Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My original point of ‘the upgrade should be indistinguishable from a ‘real’ MCU 2 car’ was the idea of what does the service center see when they plug into it. Do they care? Seems like this is a project that would have a lot of maintenance issues. Not like replacing the cabin lights. :D

My original point of ‘the upgrade should be indistinguishable from a ‘real’ MCU 2 car’ was the idea of what does the service center see when they plug into it. Do they care? Seems like this is a project that would have a lot of maintenance issues. Not like replacing the cabin lights. :D
Wiring loom not the same, though this part might already exist as I could imagine developers working on existing tech to integrate new mcu2
Everything is possible given enough time and priority. Most are looking at this to “upgrade” functionality, though might make more sense from Tesla’s Perspective to mitigate the failure of existing mcu1s. In hw business making old hw is incredibly expensive and inefficient, so after stock runs out you often are left with choice of outsource old hardware or replace with newer and eat the additional validation cost.

It isn't worse for Tesla than the rest of the industry. The difference Tesla keep on creating new configurations more often, at one point Elon boasting how they change the hardware every 2 weeks, so 26 versions a year, instead of once a year, how the rest of the industry does it. The rest of the industry doesn't try to run their latest software on 7 year old cars either like Tesla. Of course they have to for the most part, because they sold that as a feature, plus the obligation to deliver new features originally sold as vaporware.

Tesla does love if statements, I mean really really love if statements on start ups.

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
This whole thing may be a victim of ‘old Elon twitter’ which he seems to be getting away from. Like promising the stars instead of the moon, lol.

Wish he would either say, ‘yeah, we’re working on that for <whenever>’ or ‘my bad, it’s not feasible, buy a new one’.

Or maybe someone needs to ask this on the next conference call. It needs a concrete resolution as to yes/no, price, timeline.

This whole thing may be a victim of ‘old Elon twitter’ which he seems to be getting away from. Like promising the stars instead of the moon, lol.

Wish he would either say, ‘yeah, we’re working on that for <whenever>’ or ‘my bad, it’s not feasible, buy a new one’.

Or maybe someone needs to ask this on the next conference call. It needs a concrete resolution as to yes/no, price, timeline.

Exactly. I just want to know if it's going to happen or if I need to buy a new car. I just don't want to be in constantly waiting/anticipating state.

yes, I’m glad he appears to be getting away from that!

Reactions: boaterva
To get a replacement mcu thus draining the possible remaining supply of MCU1 and forcing MCU2 upgrade ;)
What does ‘took the loss’ mean, then? How is getting it replaced a loss?

Filing a false report may be an issue. How did it break? Um, I slipped and my class ring impacted it at 100 feet/second. Ooookay.

And then they just replace the screen, we’ve heard. Not the ‘MCU’.

These gangbangers came up and fired five rounds into my poor car and walked away. Try that one...

MCUv2 owners can now be jealous of MCUv1....
IMG_20191005_114046.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: VValleyEV
Out with the old in with the new

Time to get Model 3
What year is your S? I just did a 24hr test drive of Dual Motor M3. I just didn’t like it as much as my base level MS, and I kind of like the exterior appearance of the M3 better. Zippy and jerky is overrated. The new car smell wasn’t even that good. Must be those fake leather seats. That single center screen kind of sucks, but man is it amazingly responsive. I would way rather keep my car and pay $3,000 for an MCU2 upgrade. I’m just not huge fan of the interior. I like my all black MS interior much better.

Okay then, Tesla Owners Club Norway supposedly have been talking with Tesla, and have made an article about the retrofit.
According to them, Tesla says its not doable. And it won't be offered.
Source: Oppgradering av MCU1 til MCU2 - TOCN - Tesla Owners Club Norway
Use Google translate for those of you who don't read Norwegian.
Link in English: Google Oversetter

I hate to read this, was really hoping for an upgrade path...

• Informative
Reactions: croman and boaterva
Okay then, Tesla Owners Club Norway supposedly have been talking with Tesla, and have made an article about the retrofit.
According to them, Tesla says its not doable. And it won't be offered.
Source: Oppgradering av MCU1 til MCU2 - TOCN - Tesla Owners Club Norway
Use Google translate for those of you who don't read Norwegian.
Link in English: Google Oversetter

I hate to read this, was really hoping for an upgrade path...
To be honest, nothing in that article is news or new or any different than what your local SC would tell you. I happen to know someone that did do the mcu2 retrofit themselves and it wasn't something they recommend anyone do outside of Tesla's official services (they lost warranty because they did this upgrade). Point is, it's doable and not particularly hard. Just needs Toolbox. Or, Tesla needs to offer it as a service.