Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

JBT66

Oct 26, 2018
Florida
This is a lower cost upgrade that causes you to lose FM radio. However it seems you can add it back for $500 so still cheaper.

I was looking at some used model X’s and was factoring in the MCU upgrade. This is good timing.

bob_p

Apr 5, 2012
Just completed our infotainment/radio upgrade last week for $3000 - and while it's disappointing to see the $1000 price drop a week later, since we were willing to pay $3000 for the upgrade - we got what we paid for...

With the new pricing, the upgrade could be $1250 if they still allow you to keep the original display (and give up your radio).

hmidha

Dec 20, 2019
Westford, MA
Just completed our infotainment/radio upgrade last week for $3000 - and while it's disappointing to see the $1000 price drop a week later, since we were willing to pay $3000 for the upgrade - we got what we paid for...

With the new pricing, the upgrade could be $1250 if they still allow you to keep the original display (and give up your radio).

Hey @bob_p, assuming you don't have premium audio as you paid $500 for the radio upgrade. Trying to understand why some are paying $500 for the radio upgrade and for others its free.

fcastrillo86

Dec 30, 2020
Vallejo
It most certainly did. Mine was upgraded to HW3 at the same time, despite me not having the FSD package (just enhanced autopilot).

I don’t know if that’s still the case, but it definitely was in July.
Interesting! I learned something new then. I wonder if the FSD computer is retrofitted and just stays "dormant" (maybe the wrong word) until the owner pays to activate the full feature suite.

Need

Nov 22, 2017
SoCal
Interesting! I learned something new then. I wonder if the FSD computer is retrofitted and just stays "dormant" (maybe the wrong word) until the owner pays to activate the full feature suite.

It is not "dormant", you get FSD visualization enabled if you have HW3 without FSD. You get to see traffic lights and trash cans on the screen LOL. I did our MCU1->2 upgrade 2 months ago. If I know the price would drop, I would wait, but the upgrade was still amazing for the $2500 I paid. We also bought our MX 2 years ago. If we waited 2 years, it would have been like $20,000+ cheaper ($13,000 even without Fed Tax Credit of $7500) and a bigger battery and MCU2. That's just how it is with Tesla. I paid $2000 for Multicoat White... and now White is free LOL.

SO16

Feb 25, 2016
MI
It is not "dormant", you get FSD visualization enabled if you have HW3 without FSD. You get to see traffic lights and trash cans on the screen LOL. I did our MCU1->2 upgrade 2 months ago. If I know the price would drop, I would wait, but the upgrade was still amazing for the $2500 I paid. We also bought our MX 2 years ago. If we waited 2 years, it would have been like $20,000+ cheaper ($13,000 even without Fed Tax Credit of $7500) and a bigger battery and MCU2. That's just how it is with Tesla. I paid $2000 for Multicoat White... and now White is free LOL.

Yup. Pretty much everyone would get a better Tesla for cheaper if they wait. But I want to experience the vehicle now....not when I’m dead.

fcastrillo86

Dec 30, 2020
Vallejo
Dormant was indeed the wrong word lol. I was more referring to the actual Full Self Driving feature being inactive, but ready to go once the owner decided to cough up the $10k or whatever it'll cost further down the line. Good to know that you still get the extra visualizations even without the FSD features being active!

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC