Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They should be able to replace themselves. Send off broken mcus to be replaced. Rinse and repeat.

Yes they are “able”. But this could be a case where they contract it out since there are 3rd party options available. In this case it’s probably cheaper than them doing it themselves. Tesla already has new versions that don’t have this issue and can stay focused on other things.

Yes they are “able”. But this could be a case where they contract it out since there are 3rd party options available. In this case it’s probably cheaper than them doing it themselves. Tesla already has new versions that don’t have this issue and can stay focused on other things.

I imagine they were making a nice profit forcint people to pay $2000 for a reman mcu1

Received my estimate this morning for the upgrade.

Looks like the parts I'm getting are:

9874562-00-A MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.0- NA
1655000-70-H ASSY,AUTOPILOT.ECU,3.0, MSX-FUSED

MCU Estimate.png parts ordered.png

Any news about Europe? FSD and MCU uograde?

Tnx
I dropped this afternoon my Model S at the Service Center Basel/Möhlin for HDW3 (FSD) upgrade. I got feedback from SC telling that the HDW3 upgrade successfully completed but I will have to wait until tomorrow to get my Tesla back (Firmware upgrade for HDW3 is not yet completed , furthermore the Database update should be also completed tomorrow).

Reactions: goRt
I imagine they were making a nice profit forcint people to pay $2000 for a reman mcu1

Many people here have a view point as though they were standing at a large construction site peeping in to the building area through one little observation hole in the wall protecting the bystanders. They see one thing alone. They don't know the effort that came before and they only see a narrow field of view. Its easy to bash Tesla at any given point and ignore any changes they are making.

As recent as winter of '18 and early spring of 2019, the cost to replace MCU1 was $4,000. Tesla was no longer putting MCU1 in new cars, so what was "on the shelf" was dwindling with no re-replenish coming. nVidia was no longer making the Tegra boards that were customized for Teslas either. So Tesla was not making new ones. Owners with out of warranty cars paid $4,000 to get their car fixed. Its in posts on TM and TMC, if you look. Tesla had no process for re-manufacturing used parts. There were no cores, there were no re-manufactured units Anyone with a problem paid for a brand new MCUs. They started keeping the old ones and found a way to refurbish them. In just a few months Tesla had a small supply of re-manufactured stock as the supply of new MCU1 decreased.

There still was no increase in new units, as they re-manufactured old ones. The price of re-manufactured units was ranging from $2400--$2700. (My guess is they were proud to have found a re-manufacture source and got a contract up and running in a few months. They brought the price of getting a car back on the road down from $4,000 to $2400-$2700.) The demand was growing as more failed with more active time on the MCUs. Cars were coming out of warranty so owners were paying more often. Yet in Feb 2020, Tesla had managed to bring the cost of swapping out a MCU at the SC down to $1300. (Probably leveraged their position to negotiate a better price.) For roughly the last four-five months, there's been more reports of failed MCUs going in to their SCs. And there's been such a shortage that people are waiting 4-8 weeks for a repair. I'm going to say that again for the hater's - the price on re-manufactured MCU1 came down from $2400 to $1300. They didn't have to find a way to do that. They could have just keep the extra money and not saved anyone a nickel. In a few more months MCU2 started becoming a common upgrade items and grow the MCU1 stock. But instead of keeping the re-man MCU1 high, they brought the price down.

Now we have new MCU2 going into cars removing MCU1s. Tesla keeps the core unless the owner demands it then they pay the core charge, as other manufacturers often require. The MCU1's going back to Tesla will help with the quantity available. I believe MCU2 will soon be available for '15 AP1 and older cars. Good.

But Tesla doesn't defend itself and remind people of how they are improving their own processes. Slow? Not fast enough for you? Sorry, that's the way it is. But better than nothing.

I applaud their efforts. 45 years ago, I used to work in the dealership and jobber parts business. Tesla moves at lightning speed compared to most.

Last edited:
The following article documents that a NHTSA preliminary investigation is taking place regarding the MCU failures. They say they have only received 11 complaints. I just filed a complaint for our 2015 S80D delivered early 2015. Please file your complaint so that they have a record for their investigation. We have been waiting over 5 weeks for the parts! Totally unacceptable.

Tesla Model S Touchscreen Problem Could Affect Up To 63,000 Cars

Here is the link to file your complaint.

File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

I applaud their efforts. 45 years ago, I used to work in the dealership and jobber parts business. Tesla moves at lightning speed compared to most.

Agree 1,000%. I just had my Dec. 2016 Model X done at the Tesla Alpharetta, GA service center today. While the cost of the upgrade felt steep, I only needed to remind myself to compare the MX against the wife's Lexus GS350. The Lexus will never ever have an OEM-approved upgraded infotainment system (I bought and installed an aftermarket computer for Apple CarPlay) while Tesla actually offers an approved way for their 4 year old cars (hopefully older AP1 and AP0 cars soon) to be refreshed with the latest infotainment features.

Folks need to remember that you are supporting a company that is leading the charge in creating sustainable transportation (and getting a highly capable car/SUV in the process). Without Tesla, no other manufacturer would be pushing EVs, no other manufacturer would be adding smarter connectivity to their cars.

BTW, Tesla Alpharetta SC has been phenomenal. The SA told me that I was their first Model X for the MCU2 upgrade. They turned everything around within 1 day (including fixing other non MCU issues).

Agree 1,000%. I just had my Dec. 2016 Model X done at the Tesla Alpharetta, GA service center today. While the cost of the upgrade felt steep, I only needed to remind myself to compare the MX against the wife's Lexus GS350. The Lexus will never ever have an OEM-approved upgraded infotainment system (I bought and installed an aftermarket computer for Apple CarPlay) while Tesla actually offers an approved way for their 4 year old cars (hopefully older AP1 and AP0 cars soon) to be refreshed with the latest infotainment features.

Folks need to remember that you are supporting a company that is leading the charge in creating sustainable transportation (and getting a highly capable car/SUV in the process). Without Tesla, no other manufacturer would be pushing EVs, no other manufacturer would be adding smarter connectivity to their cars.

BTW, Tesla Alpharetta SC has been phenomenal. The SA told me that I was their first Model X for the MCU2 upgrade. They turned everything around within 1 day (including fixing other non MCU issues).
Exactly! Agree 1001%
Really hope people would see this, Tesla is changing how traditional auto maker and dealership do things. Traditional auto maker tend to trick people into buying their new product which equipped with outdated components inside.

Last edited:
Reactions: AustinP and Akikiki
...Tesla actually offers an approved way for their 4 year old cars
And it includes a 4 year warranty.
... Without Tesla, no other manufacturer would be pushing EVs, no other manufacturer would be adding smarter connectivity to their cars.
This is not the tip of the iceberg for the future and safety. This is a gnat sitting on the top of Everest.

How long did it take from your request to parts actually arriving? I have moved my appointment with Alpharetta Service Center twice now due to parts still not arriving. Thy finally accepted my appointment on 6/1/2020 for two weeks later and it is currently set for 7/2/2020. I also have the a Dec 2016 Model X

tested go through green. Makes this much better but +5mph is needed. Local roads are rough at the speed limit. Even grandmas are giving me stink eye and the car complains so much when you push the accelerator to force it faster.

2020.24.6.1 follow a lead car thru a green light works 2 ways it turns out. a) when following thru a light that is already green, b) when you are stopped at a red light and the light turns green then you follow the car in front of you. 'b)' is very convenient and not sure why I didn't realize that is how it worked when I first read about the feature.

Reactions: croman
2020.24.6.1 follow a lead car thru a green light works 2 ways it turns out. a) when following thru a light that is already green, b) when you are stopped at a red light and the light turns green then you follow the car in front of you. 'b)' is very convenient and not sure why I didn't realize that is how it worked when I first read about the feature.

Yes no more confirmation that it ok to proceed through green. So far it has been totally accurate including seeing light changes. The cameras do occasionally lose one or two lights but the third offset light is almost always visible.

I'm looking forward to continued improvement and feature deployment.

How long did it take from your request to parts actually arriving? I have moved my appointment with Alpharetta Service Center twice now due to parts still not arriving. Thy finally accepted my appointment on 6/1/2020 for two weeks later and it is currently set for 7/2/2020. I also have the a Dec 2016 Model X
I feel like Tesla is using a stack instead of a queue for the list of people to get parts for the MCU2 upgrade, and those of us who put in a service request early have to wait for everyone else to get it first.

Reactions: bollar
Wish you could click/tap on the left or right one and expand it to the main display (ala Teslacam launcher). That way you can get a closer look on the side you are worried about.
I think it would be convenient to display those on the IC2 in the left and right parts as an option to replace music/energy/trip info.