Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How long did it take from your request to parts actually arriving? I have moved my appointment with Alpharetta Service Center twice now due to parts still not arriving. Thy finally accepted my appointment on 6/1/2020 for two weeks later and it is currently set for 7/2/2020. I also have the a Dec 2016 Model X

@Buzzbu, I submitted the request on 5/20 for a 6/8 initial appointment date. They texted and emailed on 6/7 (the day before) informing me that parts were still being shipped and asked what day the week of 6/22 I preferred. I chose 6/24 and guess I got lucky (on my birthday) that parts did indeed come in.

Also, FWIW, I consciously only requested MCU2 infotainment upgrade and did not mention anything about AP3.

I was eager to use all the tips and info discussed here about what to do before driving away from an MCU2 installation but a service advisor stopped me dead in my tracks while getting an update of “everything is going smoothly” on my AP2 car.
I asked if my settings, preferences, etc. were successfully transferred or restored from my 2 month old failed MCU1 and he said it wasn’t possible like a dead cellphone. So I followed up with asking if there was a cloud storage to restore from like cellphones which was answered with a flat out no.

So I’m sharing this to confirm if what he said is totally true before I get my car back in the next day or so and have to set up everything from scratch...

I was eager to use all the tips and info discussed here about what to do before driving away from an MCU2 installation but a service advisor stopped me dead in my tracks while getting an update of “everything is going smoothly” on my AP2 car.
I asked if my settings, preferences, etc. were successfully transferred or restored from my 2 month old failed MCU1 and he said it wasn’t possible like a dead cellphone. So I followed up with asking if there was a cloud storage to restore from like cellphones which was answered with a flat out no.

So I’m sharing this to confirm if what he said is totally true before I get my car back in the next day or so and have to set up everything from scratch...

I lost everything when my MCU1 failed. It depends on if certain files are corrupted or not.

MCU1 to 2 worked and preserved a lot of settings but not homelink but I just practiced that.

I dropped this afternoon my Model S at the Service Center Basel/Möhlin for HDW3 (FSD) upgrade. I got feedback from SC telling that the HDW3 upgrade successfully completed but I will have to wait until tomorrow to get my Tesla back (Firmware upgrade for HDW3 is not yet completed , furthermore the Database update should be also completed tomorrow).

FSD computer (HDW3) successfully upgraded and firmware 2020.20.12 successfully installed.

My initial reaction was: what software version?? Mine doesn’t do that! Then I realized, I haven’t needed to backup yet...
You don't need to backup, just turn on the rear camera. I need to turn it on in 'reverse'. When you enable it in Park, the side cameras look weird in mine, they look like the side images are inverted (like they are flipped, with them looking forward). Are they showing in it turn signal mode to show some sort of blind spot (which you still would think would be aft and not forward...).

I need to look again and unplug to test reverse vs. park.....

All settings lost for me during upgrade. Feb ‘17 model S. What about.. no. Could we.. no. But.. no. The only thing I really miss is the lifetime energy use of the long term trip meter I had running. I did take a picture of it at drop off (19226 kWh). Actually going through all settings and contemplating what I now want has been fine. Clean slate. And the new lifetime trip meter is now for this new brained car. I can add the old number for chassis lifetime. Ah well.

Based on my own black-screen MCU replacement. You have to setup everything from scratch including favorite locations, homelink, driver preferences and the name of the car. They won't copy the old eMMC over. It's not that big a deal, just take a bit of time to redo everything.

Teslafi however still had the lifetime records of charges and tips.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva and croman
Based on my own black-screen MCU replacement. You have to setup everything from scratch including favorite locations, homelink, driver preferences and the name of the car. They won't copy the old eMMC over. It's not that big a deal, just take a bit of time to redo everything.

Teslafi however still had the lifetime records of charges and tips.
They won't if it's dead, but they usually do if it's an upgrade. Just to be clear for anyone new skipping to the end. :D

They won't if it's dead, but they usually do if it's an upgrade. Just to be clear for anyone new skipping to the end. :D

You're going to have to copy and paste that a couple dozen times more. It won't be the end in about a day.

FWIW, previous MCU1 replacement (refurb) lost everything. Saved settings, bluetooth, gps favorites, radio stations, even trip counter. Current MCU2 upgrade (failed refurb MCU1) carried over the majority of settings. I lost radio favorites, wifi..and I think that's it so far.

You're going to have to copy and paste that a couple dozen times more. It won't be the end in about a day.

FWIW, previous MCU1 replacement (refurb) lost everything. Saved settings, bluetooth, gps favorites, radio stations, even trip counter. Current MCU2 upgrade (failed refurb MCU1) carried over the majority of settings. I lost radio favorites, wifi..and I think that's it so far.
Ha, good point. But it looks their software can't access a dead one. You might think it could in read-only mode, but I'd need an answer from those that know the internals of the chip more than I do. Dead SSDs you often can read the contents in read-only mode. (And then we had the convo about the migration software not being used correctly by some SC's also, when it is capable of migrating everything (theoretically).)

Lots of combinations, as you say! :D

Yesterday I got HW 3 and MCU2 upgrade (from HW. 2.5) at San Diego SC at last, after 3 months of postponements. I dropped it in the morning and car was ready around 3PM. I lost all the settings. I had yellowing on the screen and UV treatment fixed it as well for now. The staff was great , very courteous and helpful. They gave me for the day $100 of uber credits.

The map and FW was up to date so that I could see HW3 enhancements. Still at home I needed to bump FW.

Yesterday I got HW 3 and MCU2 upgrade (from HW. 2.5) at San Diego SC at last, after 3 months of postponements. I dropped it in the morning and car was ready around 3PM. I lost all the settings. I had yellowing on the screen and UV treatment fixed it as well for now. The staff was great , very courteous and helpful. They gave me for the day $100 of uber credits.

The map and FW was up to date so that I could see HW3 enhancements. Still at home I needed to bump FW.

If you got the MCU2 upgrade And paid full 2,500 price, I’d assume you have a new screen and new instrument cluster screen. Yellowing should be gone because of new screens.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Hw3 is really nice. Been driving for almost a week and it's great. Not perfect but really much better than I expected. Shaping up nicely and nag time is way less on highway. Had no AS limit (90mph max but that's insane for local highways) and red light feature on 41 going north ( divided highway with ramps but also traffic light control for intersections) worked perfectly.

This really completes the FSD highway package now for those state and local highways. System worked awesome there with go on green since I always had a lead vehicle. Really seeing benefits vs hw2 which also was good on highway and local but this is somehow better.

I had yellowing on the screen and UV treatment fixed it as well for now.
Did you get the -B (blue) part number on your service invoice?

OFlFmW3.jpg

Another successful upgrade here in the Texas area. Shout out to the Plano SC. Excellent service and communication the entire time from day one. I saved 250 bucks and used my original screen since they are short screens these days. I was happy to that it paid for a wheel alignment with the savings. as everyone has been saying it feels like changing from iPhone 6 to an 11 pro. Very happy here.

Reactions: Akikiki