Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Frank, just checking, why did you say does Netflix when you have a WIFI connection, based on your car year, you should be grandfathered with Unlimited Premium Connectivity. Netflix should work on LTE as well

When I tried it for the first time at the Bay City MI SuC (before using my phone's hotspot), it was very choppy on the LTE connection so I assumed that Tesla was throttling it to discourage 'free' bandwidth use :).

I will try it again at a different SuC to see if it was just a bad location...

Yes, sentry mode recording works great. I captured a semi nearly wiping out yesterday.

Can I ask you one more question? So today I tried out a number of the features. I hate how you are limited to the exact speed limit when using Traffic Light/Sign control ESPECIALLY when they have the wrong speed limit for the area! Today I was on a MI back road where it should be 55MPH and it thought it was 25! Crazy. And there is no way to get them to update the data :-(
I shut it off then and there.

Anyway, I have an issue with the dashcam - how do you tell it to run continuously? I have Sentry mode on, and I have a USB stick in the first USB port with a folder called TeslaCam. The stick is FAT32 formatted. But after 1/2 dozen drives totaling over 60 miles, I only have one, very short video capture of me 'driving'. It does work for 'capture on honk' and I do have some Sentry-activated videos that I forced to happen. But I'll be damned to find how to tell it to always record when out and about.

Can you either tell me or point me to another post (I did do a search) that talks about using this feature? Once I know it works, I can get rid of my front-window-attached external dashcam. Thanks!

Anyway, I have an issue with the dashcam - how do you tell it to run continuously? I have Sentry mode on, and I have a USB stick in the first USB port with a folder called TeslaCam. The stick is FAT32 formatted. But after 1/2 dozen drives totaling over 60 miles, I only have one, very short video capture of me 'driving'. It does work for 'capture on honk' and I do have some Sentry-activated videos that I forced to happen. But I'll be damned to find how to tell it to always record when out and about.

It does always record while you are driving, but it only keeps the last clock hour of recordings, plus any 10-minute clips you save by honking the horn or tapping the dashcam icon on the MCU. (So if you drive for an hour, and park for 45 minutes there would be the last 15 minutes of driving still on the drive.)

It does always record while you are driving, but it only keeps the last clock hour of recordings, plus any 10-minute clips you save by honking the horn or tapping the dashcam icon on the MCU. (So if you drive for an hour, and park for 45 minutes there would be the last 15 minutes of driving still on the drive.)

Well, it isn't doing that. Like I said, I drove for over 2 hours today putting on 60 miles and making 1/2 a dozen stops. When I look at my flash drive (both in the car and on my desktop computer), it only has a 4.4MB clip of front/rear/side cameras from 7:27PM in my RecentClips folder (it is 10:41 now so based on what you said, it shouldn't have anything, right?), two very short clips (59 and 35 seconds) in the SavedClips folder (I think one is where I honked the horn but it might have been both times - but again nowhere near 10 minutes) and three 60 second clips that I forced Sentry mode to record by shaking the car in the SentryClips folder. My stick is only 1% full so it is not a space issue. Yet my on-the-windshield dashcam has GBs of saved clips (each one 60 seconds) so I know I wasn't hallucinating that I drove around :) I just don't understand what is going on.

Am I supposed to doing something with the icons on the top of the screen prior to driving or while driving?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Can you either tell me or point me to another post (I did do a search) that talks about using this feature? Once I know it works, I can get rid of my front-window-attached external dashcam. Thanks!
Consider keeping them both. Belt and suspenders. In case one doesn't work (full or failed USB drive or sometime). Also maybe different resolutions or have different quality depending on the light (day, dusk, etc).

Reactions: Fiver and GoBeavs
Consider keeping them both. Belt and suspenders. In case one doesn't work (full or failed USB drive or sometime). Also maybe different resolutions or have different quality depending on the light (day, dusk, etc).
Same for me, I will still keep my front-window-attached external dashcam for the same reasons. Last week, on the highway, I was passing a car driving on the middle lane, when this car suddenly moved into my lane without any notification. I was on NOA and the car initiated an emergency brake and I pressed the brakes at the same time to avoid the accident. The Tesla dashcam recorded 2 videos at this time, but the incident was not on the videos (it's was just in between !) But my front-window-attached external dashcam recorded the incident.

• Helpful
  • Love
Reactions: GSP and scottf200
I can use the MyQ garage door openers with my Tesla now.
Is this any different than regular Homelink? For example, are they able to determine the open/close state of the door rather than be a "dumb" toggle?

My issue with the toggle is in a scenario where my spouse would arrive home before me and open the garage door. My car arrives and automatically "opens" the garage. Since it's a toggle, the resulting signal would cause the door to close. The smart thing to do is not to send a signal to do anything if the door is already open.

Last edited:
I hate how you are limited to the exact speed limit when using Traffic Light/Sign control ESPECIALLY when they have the wrong speed limit for the area!

This may be a preview of how FSD will work in the future. It's likely FSD systems will be required to follow all traffic laws, which will mean coming to a full and complete stop at stop signs and not exceeding the posted speed limit - manufacturers may be held responsible if the FSD systems are programmed to disobey the law.

However... When systems are operating in "driver assist" mode, where the driver has the responsibility for driving, Tesla should allow the speed limit to be exceeded. It's reasonable to set the initial speed at the speed limit, and then allow the driver to increase the speed setting, taking responsibility for breaking the law.

If FSD systems always drive at the posted speed, that's clearly going to create challenges on roads shared with non-FSD vehicles driving at higher speeds. Though because FSD vehicles should be safer to operate at higher speeds, it's also possible we could eventually see higher speed limits for FSD vehicles, once the technology has been proven.

This may be a preview of how FSD will work in the future. It's likely FSD systems will be required to follow all traffic laws, which will mean coming to a full and complete stop at stop signs and not exceeding the posted speed limit - manufacturers may be held responsible if the FSD systems are programmed to disobey the law.

However... When systems are operating in "driver assist" mode, where the driver has the responsibility for driving, Tesla should allow the speed limit to be exceeded. It's reasonable to set the initial speed at the speed limit, and then allow the driver to increase the speed setting, taking responsibility for breaking the law.

If FSD systems always drive at the posted speed, that's clearly going to create challenges on roads shared with non-FSD vehicles driving at higher speeds. Though because FSD vehicles should be safer to operate at higher speeds, it's also possible we could eventually see higher speed limits for FSD vehicles, once the technology has been proven.
Your speed limit prediction has a lot of company on this board but if it happens it will kill sales of self-driving systems for urban drivers. Driving the speed limit on metro Phoenix streets will get you constant tailgates and cause road rage. Same deal in most cities, I suspect.

Speed limit +5 is a big difference and most cops would never ticket at that level unless in a safety zone like a school. I suspect the lack of +5 on the streets is simply an interim step while working out the many bugs of the new stoplight reading software.

Now, let’s stop stealing the thread on MCU2 upgrades!

Last edited:
Reactions: Gt1948

I don't have a problem with it driving at the speed limit WHEN IT USES THE CORRECT ONE! I have found countless errors on roads in my area and I have NO WAY to get them corrected. The most grotesque is as I mentioned about the 25MPH limit on a 55MPH road :-(