Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More details please. Was this a re-laminated MCU, or does it have a fresh eMMC as well? Reman from Tesla, or a third party?

Everything was done by Tesla; the part number (and price) is what alluded me to the fact that it was not a new part. I can't say what was actually refurbished on this but it comes with a 4 year/unlimited mileage warranty so if it was just an old MCU with a new screen, I'll be covered when this thing fails.

Using the replacement unit, I actually find it to be less responsive than my old one and some text has briefly glitched on me once already.

upload_2019-10-20_11-20-35.png

Everything was done by Tesla; the part number (and price) is what alluded me to the fact that it was not a new part. I can't say what was actually refurbished on this but it comes with a 4 year/unlimited mileage warranty so if it was just an old MCU with a new screen, I'll be covered when this thing fails.

Using the replacement unit, I actually find it to be less responsive than my old one and some text has briefly glitched on me once already.

View attachment 468156
Are you sure this was MCU2, looking up part numbers it looks like mcu1.

https://epc.tesla.com/#/systemGroups/53890?partNumber=1098010-00-F&partId=9010999
BA6DA4E2-5FD6-4C14-8B82-E44A939E943A.jpeg

Whereas MCU2 is
7BEE8CBC-CB2F-4713-8ADD-A25E2B60C584.jpeg

Last edited:
Are you sure this was MCU2, looking up part numbers it looks like mcu1.

I don't think he ever claimed it was MCU2, just that he had his MCU replaced for ~$2k.

I just replaced my MCU1 for $2100 with a remanufactured part from Tesla. They wouldn't give me the old part back unless I paid a $500 core charge. The screen was failing and I figured the extra $700 was worth it to change the whole unit.

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar

View attachment 468156

Thanks for posting this. I understood you purchased it from Tesla, what I was getting at was whether actual Tesla employees did the refurbish, or do they outsource them to a different company to refurbish on their behalf; perhaps the same place that made them for Tesla? I believe they are making the new ones in house with their own chips. No expert here, but I believe the MCU1's were outsourced?

I know it doesn't say anything on the work order but it would be a question I would ask the service centre if they were replacing mine, so just wondered if you did (of course there is a 99% chance they don't know either, but a little probing doesn't hurt)

Curious if the eMMC has been replaced with a fresh one though. Are you? Would the sc have the answer to that one?

I just replaced my MCU1 for $2100 with a remanufactured part from Tesla. They wouldn't give me the old part back unless I paid a $500 core charge. The screen was failing and I figured the extra $700 was worth it to change the whole unit.
$500 core charge? It seems they really want the old one to keep having remanufactured ones, which probably means that they don't have a supply of new ones and don't have a way to substitute with MCU2. :( Another unique experience of owning a Tesla vs. a traditional car manufacturer which supplies new parts for years and after that aftermarket parts are also available.

$500 core charge? It seems they really want the old one to keep having remanufactured ones, which probably means that they don't have a supply of new ones and don't have a way to substitute with MCU2. :( Another unique experience of owning a Tesla vs. a traditional car manufacturer which supplies new parts for years and after that aftermarket parts are also available.

Of course. How in the hell would that get 8 year old tegras.

With some types of ASICs such as commodity CPUs, it is very difficult to get a new batch made after the initial production has stopped. The chip fabs introduce new manufacturing processes that produce chips that are totally incompatible with the prior chips (voltages are different, timings are different, etc).

On the one hand, the NVIDIA chips were probably made in very large volumes and so there are probably lots of spares floating around, on the other hand there may be other support chips on the board that aren't as easy to get; if tesla wasn't planning on this board having a high failure rate they may simply not have banked enough parts to maintain a reasonable supply of parts. It would probably be completely impossible (IE absurdly expensive, not actually "eat-a-neutron-star-sandwich" impossible) to make a brand-new iphone 3gs using only parts manufactured in 2019, for example, because there are too many highly integrated parts for which there are no manufacturing capacity.

We will very soon know how diligently they've been refurbishing these MCU1s -- the continuum is anywhere from
  1. ship untested returns to other customers, repair boards that come back two times
  2. drop off a batch of dead MCUs and ebay bought eMMCs at a San Bruno phone repair place that will drop ship the fixed boards to service centers
  3. send boards off to an aviation electronics specialty shop that re-certifies the part after putting it through extensive testing including vibration, wide temperature ranges, and finally x-raying the boards
If there is a large return rate on replaced MCUs, they're taking options 1 and 2...

As far as other car manufacturers goes -- they tend to farm out the actual manufacture of a part to other companies (delphi, delco, bosch, etc) and those companies tend to focus on producing a stable family of products used to integrate into a wide range of cars and so they have an incentive to have a small family of stable products to drop into different OEM requirements. This approach results in lower integration density and less optimization but a slightly more stable supply chain.

At some point Tesla will need to address legacy support. They will face a variety of issues that taint the brand, things like MCU failures, battery degradation, etc. They can either walk away Nissan style or $tep up like Lexus or Mercedes. Time will tell.