Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are going around the moon. Nobody going to Mars for at least 6 years. Orbits only line up every two years and Starship will be behind schedule, as is normal for the extremely aggressive schedules Musk makes.

But this is very off topic...

Reactions: selfbp
You would think the earlier fsd supporters should be the first to get the upgrades.
given they want to do relatively heavy 3D graphics on IC to show the "preview" features, and they don't have any actual substance just the eye candy, makes perfect sense to only update the cars that could show the aforementioned eye candy.

What should I do?

Here's my situation. Took delivery of a CPO (back then, it was still CPO) 2013 (pre-AP) Model S 60 in September of 2016 with 4 years of warranty.

My MCU is still working with occasional glitches. Maybe once a week there's a major enough glitch that it either spontaneously restarts or I have to force restart.

It's still 3G, which is fairly slow but works well enough for music/podcast streaming. If I have a lot of patience, I can sometimes even get websites to load in the browser.

My warranty expires in September.
  • Do I just hope for a eMMC failure before then?
  • Is it helpful to have the SC log minor glitches so there's a record of failures while under warranty?
  • What about the cellular connection -- carriers are deprecating 3G; if Tesla doesn't upgrade the connection to LTE, won't they lose the ability to push OTA upgrades to me?

What should I do?
Here's my situation. Took delivery of a CPO (back then, it was still CPO) 2013 (pre-AP) Model S 60 in September of 2016 with 4 years of warranty.
My MCU is still working with occasional glitches. Maybe once a week there's a major enough glitch that it either spontaneously restarts or I have to force restart.
It's still 3G, which is fairly slow but works well enough for music/podcast streaming. If I have a lot of patience, I can sometimes even get websites to load in the browser.
My warranty expires in September.
  • Do I just hope for a eMMC failure before then?
  • Is it helpful to have the SC log minor glitches so there's a record of failures while under warranty?
  • What about the cellular connection -- carriers are deprecating 3G; if Tesla doesn't upgrade the connection to LTE, won't they lose the ability to push OTA upgrades to me?
I would *definitely* take it to the SC and get your concerns *documented* with an appt. The spontaneous restarts and whatever slowness/glitches that are happening. Let them know you are very concerned about the well documented eMMC failures. REASON: because even if they don't want to replace it (MCU/eMMC) now that if it completely fails in Oct you can document that it was happening while still under warranty.

What should I do?
...MCU is still working with occasional glitches...carriers are deprecating 3G

Do : Drive the car and enjoy it.
Purchase LTE to Wifi (aka Mifi) device and keep in the car if you dislike the Tesla 3g speed.
Save up a few $$ for MCU1 swap at Tesla, or perhaps 3rd party flash swap out depending on the issue (flash worn out or MCU1 itself failing).

• Helpful
Reactions: flipb
The v1 IC and MCU are perfectly capable of displaying the 3d objects. The assets have been the for a little bit now. It would be laggy though like everything else is on the MCU1/IC combo...
well, I am not so sure about it I mean sure there's certain capability but perhaps it falls apart wih more than a couple of objects?

I noticed the avatar car model looks more detailed on ic2, as if there's a prerendered flat image on ic1 and actual 3d model rendered in real time on ic2.

well, I am not so sure about it I mean sure there's certain capability but perhaps it falls apart wih more than a couple of objects?

I noticed the avatar car model looks more detailed on ic2, as if there's a prerendered flat image on ic1 and actual 3d model rendered in real time on ic2.

MCU1/IC1 renders seemed much laggier too compared to MCU2/IC2. I would eyeball the frame rate as maybe half of MCU2, worse when there's more lanes and cars being shown.

Yeah, I don't doubt they are better on 2 but given that we had stop signs and lights showing on MCU/IC1 some months ago I'm pretty confident they could make a version of the visuals work. Might be crappy but....

Reactions: croman and selfbp
Yeah, I don't doubt they are better on 2 but given that we had stop signs and lights showing on MCU/IC1 some months ago I'm pretty confident they could make a version of the visuals work. Might be crappy but....
well, they did get to the eyecandy from the old way of just displaying the detections without any positioning information. What's the utility of that? Next to none. (while we are at it - why not show all other detections then?)

well, they did get to the eyecandy from the old way of just displaying the detections without any positioning information. What's the utility of that? Next to none. (while we are at it - why not show all other detections then?)
Not saying not to show positioning, IC1 does vehicle positioning just fine. It's laggy but it works. Just use 2d images if that's a limitation.

Do : Drive the car and enjoy it.
Purchase LTE to Wifi (aka Mifi) device and keep in the car if you dislike the Tesla 3g speed.
Save up a few $$ for MCU1 swap at Tesla, or perhaps 3rd party flash swap out depending on the issue (flash worn out or MCU1 itself failing).

You know, I have a pretty high data cap on mobile hotspot via my iPhone and it never once occurred to me to connect the car that way for faster streaming. Great advice, thanks!