Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you traded in a one year old Tesla Model S for another Tesla Model S and lost 48k for the sole reason of FSD that wasn’t even available? So you paid (lost) 48k + FSD for no other reason? Knowing full well that the biggest depreciation hits are on the first couple years of new car ownership? Wow.
Maybe FSD is really important to him and he believed Elon. Hard to believe you guys are defending Elon’s bullshit claims about FSD. I think it was totally unnecessary for the survival of the company, but maybe at the time, Elon thought it was. I forgive him, but I think he should go to great lengths to make it up to those that got screwed by his optimism.

Maybe FSD is really important to him and he believed Elon. Hard to believe you guys are defending Elon’s bullshit claims about FSD. I think it was totally unnecessary for the survival of the company, but maybe at the time, Elon thought it was. I forgive him, but I think he should go to great lengths to make it up to those that got screwed by his optimism.

I think Elon needs to do something for people that purchased FSD with an AP2 car and if it doesn’t work. I am one of them.

But to expect what some of you are expecting?!?! Now THAT is bullshit.

How about a real challenge and try to wire that thing up in an AP1 car. Who wants to lend verygreen their 2014 model S for a few days? He did say he has some extra time over the next while...:D
AP1 = 1 camera
AP2 = 8 cameras
AP1 <> HW3 inputs required

AP1 Hardware Suite:
  • Front camera (single monochrome)
  • Front radar with range of 525 feet / 160 meters
  • 12 ultrasonic sensors with 16 ft range / 5 meters
  • Rear camera for driver only (not used in Autopilot)
  • Mobileye EyeQ3 computing platform

AP2 Hardware Suite:
  • Front cameras (3 cameras, medium, narrow and wide angle)
  • Side cameras (4 total, 2 forward and 2 rear-facing, on each side)
  • Rear camera (1 rear-facing)
  • Front radar with range of 525 feet / 160 meters
  • 12 ultrasonic sensors with 26 ft range / 8 meters
  • NVIDIA DRIVE PX 2 AI computing platform
Tesla Autopilot AP1 vs AP2 vs AP3 - Differences Explained - AutoPilot Review

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I think Elon needs to do something for people that purchased FSD with an AP2 car and if it doesn’t work. I am one of them.

To expect the CEO of a multi-billion dollar company not very publicly lie to us every opportunity he gets about the realistic outcome of the goods and services that he is selling to us is bullshit? You do realize that “the driver is only there for legal purposes” video is still on their website, right? This is not some minor tertiary feature, but the banner feature of the car.

Really? He told all of us that we were buying cars with FSD hardware and that we could pre-pay now or pay later at a greater price. I don’t see the pre-payers as more special as far as the deception goes. I can understand why you would as a pre-payer, but as non-pre-payer I was just as deceived. I’m just not worried about locking in the price.

To expect the CEO of a multi-billion dollar company not very publicly lie to us every opportunity he gets about the realistic outcome of the goods and services that he is selling to us is bullshit? You do realize that “the driver is only there for legal purposes” video is still on their website, right? This is not some minor tertiary feature, but the banner feature of the car.

That’s not what I said.

Really? He told all of us that we were buying cars with FSD hardware and that we could pre-pay now or pay later at a greater price. I don’t see the pre-payers as more special as far as the deception goes. I can understand why you would as a pre-payer, but as non-pre-payer I was just as deceived. I’m just not worried about locking in the price.

To expect a full car replacement/full car refund after YEARS of driving or tens of thousands of dollars? Yes....THAT is bullshit.

To expect a full car replacement/full car refund after YEARS of driving? Yes....THAT is bullshit.
We said $500 wasn't sufficient. There's a big difference between $500 and $117,000.

If they could convert my purchase over to a lease, I'd be happy to return the car, assuming a fair lease rate of $1000 a month since purchase.

$500 plus the refund of autopilot services paid.
Yeah, that’s super low. It would be easy for a lawyer to show your actual damages are greater than $500 (lost value of the car due to it not having the capabilities that were promised, time value of money for the thousands of dollars Tesla has been holding for you for 3+ years, etc. etc.). Throw in some punitive damages for the outright lying and I think the actual amount is in the $8,000-10,000 range PLUS whatever you paid for FSD.

Yeah, that’s super low. It would be easy for a lawyer to show your actual damages are greater than $500 (lost value of the car due to it not having the capabilities that were promised, time value of money for the thousands of dollars Tesla has been holding for you for 3+ years, etc. etc.). Throw in some punitive damages for the outright lying and I think the actual amount is in the $8,000-10,000 range PLUS whatever you paid for FSD.

8-10k?

That’s quite high.

That’s not what I said.

There’s little effective difference, though.

I didn’t buy a Tesla, or an electric vehicle. What I bought was a self driving vehicle, which happens to be an electric vehicle made by Tesla. Why did I think I was buying a self driving vehicle? Well, that’s what the Tesla website said that I was buying through every step of the process. That’s what the CEO of the company said on his Twitter account, which is registered with the SEC as being a source for official material information about the company. The video says the driver is in the vehicle solely for legal reasons and is not actually a part of the driving process. The people in their stores made a point about how my car would drive itself. These are some examples of why I purchased this car.

The self driving story is not one that I concocted in my head to rationalize my purchase, but specific claims made by the public company that makes the vehicle.

To suggest that $500 plus the cost of autopilot as a refund amount is sufficient to make me whole is the real bullshit in this thread. I’m not saying I bought the car because I wanted lighted vanity mirrors and since it didn’t have them I want a new car after several years of ownership. I am saying that there was and continues to be ongoing deception/fraud with regards to the banner feature of the car which was the crux of my purchasing decision, and to make that whole will cost a lot more than just a couple bucks.