Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, this statement led me to my car, I have been wondering for some time now why the heat is on in my S, every other car has frozen windows and the S windows are wet/defrosted and car is reporting 7c inside cabin while other cars in my parking lot are on the minus side.
And I have checked to see if scheduled departure is on, it's not.
Every day it's like this, even if I don't use the vehicle for several weeks.
SC couldn't answer me why the car is heating itself every day either...

Before you get too concerned here, the car can learn your schedule, and preheat itself for you so you always get into a nice cozy warm car. So you may just be experiencing that. Newer firmwares will load work or home driving directions automatically for you too.

If you check your app during the middle of the day. I suspect you’ll find the heat off.

Before you get too concerned here, the car can learn your schedule, and preheat itself for you so you always get into a nice cozy warm car. So you may just be experiencing that. Newer firmwares will load work or home driving directions automatically for you too.

If you check your app during the middle of the day. I suspect you’ll find the heat off.

Appreciate your answer, but no, that car has never been used on a regular basis, and never daily. I ordered it new from Tesla and got it 1 juli 2017, and it's been mostly used on weekends.
Have other cars I use weekdays...

And if I check it in the middle of the day, it's still warm, just the same as the morning.

but weird thing is that it newer shows the heater as on, only temperature that's on the higher side and windows defrosted...

-it's like the car doesn't like to live in Norway and freeze on the winters:confused:

Folks, again, can we please keep the EMMC talk to those other threads, and leave this thread to talk about the MCU1->MCU2 upgrade? that will never happen

I know they are somewhat intertwined, but that's really not what this thread is for.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
In the "with a grain of salt" section.... I had a mobile service tech out and as we talked about various aspects of the car we came around to the MCU and upgrades. Oddly enough he stated that he had done several upgrades of tegra to Intel MCUs on AP1 vehicles and that the IC didn't even need to change. He confirmed that some repinning had to happen and that they had a ground harness adapter that had to be used in some citations. He said he had not done any Model X or anything AP2.5 or higher. Apparently the long pole was getting the software updated and he said he would sit on with engineering for hours while they made these units work. So make of that what you will...

Bump that upgrade price up a bit if going through Tesla... Just got quotes for fun from my SC and the tuner is $225, the IC is $1435 and they are still "determining" if they will sell me the MCU. I know that they almost certainly won't but the service advisor was pretty adamant that he check so I figured why not.

Now this doesn't include labor or core charges but the core charges don't apply to the two components I have quotes on right now. The MCU has a core charge but that may be complicated if your returning a different MCU than your buying. Anyways, I'll update as I get the last bit of info.

As an update I was able to get them to agree to sell it out the door. $2500 plus $500 core charge, which I can't get back as they won't accept an MCU1 as the core for MCU2. I will be sourcing mine through salvage....

In the "with a grain of salt" section.... I had a mobile service tech out and as we talked about various aspects of the car we came around to the MCU and upgrades. Oddly enough he stated that he had done several upgrades of tegra to Intel MCUs on AP1 vehicles and that the IC didn't even need to change. He confirmed that some repinning had to happen and that they had a ground harness adapter that had to be used in some citations. He said he had not done any Model X or anything AP2.5 or higher. Apparently the long pole was getting the software updated and he said he would sit on with engineering for hours while they made these units work. So make of that what you will...

I wish we had actual proof of this... It's obviously possible.

I'd love to see an invoice so I can bring it to my service center and tell them to do the same thing.

Reactions: HankLloydRight

I'd love to see an invoice so I can bring it to my service center and tell them to do the same thing.
To be fair he did say these were only for failed units. So similar to what they have done for batteries. That is if you have an 85 and they don't have any then they may put a 90 in and "upgrade" it.

Even if you did it wouldn't work. I can give you the invoice for my P85 Model S that they upgraded the battery so that it ended up being a legit P90 but that won't get them to do the exact same upgrade for you. Right now it seems they only do these sorts of things when they have to. They COULD upgrade nearly anybody's battery to a higher capacity version if they so chose to. Most swaps are plug and play with some minor hardware needed depending on age and which pack your coming from/going to. But they won't do it. They COULD swap anybody's MCU, today, but they won't. Anybody who really wants this done is best going to the few who can make it happen. Right now I'd say that wk057/HSR Motors and maybe Electrified Garage are possibilities.

Even Elon pulled back from this on Twitter. When is the last time you saw that happen??

Even if you did it wouldn't work. I can give you the invoice for my P85 Model S that they upgraded the battery so that it ended up being a legit P90 but that won't get them to do the exact same upgrade for you. Right now it seems they only do these sorts of things when they have to. They COULD upgrade nearly anybody's battery to a higher capacity version if they so chose to. Most swaps are plug and play with some minor hardware needed depending on age and which pack your coming from/going to. But they won't do it. They COULD swap anybody's MCU, today, but they won't. Anybody who really wants this done is best going to the few who can make it happen. Right now I'd say that wk057/HSR Motors and maybe Electrified Garage are possibilities.

Even Elon pulled back from this on Twitter. When is the last time you saw that happen??
Why DID this work then? Tesla MCUv2 Upgrade Is Almost Plug And Play: The Trick Is Programming

What's the bigger picture here? Let's say that Tesla announces there's a path from MCU1 to MCU2. Who is not going to want that? He's said many times that they don't want to be or get in the retrofit business. How many MCU1 cars both S and X are out there? 150,000 ? Service Centers were not opened and staffed to prepare for a surge of upgrades/swaps like that. And there's the supply of MCU2's that would be required. And while they are still using the MCU2 as they build new cars. They likely could be tight lipped about the even the possibility or promise to offer this upgrade until they can secure a process to do it.

Yeah I mean certainly there is an issue of over burdening the service centers but they need to figure that out. Model Y is gonna break them if they can't take the number of customers who want to upgrade their MCU. Also this is something that mobile service can easily take care of.