Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't remember when they included it, try "lv SYS_CD_emmcMLCAvgBlkErases", if that returns nothing you will need a bit of code added from a newer firmware. there's also /usr/local/bin/emmc-vitals.sh
Your first command worked. I've got a Feb 2018 build already at 1259. I have moved it over to tmpfs in the last month or so...but dang, I'm surprised how high it is...

mlc_avg_blk_erases : 1259
mlc_rated_blk_erases : 3000

Also, it appears my 2018 car has an emmc (and thus mcu?) date of 8/2016

Last edited:
It sounds like they're aware of the issue and what causes it but it still seems like they're doing precious little to mitigate it.
Today I took my S in for service and observed two relecant issues. First, a tech specifically mentioned pulling syslogs so I guess they do look at them. Second they gave me a loaner that was a founder's edition but it had the yellow ring of low quality on the mcu. I guess the original mcu died and they swapped in one of the yellowed ones.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I thought they didn't give out loaners anymore? Just had mine towed today :(
pQGZtrn%QEKXVDjk7ib5AA.jpg

...they actually now display the emmc erase counter on the diagnostic screen that SC can activate and show you (but it's tedious to scroll to it)
Anyone have a picture of the screen described above? Not sure my service center would know what I was asking otherwise.

I am at 49,500 miles and have some tough MCU decisions to make this month.

Hynix EMMC in MCU1s has 3000 rated nand erase cycles (at least that's what Tesla uses as the baseline). Recently they started to gather this usage statistics and show the undocumented command to use it so now rooted users actually do know what their overwrite count is. e.g. on my car it's at 989 right now.

NAND flash doesn't really work with a global rated erase cycle. It works by block. Block size will vary depending on the type of flash (from 1kB to 256 typically).

With NAND you can't change a bit from 0 to 1. When you format a block, all bits are set to 1 (0xFF all over the block). After that you can change them from 1 to 0 (hence the name NAND).

If you want to modify a single byte on a block, you must format it fully and then write it again with the correct value.

Well before the rated erase cycle, formatting a block becomes slower and slower. That's why those memories becomes slower over time. It's not due to the read or write speed, it's the format time that increases.

Why Tesla chose a eMMC with only 3000 erase cycles is beyond me, Intel 15 years ago already had some with 100,000 rated cycle (we used that in HP calculators).
My guess is that the hardware guys who designed the board never conceived that the software dude would want to write everything logs produced, even the useless ones.

Source: have written many NAND drivers in earlier days.

So is the consensus then that the MCU will require being replaced every 50-70k miles???
That seems absurd, especially when its likely out of warranty by the first, and almost definitely by 120k.
The MCU in our 2012 Model S lasted at least 96k miles, and longer than three years, prior to its recent replacement. We bought our Model S used, from Tesla, in 2016. As a result, I don't know whether the MCU previously needed replacement. Also, when it failed, the car was still drivable but could not be charged, so I was able to drive it to the service center.

When we picked up our car from the service center, I also noticed that the touchscreen no longer had yellowed edges. I don't know if that means they also swapped out the display.

When we picked up our car from the service center, I also noticed that the touchscreen no longer had yellowed edges. I don't know if that means they also swapped out the display.

Yes, i do believe it is one unit on the older MCU's so the screen is also replaced.
I didn't buy mine from Tesla, but mine was also purchased used, and the thought of having to replace a multi-thousand $ unit every 60k kinda defeats the purpose of the "less moving parts" motivational advertisement. That alone would be worth selling the car until i can afford one with the newer MCU

So is the consensus then that the MCU will require being replaced every 50-70k miles???
That seems absurd, especially when its likely out of warranty by the first, and almost definitely by 120k.

It doesn't have anything to do with the number of miles driven. It has more to do with the uptime of the MCU. So if you have a third party app that prevents the MCU from going to sleep your MCU is going to fail sooner than it otherwise would.

i.e. a Taxi that travels at low speed and is stopped a lot will have it's MCU fail at a much lower mileage than a commuter car like the Tesloop cars that drive non-stop almost every day.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors