Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tell me about it. I just replaced my MCU screen and upgraded the emmc chip because I couldn't wait any longer.

The retrofit is not going to be cheap... 4-5K

Hopefully (laughs to himself) a glut of MCU1s, removed from recent production to make-good on FSD/AP promises, would severely drop the replacement part costs of a pre-AP car getting the eMMC chip repair done. You know... since the labor is minimal and the resulting MCU1 supply could be in excess of the entirety of pre-AP car production.

Hopefully (laughs to himself) a glut of MCU1s, removed from recent production to make-good on FSD/AP promises, would severely drop the replacement part costs of a pre-AP car getting the eMMC chip repair done. You know... since the labor is minimal and the resulting MCU1 supply could be in excess of the entirety of pre-AP car production.
That's an interesting observation. Upgrading the AP2 or AP2.5 cars with MCU1 to MCU2 would free up a tens of thousands of MCU1s. Maybe Tesla could lower the price a bit for those pre-AP2 car MCU1 replacements!

Reactions: Newscutter
That's an interesting observation. Upgrading the AP2 or AP2.5 cars with MCU1 to MCU2 would free up a tens of thousands of MCU1s. Maybe Tesla could lower the price a bit for those pre-AP2 car MCU1 replacements!

Yeah, you'd think supply and demand would have some basis... I figure max there's about 50k pre-AP cars? Not sure how many others are MCU1, but even if only half the builds from AP1 until the switch to MCU2 eventually upgrade to MCU2, that's still a huge ratio of available (and otherwise useless) MCU1 units suddenly sitting on shelves.

And I can't think that ye olde pre-AP cars benefit much from MCU2 other than potentially having the LTE upgrade. My screen is pretty peppy and functions fine (except the web browser) on the current processing power. I don't need more silly games or fluff. I just want the car to function AS A CAR.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Yeah, you'd think supply and demand would have some basis... I figure max there's about 50k pre-AP cars? Not sure how many others are MCU1, but even if only half the builds from AP1 until the switch to MCU2 eventually upgrade to MCU2, that's still a huge ratio of available (and otherwise useless) MCU1 units suddenly sitting on shelves.

And I can't think that ye olde pre-AP cars benefit much from MCU2 other than potentially having the LTE upgrade. My screen is pretty peppy and functions fine (except the web browser) on the current processing power. I don't need more silly games or fluff. I just want the car to function AS A CAR.
You should include the AP1 cars as well. All pre-AP and AP1 cars would have MCU1. I think the number would be closer to 135,000 pre-AP2 cars.

You should include the AP1 cars as well. All pre-AP and AP1 cars would have MCU1. I think the number would be closer to 135,000 pre-AP2 cars.

Right, that's what I'm saying -- if its 135k total... and 50K are pre-AP, then that's 85K with a clear motivation to upgrade. Of the 50K without AP, it's less advantageous to upgrade to MCU2 and a cheaper LTE-equipped MCU1 replacement would be a great option-- given that there'd be a surplus of them (85K units for something less than 50K cars as many have replacement MCUs already).

Right, that's what I'm saying -- if its 135k total... and 50K are pre-AP, then that's 85K with a clear motivation to upgrade. Of the 50K without AP, it's less advantageous to upgrade to MCU2 and a cheaper LTE-equipped MCU1 replacement would be a great option-- given that there'd be a surplus of them (85K units for something less than 50K cars as many have replacement MCUs already).

AP1 cars have no more reason to upgrade than non-AP cars.

Reactions: whitex
AP1 cars have no more reason to upgrade than non-AP cars.
I think he was referring to swapping out old MCU1 with eMMC problems with refurbished MCU1 that would be returned from AP2 and AP2.5 cars getting upgraded. At least that's what I thought he meant in post #1502 above.

I don't think he was saying they would upgrade MCUs, just get a swapped out MCU due to eMMC issues.

True. But the potential loss for an accident without having car insurance is practically limitless. Not exactly the same with an extended warranty.
Sure; but it’s not practically limitless at least for me. Maybe in terms of the bodily injury value it’s worth 2 destroyed humans but it’s barely worth one and a half cars (I’ve got 200k PD and 5M bodily injury and that’s about the Max I’ve seen offered)

the premium for the extended warranty is pretty low compared to insurance premiums. It seems like it only takes one or two major issues to make up for it, not unlike how not even a handful of fender benders add up to the cost of insurance premiums I’ve been paying for a decade.

The Model 3 has been essentially unchanged since the first ones built since 2017.
  • Seats both front and rears with rears being much more comfortable
  • AP2.5 -> AP3 hardware
  • Alcantara headliner -> whatever the fabric is now
  • Leather steering wheel -> vegan leather
  • Glass roof coating
  • EAP broken up to FSD package
Those are the things that come to mind.

I mean arguably my car insurance isn’t worth it. I’ve spent $20,000 in premiums on this Tesla and got $0 benefit out of it ;)
Car insurance is required by law, but for any optional insurances, if you can afford to cover it yourself, in the long term you're better off not paying premiums - over a lifetime you should come out ahead. Insurance is best reserved for catastrophic events which would break you financially (or simply not be able to afford it at all). Remember, insurance sellers make profit on their product, so why not sell it to yourself. I never pay for any extended warranties and over the course of my life so far I only lost that bet once or twice, but overall I'm already significantly ahead.

Last edited:
  • Seats both front and rears with rears being much more comfortable
  • AP2.5 -> AP3 hardware
  • Alcantara headliner -> whatever the fabric is now
  • Leather steering wheel -> vegan leather
  • Glass roof coating
  • EAP broken up to FSD package
Those are the things that come to mind.

Those are not significant enough to cancel Elon over.

Examples of those include

3P- not getting track mode.
3P- not getting $5000 FUSC trade in option.

Future significant events:
MCU/AP hardwire changes without retrofit option.

Car insurance is required by law, but for any optional insurances, if you can afford to cover it yourself, in the long term you're probably better off not paying premiums - over a lifetime you should large sample of individual lifetimes this will tend to come out ahead.

ftfy (bold sections mine)

Human lifetimes are short and fleeting. The number of individual instances of buying insurance, or not buying insurance, in a lifetime is pretty small in the grand scheme of things. You are rolling the dice, and the dice are definitely weighted in favor of not buying insurance, but with all things probabilistic, the pattern only becomes clear when N is large. When N is small -- such as the number of cars you insure in a lifetime -- there is still a substantial risk of getting unlucky.

I'm not arguing against the advice. I follow this advice myself -- I have large deductibles and generally don't insure anything I can afford to cover myself. I'm arguing against the confidence that this always turns out well over each individual's lifetime.

Reactions: croman and GWord