Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nah, chances are slim that he still has his original GSM board. Different board, different phone number, different IP. I'm sure he doesn't allow them to look around or make changes anyway, and his car may even look asleep/non-existent to them.

We don't need them. Good thing too because they don't want us. They drove us to rooting and taking control of our own cars.

If MCU isn't linked with AP hardware then why aren't MCU1/AP2.5 cars getting hW3 yet while MCU2 are? Something doesn't add up. You would think the earlier fsd supporters should be the first to get the upgrades.

Not to bust your bubble, but us AP 2.0 folks were first in line, about eight months and 60k units ahead of you 2.5 folks.

Not to bust your bubble, but us AP 2.0 folks were first in line, about eight months and 60k units ahead of you 2.5 folks.

Lol, definitely feel for AP2.0 owners. Don't think FSD is possible without some serious hardware and camera upgrades. Sentry mode dashcam doesn't even work. I have a feeling that Tesla will just keep delaying updates on older hardware until majority of them are off the streets and owners have moved on. Wear and tear will continue as people to use their cars and these old FSD cars will be such a small number that Tesla will just shove them under the rug to be forgotten and focus on Y/3.

If MCU isn't linked with AP hardware then why aren't MCU1/AP2.5 cars getting hW3 yet while MCU2 are? Something doesn't add up. You would think the earlier fsd supporters should be the first to get the upgrades.

You are looking for logic in a company run by a man who has never truly experienced consequences for his actions. In fact, those actions have made, and continue to make, him filthy f*cking rich. Who cares if ~60k people are upset? Until we hold his feet to the fire with more than just angry forum posts, his reaction will continue to be “f*ck you, got mine”.

And as an AP2.0 person who purchased FSD at the same time I purchased my car, I can’t truly say I blame him. It’s unethical of him, but you don’t have to look very far to see “angry” AP2.0 users say they’re going to get rid of their car... and buy another Tesla. Good job guys, that’ll teach him not to screw with us!! :rolleyes:

It is mind boggling, why no one filed a class action on this yet. Will be interesting to see, what restitution people get for the money they paid.
True FSD is still years away. Saw this reddit thread on Tesla FSD experience today.
www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/en4nbb/my_experience_for_anyone_thinking_of_purchasing/
I think its mind boggling that people thought full self driving was right around the corner in 2016.

AP 2.0 owners were sooo happy they weren't stuck with 1.0 and the forums were loud with how FSD would release by the end of 2017, err 2018 spring...summer...WINTER?...

SURELY spring of 2019...so on...and so on.

You guys took a chance with it like everyone else.

I think its mind boggling that people thought full self driving was right around the corner in 2016.

AP 2.0 owners were sooo happy they weren't stuck with 1.0 and the forums were loud with how FSD would release by the end of 2017, err 2018 spring...summer...WINTER?...

But surely by the 2020 summer now!

it is mind boggling that Tesla keeps on lying.
And still is lying. Blame the sender not the receiver.

You are looking for logic in a company run by a man who has never truly experienced consequences for his actions. In fact, those actions have made, and continue to make, him filthy f*cking rich. Who cares if ~60k people are upset? Until we hold his feet to the fire with more than just angry forum posts, his reaction will continue to be “f*ck you, got mine”.
Wow. You have no idea what he's done.

It is a problem. But I don't think it is with lying or intent. As soon as a solution is on the horizon, corner cases keep coming up which could cost lives. You have to understand the implications of doing a release, and then ppl dying. It would kill FSD for at least a decade. You have no idea how difficult this is, what they are trying to do with only cameras.

Oh, granted, I am MCU1 and didn't pay for FSD. And I do believe that he has taken on too much, with Semi, Boring, SpaceX and so on. It's an unbelievably fine line he's walking but what he's done is astounding if you can't see. So if you're that unhappy, don't stew and just sell your car, or take legal action already. Don't be a coward.

...AP2.0 owners were sooo happy they weren't stuck with 1.0 and the forums were loud with how FSD would release by the end of 2017, err 2018...spring...summer...WINTER?...SURELY spring of 2019...so on...and so on...

See the Stockdale Paradox. Not that waiting for FSD is comparable to being a prisoner of war but the parallel is interesting...

Who didn't make it out?"
"Oh, that's easy," he said. "The optimists."
"The optimists? I don't understand," I said, now completely confused,
given what he'd said a hundred meters earlier.
"The optimists. Oh, they were the ones who said, 'We're going to be out by
Christmas.' And Christmas would come, and Christmas would go. Then
they'd say,'We're going to be out by Easter.' And Easter would come, and
Easter would go. And then Thanksgiving, and then it would be Christmas
again. And they died of a broken heart."

• Helpful
  • Love
Reactions: croman and Axtrader
It is mind boggling, why no one filed a class action on this yet. Will be interesting to see, what restitution people get for the money they paid.

I don't know why people think that is a solution. Take money from one corporation and give it another corporation of lawyers. And every one who signed it gets a few hundred bucks.

Setting Tesla back tens of millions of dollars isn't going to speed the process up any.

See the Stockdale Paradox. Not that waiting for FSD is comparable to being a prisoner of war but the parallel is interesting...

Who didn't make it out?"

Who didn't make it out?"

As a retired Navy guy who instructed at the Stockdale SERE school building at North Island CA, I can’t agree with you more. I have 3 Tesla’s and 2 of them are MCU1 AP2.5 with FSD and I will not wait around to be an optimist.

Wow. You have no idea what he's done.

It is a problem. But I don't think it is with lying or intent. As soon as a solution is on the horizon, corner cases keep coming up which could cost lives. You have to understand the implications of doing a release, and then ppl dying. It would kill FSD for at least a decade. You have no idea how difficult this is, what they are trying to do with only cameras.

Oh, granted, I am MCU1 and didn't pay for FSD. And I do believe that he has taken on too much, with Semi, Boring, SpaceX and so on. It's an unbelievably fine line he's walking but what he's done is astounding if you can't see. So if you're that unhappy, don't stew and just sell your car, or take legal action already. Don't be a coward.

Of course I understand how difficult it is. I didn’t force Elon to sell a feature that doesn’t exist for the past 4 years, however. He did that himself. He’s had plenty of time to scale back his promises (which he finally did years later, to his small bit of credit) and offer a solution to those of us that have roughly zero chance of having what we purchased actually delivered to us, and he has only doubled down on his absurd claims of level 5 autonomy being right around the corner.

He has a well documented history of promising, and taking money for, the world and then delivering a tiny fraction of what he promised. If you and everyone else wants to give him a pass on that, that’s fine by me. I think it’s stupid to do so, but that’s not my prerogative.

I’ll take my disagrees and be done with this thread now.

Nah, chances are slim that he still has his original GSM board. Different board, different phone number, different IP. I'm sure he doesn't allow them to look around or make changes anyway, and his car may even look asleep/non-existent to them.

We don't need them. Good thing too because they don't want us. They drove us to rooting and taking control of our own cars.

This is where I’m at.

Mit’s increasingly obvious that if this gets done, the timeline will be unacceptable. But more likely, it won’t be done.

So I’ve started looking at rooting my car.

I resolve the MCU issue today, I gain tethered WIFI, and a ton of other options that otherwise don’t exist for me, some for good reasons, some for not good reasons.

Looks like I found the solution, and just like when the problem was NT4, the solution is Linux. That’s cool too.