells is charged at 4.2 volts. 96 rows therefore are charged at 403.2 volts (96x4.2). The only variable available is the charging current per cell as all cells in a pack are charged at the same current. The 18650 cells were limited by Tesla to a maximum of 4 amps per cell. This was for two reasons: To limit the heat generated in the cells by the charging current and to limit cell degradation. I’ll spare you the details. The 85/90 pack has 74 cells per row. 74x 4 x 96 x 4.2 ~ 120 kw, the limit on power for V1 Superchargers.
The 2170 cells were initially limited to 6 amps per cell because the larger cell cross-section gave the cells 2/3 the resistance of the 18650s for the same amount of heat despite the higher current. But I believe that the Model 3 LR battery pack has a more capable cooling system than the 85/90 packs. Possibly also true of the 100 pack.

This enables them to raise the peak charging current per cell for the 2170 packs for maybe 15 minutes per before tapering off. The maximum power that can be applied was therefore increased in proportion to the higher current, maybe 150 kw. It may be that the 100 pack has a cooling system that can also be tweaked. If so, that pack with a software update may tolerate higher max charging current/power, shortening charging time for that pack.

If you think of an 85/90 pack as 7104 resistors of .015 ohms dissipating 4 amps each, the total peak power dissipated is 16 x .015 x 7104 = 1700 watts or the equivalent of about 17 100 watt light bulbs, a lot of heat to get rid of.

Pretty good explanation.

You do need to be careful with exclusionary statements like “all,” though. The big batteries have always been 96 cells in series, as sixteen modules in the S/X, each of six cell groups.

But small battery S/X only had 14 modules and thus 84 cells in series. The original S60 used unique modules with fewer cells in each module; all the others since use the same modules as the big batteries.

I think every current new production Tesla is indeed 96 cell, unlike the past.

Good points. I think it would be interesting/exciting to hear that they had decreased overall charge time @ V1/V2/V3 chargers vs just peak rate on V3. If the peak is only for a minute, who really cares.
I did some Model 3 LR AWD testing recently here in Connecticut, where we now have many new V3 Superchargers. Charging from 20% to 80% took 25 min for V3 and 28 min for V2. The video I’m working on shows the charge curves.

• Informative
Reactions: OPRCE