Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Mobile service for a faulty door handle scheduled tomorrow. I texted the service rep with the picture from the infotainment page asking if I could do both on the service tomorrow and they responded saying it wasn’t available for mobile service but they us scheduled me an appointment at the Buena Park SC for June 8. I was able to change the appointment to next Tuesday. I have a Dec 2016 P100D with FSD.

Edit-the will only be doing MCU2 they said HW3 isn’t available for my VIN yet.

Edit 2- I received a text shortly after the initial response telling me it(MCU 2) WASN’T available for me and they’d be canceling my appointment. I sent them the screen shot of the text convo with the rep from Costa Mesa and the email. They responded a few minutes later saying now that I could get the upgrade and they said they would do the FSD upgrade as well. Still scheduled for next Tuesday.

Last edited:
I have Aug 2017 MS, AP2.0, MCU1, FSD.
Created an appointment through the app yesterday for Infotainment Upgrade with FSD computer upgrade. Scheduled for May 19th. Had many texts with service center today so everything is confirmed. Was told I will be the first AP2.0 upgrade at the Rocklin, CA service center. Not sure this is a good or bad thing. They have been really good in the past so I'm hopeful things will go well.

This has been my 5th attempt since early March when they announce the the infotainment service.
You know the ole adage "Curiosity killed the cat". So I am curious as to what is the sense of urgency to try 5 times in a short period to get the upgrade when any kind of long distance travel for most people is mostly non existent? Congrats on your success. I'll wait for the invitation and even then I will wait a few more weeks for the service center to work on some other cars before getting to mine. Maybe by then, then will have enough experience to do it right and not damage anything. I hate to be one of the first experiments. :) So help me out.... do you have an urgent need.... or just have ants in your pants to want it :D

Reactions: croman
That's great to hear. I'm currently confirmed for next week Infotainment upgrade with HW3 retrofit on my MX (MCU1+AP2.0). I was planning on putting in the digital tuner prior to the tesla visit but thinking about forgoing that plan since the chances of success are slim from Tesla techs plugin the extra cable and re-initiating the firmware/software.

I am not criticizing you idea or energy to install the tuner yourself - as much as you can. But it might make you choice to not try easier if I remind you that there is no readily available "extra cable" to ask the Tesla techs to install. Teslatap ordered parts from Germany and we waited more than 3 weeks for "samples" to arrive because the connectors were not in stock. The end that plugs into the back of the MCU, that end is unique and very hard to find. Teslatap made my cable, and I had to break down my dash, remove my MCU just to plug that cable in. And in the end (so far) its been a valuable learning experience, but could be in vain if we don't change Tesla's policy about activating any FM radio in a MCU2 upgraded car. :)

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva and Taj786
Any 2016’s in CA told they are eligible for either HW3 or the MCU2 upgrade? I’ve tried to schedule it a few times but keep getting told it’s not available yet and to stop scheduling appointments.

Mine was Dec ‘16 and I’m scheduled for tomorrow. Already got and signed the agreement. This is in the Bay Area, so may be starting here first?

On Friday after seeing the "scheduling now" went up on the infotainment page for AP2.0 with FSD I put in a service request. They told me "At this time it has not been fully released for your vehicle. You will be contacted to schedule once it has been released."

May 2017 S75 with MCU1.
Uh, didn't you see the part about it saying you can't request it and must wait for the invite for your vin?

• Funny
Reactions: gaswalla
I am not criticizing you idea or energy to install the tuner yourself - as much as you can. But it might make you choice to not try easier if I remind you that there is no readily available "extra cable" to ask the Tesla techs to install. Teslatap ordered parts from Germany and we waited more than 3 weeks for "samples" to arrive because the connectors were not in stock. The end that plugs into the back of the MCU, that end is unique and very hard to find. Teslatap made my cable, and I had to break down my dash, remove my MCU just to plug that cable in. And in the end (so far) its been a valuable learning experience, but could be in vain if we don't change Tesla's policy about activating any FM radio in a MCU2 upgraded car. :)

No offense or ill feelings taken at all. On the contrary, I respect and appreciate your advice and feedback regarding any and all Tesla related DIY since there are many things that can go wrong since there is soo much involved. Well, I was planning on either delaying or canceling my appointment in lieu of getting the tuner installed first and getting it connected but after reading your post, guess that's the final nail in the coffin. I could have sourced the cable/connector (Molex/Tyco/Mouser) or perhaps made my own with some help from the expert members but it seems like everything is gateway protected. Even the RCCB camera retrofit and requires root access. Wondering if the MCU2 can be rooted so I can still tinker with any upgrade down the road that might require a gateway config change. Thanks for the feedback @Akikiki

Uh, didn't you see the part about it saying you can't request it and must wait for the invite for your vin?

I haven't yet seen anyone provide evidence of Tesla reaching out to them with an actual invite. Not to say they aren't out there, but the forums here are full of people, including myself, who had to reach out on their own to get scheduled since no invites ever came.

Thank you @Taj746. That was very kind of generous of you to me. Much appreciated.

Having removed and replaced my old tuner with a Model 3 digital tuner, and recording the steps. And after several discussions (posts, PM's and emails) with @kdday, I am going to leave the "gateway access" to more skilled folks. Besides, let me restate my goal with the radio. It was not to under any method or condition - get the radio working again. I can live without FM radio. Teslatap (who is not on TMC) and I started working on restoring the FM radio as an experiment BUT also trying to do its the least invasive as possible to help the average or lesser skilled DIYers working on their cars.

We did that. We worked right up to the front door and could not step through. But I believe its still possible. I believe that a few and growing number of social media users could present the idea or urgency of saving FM radio with the MCU2 upgrade could work. I don't do social, so that part us up to others. Teslatap and I have done our part. Now we need someone else to step up that game. Fortunately it cost nothing to campaign for restoring FM Radio.

Please go for it. The sooner the better. Why? So those folks that need the Ethernet twisted pair port on the back of the MCU, do not need to go back into the SC just to have the MCU pulled and plugged in. It could be done during the upgrade. Then the radio added later.

• Love
Reactions: Art VandeIay