Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I may have missed this - didn't read all 190 pages: Do new Teslas no longer come with AM/FM radio? Or why would the upgrade take that away?

No, new cars come with AM/FM. However with the retrofit, the new MCU uses a digital tuner whereas MCU1 cars had the analog tuner. Tesla doesn't want to do the extra labor to switch out tuners with the retrofit because they're really in a tight space hard to reach. That's the reason why only retrofit cars won't have AM/FM.

Theoretically (and some have done it practically) you could switch out the tuner yourself finding the part in a salvage or something. Then you'd need to change the config of the car and that requires some software skills. If I can find a way to get an MCU2 into factory mode, I'll do it to mine for sure. AM/FM just feels essential to a car.

No, new cars come with AM/FM. However with the retrofit, the new MCU uses a digital tuner whereas MCU1 cars had the analog tuner. Tesla doesn't want to do the extra labor to switch out tuners with the retrofit because they're really in a tight space hard to reach. That's the reason why only retrofit cars won't have AM/FM.

Theoretically (and some have done it practically) you could switch out the tuner yourself finding the part in a salvage or something. Then you'd need to change the config of the car and that requires some software skills. If I can find a way to get an MCU2 into factory mode, I'll do it to mine for sure. AM/FM just feels essential to a car.
Tuner2 also only supports FM radio, so even if they did allow us to retrofit the tuner we'd still lose AM radio.

Of the three bands FM, AM, and SX. I'd use AM if anything, so even with a new vehicle you are still out AM. I stream 99% of the time but it would be nice to have AM for those small information/warning stations you come across occasionally. Having said that I can't remember the last time I used the tuner in my S. Now if Tesla would just take my $2500.

• Funny
Reactions: GoBeavs and Jays200
Hello everyone! I'm new to the club and hoping someone can guide me in the right direction. I just picked up a pre owned Model S P100D with 9k miles on it. I purchased directly from Tesla. I just noticed a yellow/brown boarder around my entire touch screen. From some research Ive done this seems to be a common problem. Obviously I will contact Tesla to schedule a repair but I also want to upgrade to the MCU2 for the entertainment features. Does the screen repair have anything to do with the MCU upgrade? Any chance tesla would upgrade the MCU when replacing the screen? Thank you in advance!

Hello everyone! I'm new to the club and hoping someone can guide me in the right direction. I just picked up a pre owned Model S P100D with 9k miles on it. I purchased directly from Tesla. I just noticed a yellow/brown boarder around my entire touch screen. From some research Ive done this seems to be a common problem. Obviously I will contact Tesla to schedule a repair but I also want to upgrade to the MCU2 for the entertainment features. Does the screen repair have anything to do with the MCU upgrade? Any chance tesla would upgrade the MCU when replacing the screen? Thank you in advance!

Tesla won't replace your screen they will treat it with UV to remove the yellow/brown border. (No no chance of a MCU2 upgrade for free.)

If you pay the $2,500 to upgrade to MCU2 that includes a new screen, that hopefully won't suffer from the yellow/brown border issue.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Tesla won't replace your screen they will treat it with UV to remove the yellow/brown border. (No no chance of a MCU2 upgrade for free.)

If you pay the $2,500 to upgrade to MCU2 that includes a new screen, that hopefully won't suffer from the yellow/brown border issue.

Thank you very much for the info. Do you happen to have the MCU2 in your vehicle? Is it worth the $2500?

Many AM stations also simulcast on HD radio on the FM band - so even if you don't have an AM radio with MCU2, you can still get many of the AM radio stations through HD/FM - plus there are quite a few of the stations that are also on TuneIn (except when they are broadcasting live sporting events, which are typically blacked out - but obviously not a problem right now...).

When we got our 2018 X, we were concerned about the loss of AM radio - and have missed any stations using a combination of HD/FM/XM.

Still not planning to do the MCU2 upgrade for our 2017 S, unless Tesla provides an option to upgrade to the FM/HD/XM radio.

Reactions: puhiniho
What is the build date of youP100D? Look on the driver door sill.

You have MCI1 and AP2 hardware. You, like me will be waiting for the time to upgrade. Originally scheduled for late this month---moved back, a usual due to current circumstances. Before you get too upset, understand, many of us early adopters have been waiting since October 2016. I would wait on the Yellowing repair until you do the $2500 MCU2 upgrade. 9K miles on a 3.5 year old car...if you don't mind--How much did it go for?

You have MCI1 and AP2 hardware. You, like me will be waiting for the time to upgrade. Originally scheduled for late this month---moved back, a usual due to current circumstances. Before you get too upset, understand, many of us early adopters have been waiting since October 2016. I would wait on the Yellowing repair until you do the $2500 MCU2 upgrade. 9K miles on a 3.5 year old car...if you don't mind--How much did it go for?

71k. Sticker was 159k. I couldn't pass it up.

Sorry if you said already but which service center?
Scott, @croman is a unique case. His MCU died completely. The service center worked some magic to accelerate his MCU2 upgrade vice having him get a replacement MCU1 and then upgrade to MCU2 in a month. The only other case of an MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade we know of for an AP2.0 car is @Akikiki in Hawaii where it appears the service center didn't realize he was an AP2 car and ordered an AP2.5 kit...then had to order additional parts to get his car working because they had already done the work and had it for a week.

For the rest of us AP2.0/MCU1 cars, we are still in the "soon/end of April/early May category" but no one has yet confirmed successfully setting up and appointment and having the upgrade take place.

• Informative
Reactions: TK16688 and MP3Mike
Ive read through much of the thread but still have a question that I hope someone can answer:
2017 90D with MCU1, HW2, and EAP.

Within my Tesla app, it offers upgrade to FSD for $4k usd.

My question: Does the $4k total include MCU2 and HW3 combined?
No. That upgrade gets you the FSD features now (depends on what is EAP vs. FSD for your car based on when purchased) and gets you a free installation of an AP3.0 computer when they start doing those. In your case, you need to pay an additional $2500 to upgrade your MCU to MCU2 at the same time as your AP3 installation. Note that if you "upgrade to FSD" now for $4K, supposedly you will get the MCU2/AP3 upgrade ahead of people who have not paid for the FSD...

Your guess of what appears is incorrect. We discussed my car was 2.0 when I dropped my car off. The kit was already on site. In my first post, I said, they were an hour+ into the upgrade and realized Tesla Parts had sent the wrong kit. So Honolulu ordered the different cable that distinguishes the two kits. They didn't want to put the car back together just to take it apart again when the harness arrived. I had a loaner, and I told them to keep the car til.

Last edited:
Your guess of what appears is incorrect. We discussed my car was 2.0 when I dropped my car off. The kit was already on site. In my first post, I said, they were an hour+ into the upgrade and realized Tesla Parts had sent the wrong kit. So Honolulu ordered the different cable that distinguishes the two kits. They didn't want to put the car back together just to take it apart again when the harness arrived. I had a loaner, and I told them to keep the car til.

As far as you know, are they still developing a workaround to fit HW3 in MCU1/HW2 cars where the owner is not going to be upgrading to MCU2, or is it already technically easy to do and we are just at the back of the line?