Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@T3SLA90D That looks pretty normal. My guess is you might have a bit of cloudiness/haze on your windshield - possibly in front of the cameras but on inside of windshield where you can't get to it (I'm assuming you have cleaned the outside). But yours looks similar to what I have seen on mine and I think part of it is due the the fact the cameras are looking through the windshield at an angle (making it thicker) due to the slope of the windshield.

some people have written about removing the camera housing/camera to clean the glass but I have not tried that (concerned about screwing up the camera alignment).

Here are two pics outdoors. Still not crisp but better. I noticed it’s more hazy if the sun/light is shining on the windshield.
This is what my front camera looks like as well. The side repeater cameras are very clear compared to the front camera. I will at times get autopilot limited/unavailable messages with high contrast times of the day such as dusk and dawn. Do these cameras need cleaning or is this par for the course?

Apart from that, I've also heared that the HW3.0 upgrade doesn't seem to work well together with MCU1? At least I've read some stories in this thread about a few owners complaining about a setback in performance of the MCU1 interface after upgrading to the HW3.0.

For me, reading all of these stories makes me a bit reluctant to proceed with the HW3.0 upgrade next week after all.

Thanks for the information @PatrickCH4313. I didn't even knew they are now expecting the MCU2 upgrade to be offered this year. The last news I've got was that it was still highly uncertain and might even be rolled out in 2021 for Europe.

I got HW3 installed on my MCU1-car early in May. Short version of my experience with this combo is that both AP and MCU1 operates exactly as it did with HW2.5. I haven't noticed any new features, visualizations, etc, and no additional stuttering, lag or instability on the MCU.

This is what my front camera looks like as well. The side repeater cameras are very clear compared to the front camera. I will at times get autopilot limited/unavailable messages with high contrast times of the day such as dusk and dawn. Do these cameras need cleaning or is this par for the course?

See my post on the last page. Highly likely you need to clean the glass behind the camera housing.

Tesla confirms infotainment system upgradeability from MCU1 to MCU2 for $2500

Anyone have issues with their car not sleeping after the upgrade? I went from MCU1/AP2.0 to MCU2/AP3.0 on my Model X.

My car has already finished downloading and installing all the latest software and navigation updates. But I notice it won't sleep. My method of checking is whether the vehicle is still connected to WiFi via my network equipment's portal. I know this method works because my model 3 disconnects from WiFi when it enters sleep. The Model X hasn't went to sleep ever since I had the upgrade done.

I have sentry excluded for home and also have Summon turned entirely off (so its not standby summon causing it to stay awake).

Or maybe it came that way from the factory if on the shelf for a while. The yellow band can be fixed with the UV treatment though. As long as there are no other imperfections, you should be good to go with that fix. Although shouldn’t have been necessary in the first place.
I was curious about the comment that the Yellow band around the screen can be "fixed" with the UV treatment. Is this something I can do myself? Can I use one of those sanitizing UV lights?

getting MCU upgrade on monday, Can they transfer all settings or will I need to re-program the car?

Most people seem to have everything transferred over, minus a few things that are hardware dependent like bluetooth, wifi, etc.

Mine for some reason didn't. Was completely back to factory defaults when I picked it up. If it's important to you to retain your settings you might want to confirm with the service center when you drop off what the expectation is.

Mahalo Nui Loa (a great big thank you from Hawaii Island). The posts are very helpful. Our SC is on Oahu which means we get to ship our vehicle there for major servicing. We have mobile rangers for minor issues. Sounds like I have a weekend project. Grammy's Tessie will be happy to have the yellow band (2017 X) gone or at least muted. I love reading the posts and count my blessings for nearly 3 years of a wonderful driving experience.

Most people seem to have everything transferred over, minus a few things that are hardware dependent like bluetooth, wifi, etc.

Mine for some reason didn't. Was completely back to factory defaults when I picked it up. If it's important to you to retain your settings you might want to confirm with the service center when you drop off what the expectation is.

yep when i picked up everything was transferred over settings wise. i was surprised. i was concerned about privacy so i deleted bluetooth/homelink/previous destinations/home addresses/etc from my MCU1 before i dropped the car off.

it seems the SC advisor would have known this and advised me when they installed, sounds like Tesla left him in the dark too.
I had planned on having HW3 and the Infotainment upgrade installed at the same time. I went to the SC to finally have my referral Arachnids installed. My service advisor told me that my car was eligible for the FSD computer that they would install it while my car was there. This was early on and apparently my SA didn't know. The SC rep I was talking to yesterday said that he would talk to the SA to ensure that this didn't happen to someone else.

Hmm, I live in Europe and the MCU2 upgrade is not available yet, however the owners who have purchased FSD are eligible to request the HW3.0 upgrade.

Currently I did the latter, next week I have an appointment to upgrade HW3.0. Is it wise to cancel this upgrade and postpone it until the MCU2 upgrade eventually takes place?
Personally, I would wait until the MCU2 upgrade is available. You're not going to notice any difference between your current AP2.5/MCU1 and AP3.0/MCU1. All of the new features (that users can see anyway) need the MCU2 to function.

• Informative
Reactions: Gt1948
I got HW3 installed on my MCU1-car early in May. Short version of my experience with this combo is that both AP and MCU1 operates exactly as it did with HW2.5. I haven't noticed any new features, visualizations, etc, and no additional stuttering, lag or instability on the MCU.

I moved from AP2/MCU1 to AP3/MCU1 and did notice some differences. It seems they tweeked process priority a bit. E.g. When the system is busy, my volume controls stop working for a few seconds. Before they just slowed down a little.

Reactions: watt
hi all since we are at page 305 of this thread. Some one I am sure has probably recounted their experience with the upgrade. here is mine ( I just had it done ( took 3 days). in all I was a fine experience at the Tyson VA SC. I have a April build MS 2017 90D with FSD and was AP2, MCU1. when they turned it back to me they warned me " some settings were erased". actually it was everything the MCU holds. it took me about a half an hour sitting in the parking lot to put them all back in ( I had to wait till I got home on the 802.1-g wifi and my door opener) , the cameras were still calibration to but were at 91% when I got it back to home, by the next day they were all caught up . Im still waiting for the rest of the MAPS update over wifi to get the "Stopping at traffic lights" to not be greyed out . some early impressions :

for me this is wicked fast!. I can see rendering and decisions are much faster with HDW3 things generally seem smoother ( but that could have been since I was driving my wife's truck for 3 days) . the traffic lights, stop signs, trash bins and arrows and HOV diamonds tracking on the ground is a nice touch. it took me a little while to find the pull down for side camera view in back up but that is nice I leave it on when ever I back into a spot. even though I can and it can see the lights at noted as red ahead
in AP it still comes up on the light fast and then give you the red light warning ( "red hands") if you don't slow down your self . I am hoping that disappears when the maps update and I can turn on stop at lights. just wanted you to know those two are very connected ( and please nobody run into anything on side street AP- it makes us all look bad :) ).

I did miss the FM radio at first but I found all my radio stations I listen to in tune in so I used that to get to them. LTE for me is about the same - no lag

I have an actual working browser now!!!. I gave up on that a while ago and forgot I even had it. the System down loaded the games I had not had available to me on MCU 1 by that evening.

I must say at 3 year years, it feels and operates like a new car!. now if the battery will stay good.....

I had planned on having HW3 and the Infotainment upgrade installed at the same time. I went to the SC to finally have my referral Arachnids installed. My service advisor told me that my car was eligible for the FSD computer that they would install it while my car was there. This was early on and apparently my SA didn't know. The SC rep I was talking to yesterday said that he would talk to the SA to ensure that this didn't happen to someone else.

Personally, I would wait until the MCU2 upgrade is available. You're not going to notice any difference between your current AP2.5/MCU1 and AP3.0/MCU1. All of the new features (that users can see anyway) need the MCU2 to function.
The problem with many of us we purchased the upgrade before the price went up and really didn’t know about these issues at that time. Now it appears would should have waited but can’t turn the clock back. I’m just hoping when MCU2 is available for me (2months i’m told) they will have figured out how to make everything work together for those of us who got hw3 installed without the MCU 2 upgrade. MCU1 in my MS is really becoming a pain in the butt since the hw3 upgrade. Sometimes it takes me 2-3 minutes before I can even drive out of my garage after reboot or pin issues and now rarely get LTE and terrible streaming.

The problem with many of us we purchased the upgrade before the price went up and really didn’t know about these issues at that time. Now it appears would should have waited but can’t turn the clock back. I’m just hoping when MCU2 is available for me (2months i’m told) they will have figured out how to make everything work together for those of us who got hw3 installed without the MCU 2 upgrade. MCU1 in my MS is really becoming a pain in the butt since the hw3 upgrade. Sometimes it takes me 2-3 minutes before I can even drive out of my garage after reboot or pin issues and now rarely get LTE and terrible streaming.
Thankfully the only issue that I'm having is that if I insert a USB or SSD to record the camera feed, it locks up the MCU.

When I asked how will I know when the "patch" is ready the rep's suggestion was to try to schedule the infotainment upgrade via the app. The same people that canceled the upgrade when the rep scheduled it for me will review the order when I do it. If the order goes through you're good to go. I'm planning on trying it on 1 Oct.

• Informative
Reactions: RedOctober
All my SSIDs are visible. My garage has an AP with both 2 & 5GHz radios on.

Additionally, I often play Backgammon while charging and on my MCU2 it causes it to crash and reboot the MCU2. My car has been at the SC for 6 days already and they have tesla "engineering" trying to fix it before replacing hardware.

No joy.

An update: After spending another week at the SC i got it back today and it appears a full reflashing of the MCU2 fixed the wifi issue. Backgammon still causes the MCU2 to reboot.

Edit: So the car still wont connect to my 5GHz wifi even though all my other devices (iphone, echo, cameras, etc.) can. Looks like another appointment needs to be scheduled.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: RedOctober
Don't count on it. People with newer cars, those that already had MCU2 - have reported the rear camera is darker. Has nothing to do with the Upgrade. Its simply the way MCU2 has been. Gonna have to get used to it. Or not.

They can fix this in software. For example, just detect when the display is running in dark mode (e.g. dark outside) and bump up the exposure on the camera feed. FWIW, the repeater cameras look much brighter in the dark.

Reactions: croman