Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just completed our infotainment/radio upgrade last week for $3000 - and while it's disappointing to see the $1000 price drop a week later, since we were willing to pay $3000 for the upgrade - we got what we paid for...

With the new pricing, the upgrade could be $1250 if they still allow you to keep the original display (and give up your radio).

Just completed our infotainment/radio upgrade last week for $3000 - and while it's disappointing to see the $1000 price drop a week later, since we were willing to pay $3000 for the upgrade - we got what we paid for...

With the new pricing, the upgrade could be $1250 if they still allow you to keep the original display (and give up your radio).

Hey @bob_p, assuming you don't have premium audio as you paid $500 for the radio upgrade. Trying to understand why some are paying $500 for the radio upgrade and for others its free.

It most certainly did. Mine was upgraded to HW3 at the same time, despite me not having the FSD package (just enhanced autopilot).

I don’t know if that’s still the case, but it definitely was in July.
Interesting! I learned something new then. I wonder if the FSD computer is retrofitted and just stays "dormant" (maybe the wrong word) until the owner pays to activate the full feature suite.

Interesting! I learned something new then. I wonder if the FSD computer is retrofitted and just stays "dormant" (maybe the wrong word) until the owner pays to activate the full feature suite.

It is not "dormant", you get FSD visualization enabled if you have HW3 without FSD. You get to see traffic lights and trash cans on the screen LOL. I did our MCU1->2 upgrade 2 months ago. If I know the price would drop, I would wait, but the upgrade was still amazing for the $2500 I paid. We also bought our MX 2 years ago. If we waited 2 years, it would have been like $20,000+ cheaper ($13,000 even without Fed Tax Credit of $7500) and a bigger battery and MCU2. That's just how it is with Tesla. I paid $2000 for Multicoat White... and now White is free LOL.

It is not "dormant", you get FSD visualization enabled if you have HW3 without FSD. You get to see traffic lights and trash cans on the screen LOL. I did our MCU1->2 upgrade 2 months ago. If I know the price would drop, I would wait, but the upgrade was still amazing for the $2500 I paid. We also bought our MX 2 years ago. If we waited 2 years, it would have been like $20,000+ cheaper ($13,000 even without Fed Tax Credit of $7500) and a bigger battery and MCU2. That's just how it is with Tesla. I paid $2000 for Multicoat White... and now White is free LOL.

Yup. Pretty much everyone would get a better Tesla for cheaper if they wait. But I want to experience the vehicle now....not when I’m dead.

Dormant was indeed the wrong word lol. I was more referring to the actual Full Self Driving feature being inactive, but ready to go once the owner decided to cough up the $10k or whatever it'll cost further down the line. Good to know that you still get the extra visualizations even without the FSD features being active!