Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That was me!

My thinking is that either ...

1. he's misinformed about MCU & LTE upgrade options at service centres.

or

2. his reply “you can” was cryptic and meant, you can ... if you buy a new Tesla.

This. I think he just doesn’t know the reality.
Maybe we could call it the Musk “Reality Distortion Area”

2. his reply “you can” was cryptic and meant, you can ... if you buy a new Tesla.
When I was a young boy my 3rd grade teacher was quick to point out the difference between can and may. When a student asked her if they CAN go to the bathroom and she said probably or yes, they were alarmed when she yelled at them for leaving their seat without first asking if they MAY.;)

When I was a young boy my 3rd grade teacher was quick to point out the difference between can and may. When a student asked her if they CAN go to the bathroom and she said probably or yes, they were alarmed when she yelled at them for leaving their seat without first asking if they MAY.;)
your teacher must have been related to mine. If I asked can I go to the bathroom, I would usually hear her say "I don't know. Can you?" :rolleyes:

Muskator just confirmed again that you can upgrade your MCU to MCU2: (this must be 4th time)

Twitter

Lot of people commenting that you can't. People here should comment too so he sees it.

(Note: Technically he could be replying only to the LTE part, but I believe that's very unlikely due to the question being so specific about missing out on Beach Buggy etc...)

Thanks for sharing... :cool:

upload_2019-7-28_9-39-24.png

Reactions: scottf200
I’d list my 100d for sale and immediately buy a p100d Raven tomorrow, if I knew FUSC would still be available. Since it’s not, it’ll be a long time before I upgrade.

They should stop cutting the prices, and keep that for MS and MX, or sell it as an option.

Just put $1000-$2000 into a second checking account, get a debit card for it and attach it to your Tesla account. That's effectively the same thing as paying for FUSC.

That may be the average, but not in my case. I make long drives, and I make them regularly.

But really, like how much? How many miles do you estimate you’ve driven on supercharger energy in the last year?

I think most people dramatically overestimate the value of free supercharging. Strong psychological value, not so much monetary.

So there’s lots of talk here about it, but what’s actually involved? I have a late 2017, with AP2.5. I expect I would need the MCU itself, at least the wiring harness for it. But what else? I mean, once the dash is out, what’s the difference between it and a 2018 from six months later? I doubt the wiring in the doors, trunk, seats, etc would need to change. Perhaps a few other little changes, but what are they? Couldn’t a parts list be drawn up, and it ACTUALLY be upgraded?

But really, like how much? How many miles do you estimate you’ve driven on supercharger energy in the last year?

I think most people dramatically overestimate the value of free supercharging. Strong psychological value, not so much monetary.

50-60 thousand kms per year. My warranty is done, and I took delivery in Dec 2017. Locally, you’re right, it’s all home charging, but my car has traveled most of North America at this point.

I was over 10000 kms in the first week of ownership. (About 6000 miles).

I figure it’s about $2500/year. More when it’s colder, and I live in Canada.

Over the approximately 6.5 years I've had my S we've driven about 90 trip days. Each trip day is about 700 miles.
Assuming each stop at night is destination charging and 200 miles are gained, that's roughly 500 SC miles for each trip day.
500 miles X 90 days = 45,000 SC miles
45,000 SC miles X 260 Wh/mi / 1,000 = 11,700 kWh
If SC cost is $0.28/kWh, then 11,700 * 0.28 = 3276 ~= $500 per year. Or approximately ten weeks of groceries for the two of us.

But note that if you do the same calculation using 600 miles per day, the miles obtained from SC are 15% less, but the value received from SC goes down 20%. This is because the miles you obtain from destination charging doesn't change while the miles you receive from SCs is less, so destination charging becomes a larger part of the trip.

Whether this is psychological or not depends upon your cheap scale score. And this doesn't count those who use SCs because they have no home charging available.

So there’s lots of talk here about it, but what’s actually involved? I have a late 2017, with AP2.5. I expect I would need the MCU itself, at least the wiring harness for it. But what else? I mean, once the dash is out, what’s the difference between it and a 2018 from six months later? I doubt the wiring in the doors, trunk, seats, etc would need to change. Perhaps a few other little changes, but what are they? Couldn’t a parts list be drawn up, and it ACTUALLY be upgraded?

It's not a 'drop-in' replacement. The wiring harness are different. The instrument cluster also needs to be replaced as it's just a screen driven by MCU2 and not a separated computing unit like MCU1. People have said there are different antennas in the folding mirrors (and a different harness there too). And replacing an entire wiring harness isn't for the faint of heart. Sure, it probably could be done, but it's far from easy or straightforward and by the time you're done, you are better of buying a new car. :)

It's not a 'drop-in' replacement. The wiring harness are different. The instrument cluster also needs to be replaced as it's just a screen driven by MCU2 and not a separated computing unit like MCU1. People have said there are different antennas in the folding mirrors (and a different harness there too). And replacing an entire wiring harness isn't for the faint of heart. Sure, it probably could be done, but it's far from easy or straightforward and by the time you're done, you are better of buying a new car. :)
Then why does Elon keep dangling this? Or is talking about the replacement being the car. Dang literal engineers. :D (And I'm one of them, so I can say that, lol!)

Edit: Just read back a couple of pages.... Sigh, about ready to put a deposit on a Y for next year at this rate.

Reactions: Lex and arcus