Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tyson, we don't know that Tesla and EM are not working on it. You know how he does. He throws out only a hint and then stops until he's ready. I'm not a Polyanna, but I am going to give him/them breathing room to figure out how before I start a lot of complaining.

He would not build cars capable of hundreds of thousands of miles and not give us a fix for the eMMC or better.

I'm not a Polyanna, but I am going to give him/them breathing room to figure out how
-they have already figured out how to upgrade your mcu1 to mcu2, why they haven't started to offer it yet is up to debate.

He would not build cars capable of hundreds of thousands of miles and not give us a fix for the eMMC or better.
-How do you know?

As far as I know, he/they do not give you a "fix" for this, they have turned the logging down in more recent updates, but that's all...

I know that. The fact that you would say "How do you know", gives me cause to just ignore you. Thank you.
-what's the point of being rude?

However, I told you what I know they have done about the emmc, and asked you what you know by that question.
If you had any good arguments for your statement stating that they will give a fix, why don't just tell us?

Anecdotal- but 2 times it worked after I turned off live traffic. 1 time it did not. Others have tried with no luck.
It's random. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. Sometimes reboot fixes it, sometimes not. What I find interesting is that we all behave like the pigeon in the psych experiment where it's given pellets of food at random times, and then the pigeon starts doing weird things - for example if it happened to be turning when a pellet came out, the pigeon starts dancing when there is no food, because you know, the last time the bird turned food came out, so worth a try, over and over. You can see it in this thread and many others, what works for some people doesn't for others - there is no meaningful correlation, it's just software with random failures. Hopefully nobody's browser starts working when they drove it wrong way on a highway. ;)

As an update I was able to get them to agree to sell it out the door. $2500 plus $500 core charge, which I can't get back as they won't accept an MCU1 as the core for MCU2. I will be sourcing mine through salvage....

Do you or anyone have the part number for MCU2?
I have a unit i can get from a salvaged vehicle, but they cant confirm if it's MCU1 or 2

Part no: 1045006-03-E
Region: GENERIC_EU
MCU Mfg date 2/5/2018

The car its coming from is an S 100D registered 11th May 2018 with VIN 2408xx
But it's registered in Norway, so there was prob some transit time.

What are you basing that on. Do you have any info on part no for MCU2?
Internet search of the part number. I see it match 2016 & 2017 salvage cars too.

But yes, registered May 2018 in Norway would probably be built a month or two earlier.

Reactions: Tintorera
The car its coming from is an S 100D registered 11th May 2018 with VIN 2408xx
But it's registered in Norway, so there was prob some transit time.

What are you basing that on. Do you have any info on part no for MCU2?

That's MCU1.

MCU2 is 1451809-*.

Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 12.47.34 PM.png

What's the bigger picture here? Let's say that Tesla announces there's a path from MCU1 to MCU2. Who is not going to want that? He's said many times that they don't want to be or get in the retrofit business. How many MCU1 cars both S and X are out there? 150,000 ? Service Centers were not opened and staffed to prepare for a surge of upgrades/swaps like that. And there's the supply of MCU2's that would be required. And while they are still using the MCU2 as they build new cars. They likely could be tight lipped about the even the possibility or promise to offer this upgrade until they can secure a process to do it.

Allow authorized third parties to do it. Sell them the parts at inflated prices. Pricing is usually the easiest and best way to control demand. Maybe price it at $10000. That'll encourage many to replace their cars. But some will pay it.

Or let me do it myself, and charge me something for the programming. At best, it's a 5 minute ranger visit. Or less, if Tesla sells it in the app, which would consist of downloading the config to the mothership servers and placing the car into "service" mode. Then I change it out and when I install the new one, it restores the config back with the necessary upgrades.

Allow authorized third parties to do it. Sell them the parts at inflated prices. Pricing is usually the easiest and best way to control demand. Maybe price it at $10000. That'll encourage many to replace their cars. But some will pay it.

Or let me do it myself, and charge me something for the programming. At best, it's a 5 minute ranger visit. Or less, if Tesla sells it in the app, which would consist of downloading the config to the mothership servers and placing the car into "service" mode. Then I change it out and when I install the new one, it restores the config back with the necessary upgrades.
Well, they already have the inflated price model - you can trade in your MCU1 car for a MCU2 car. It might even be only $10,000 in some situations (e.g. trade in your Feb 2018 MS for April 2018 CPO MS).

Reactions: HankLloydRight
I almost did exactly that....would have been 20k to upgrade to a 100D, MCU2, black premium interior, sunroof. Wife said no. I'm kicking myself for not doing it, since it's incredibly rare to find a used MCU2 tesla with a sunroof.

On the plus side, LH said they're not going to make an amp for MCU2, so at least I can bask in my audio glory with a slow MCU.