Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've partnered with Teslatap on this project.(There are three of us working on this.) I've removed the old tuner and have installed a Model 3 FM tuner in my upgraded MCU2 car. The white/red cable in the picture - its the first one made. I installed it in my S yesterday. The black connector on the end of the white (twisted pair Ethernet) cable in the picture was the hard part. I had to remove my MCU2 to plug it into the new digital port on the back of MCU2. We are still trying to find a way to activate the new digital tuner. The latest OTA update did not do it. We also don't know 100% if using a Model 3 tuner is going to work. We think so, and we hope so, but we won't know until we can get Tesla to activate it in the car.

I've partnered with Teslatap on this project.(There are three of us working on this.) I've removed the old tuner and have installed a Model 3 FM tuner in my upgraded MCU2 car. The white/red cable in the picture - its the first one made. I installed it in my S yesterday. The black connector on the end of the white (twisted pair Ethernet) cable in the picture was the hard part. I had to remove my MCU2 to plug it into the new digital port on the back of MCU2. We are still trying to find a way to activate the new digital tuner. The latest OTA update did not do it. We also don't know 100% if using a Model 3 tuner is going to work. We think so, and we hope so, but we won't know until we can get Tesla to activate it in the car.

You'll need someone like @kdday Good luck! I'm totally cool with the trade off to get MCU2 and I doubt I'll ever play the games and I don't have Netflix but paying $2500 to get a functioning MCU that is as fast as it needs to be is worthwhile (esp. with the 4 year unlimited mile warranty to match the rest of my battery and driveunit).

Kyle managed to retrofit the whole shebang himself before Tesla announced (at long last) that they'd do the MCU2 upgrade. He did the Tuner2 which might be different than what you describe.

I'm not going to hack the car. One of our goals in this effort is to perform this as the least intrusive method that we can. We are not trying to just get FM. We are documenting if the average DIYer can buy some parts and make preparation for MCU2 upgrade.

I'm proof so far (to a degree) that we can add a Tesla FM radio back. It was not hard. That we can physically connect it. But hold it. We don't know if this Model 3 radio works on the S. If it does not, it will not be hard to remove it and try a S FM radio tuner. All this has been so far within the skillset of a DIYer. We know that within our own permissions as owners, we can't just plug it in, let an OTA activate and go on our way. Doesn't work with an OTA update. My next step is to ask my Tesla SC to run the provisioning tool/process to enable my Model 3 tuner. If they won't try and persuade them. Ask them to talk to corporate for me. We now know adding the tuner, AFTER the MCU2 upgrade doesn't make it easier.

But I'm just a guinea ping to confirm what the folks on this project already thought. That was, we can't activate it ourselves. The digital FM Tuner must be added before the MCU2 upgrade. I'm lucky to have had the opportunity to already upgrade to MCU2. But I now can't test this.

There's a provisioning process that runs when significant hardware is changed or added to the Tesla. Kdday taught me that. It occurs when MCU2 is added. And that's the process that needs to be run on the new radio. What's needed is some more MCU2 candidates to step up, get their car's ready for the new tuner so when they get the invite to upgrade. Their new radio will be activated with the MCU2 activation/provisioning at the same time.

How will this be done? Someone/maybe more than one, needs to acquire the new FM digital tuner radio, make or obtain the special cable. And just before 1 day or 60 days before they take their car in for the MCU2 upgrade, swap out the old for new tuner, and thread the new cable over to the back of their MCU so its ready to be plugged in by the Tesla tech as he finishes MCU2 installation. Yes, it depends on the tech being willing to do that. And if he doesn't, then you are stuck in the same twilight zone with me, FM installed and not active.

I choose the Model 3 FM radio because I found it on ebay for less than 1/4 of what a new one for a S is. I don't know if its going to work. There's not been a S/X new digital tuner on ebay in the last 3 months. For this test, I was willing to try a Model 3 before I spent $228 on the exact one. I can always go back and get the S radio. Of course I have to beg for another provisioning - assuming I get one that tells me the Model 3 radio does not work

Think about it. Who else is as crazy as me? I've said before, I don't care about FM. I can live without it. I am just trying to learn if this is possible for all those folks that are really upset over losing FM. Maybe we can help them.

If someone other than Tesla will likely void the warranty - at least for the MCU2 and possibly for FSD computer or entire vehicle.

Tesla should provide an option to have the radio included in the MCU2 upgrade, which would keep everything under warranty.

Besides losing the warranty for part or all of the vehicle, there's also a possibility that losing the radio could have an impact on future resale value for the vehicle - how many $100+K vehicles (the purchase price for many of the MCU1 S/X vehicles) don't have any radio support?

What's needed is some more MCU2 candidates to step up, get their car's ready for the new tuner so when they get the invite to upgrade. Their new radio will be activated with the MCU2 activation/provisioning at the same time.

This is exactly my situation right now.
I consider myself a basic DIY'er as I've done several projects on my previous cars, and I love doing this sort of work.

I know my biggest shortcomings with working on my Model S are, [and always will be], software related. So I calculated that my best chance to get the new radio tuner to "activate" and be recognized by the MCU2, is to install it before my car even gets the MCU2 upgrade, in order for a good hearted Tesla Service tech to just plug the already available cables and provision the new MCU2 alongside it's digital radio tuner to the car. And since we are provisioning new hardware to the car, why not new AP cameras... o_O

My car is a January 2017 built Model S, so it currently has AP2.0 hardware.
I was hoping I could upgrade my AP2.0 cameras to AP2.5/3 cameras as well, since we now know the software on the new FSD (AP3) computer can manage feeds from both AP2.0 cameras and AP2.5 cameras. @kdday mentioned on the "Software" post about self upgrading his Infotainment and AP thread, that:
  • Had to update car configuration on gateway to: autopilotCameraType 1 (RCCC cameras for HW2.0).

So I was wondering if during the provision process for the new MCU2 (and hopefully Tuner2) we could add AP2.5 cameras to the mix.

I remember Green said Tesla implemented an assertion in the code to ensure the ap2.0 computer only gets RCCC feed from the cameras and the ap2.5 computer only gets RCCB cam feeds, but seeing that @Akikiki's Model S has AP3, which is now receiving RCCC feeds from AP2.0 cameras, these assertions may now be well, "more flexible" for us to do a full camera hardware swap and just update the car configuration gateway to: autopilotCameraType 2, per kdday's post.

It's safe to say, this is just a personal theory, as I have no way of proving it so far until I get the chance to schedule my Infotainment Upgrade with Tesla for my AP2.0 car.

Acquire the new FM digital tuner radio, make or obtain the special cable. And just before they take their car in for the MCU2 upgrade, swap out the old for new tuner, and thread the new cable over to the back of their MCU so it's ready to be plugged in by the Tesla tech as he finishes MCU2 installation

I was able to purchase all the AP2.5 cameras, Tuner2 and the whole MCU2 wiring harness from a wrecked 2019 Raven Performance Model S.

The thing is, I cannot take apart the whole MCU2 wiring harness just to extract the Tuner2 cables. It's too much work and it's not a time investment I'm willing to make, so I still need a wiring harness from Tuner2 to MCU2 :(, and I'm pretty sure Tesla won't be very open or willing to install the wiring harness I bring along with my car to my MCU2 upgrade appointment. :rolleyes:

Hey @Akikiki, have you and TeslaTap ever given it a thought to sell the needed wiring harness for the radio upgrade once your tests and prototypes reach a comfortable stage? It would be awesome for idiots like me that are simply unable to build our own harnesses...

Last edited:
Plugging in hardware and then hoping it will work when/if Tesla does an update or retrofits mcu or ape won't work.

The car does not ask individual components "hey who is connected to me?" and then activate them. Instead, components are prescribed explicitly in the gateway and only what's configured will work. Plugging in tuner or RCCB cameras won't make them work unless gateway config is changed.

Awesome, thanks for the reply. I love interacting with @kdday :)

unless gateway config is changed

But some tech guy fella man dude and/or chap needs to update the car's gateway config after they perform the MCU upgrade at the Service Center, so that change is actually getting done during the process. Now we know the firmware redeploy theory to activate new hardware is debunked.

I guess the success of our DIY project can only be measured in the willingness or stubbornness or close mindedness or good heartness or internal protocol followness of the previously mentioned tech guy fella man dude and/or chap doing the gateway config change during the Infotainment Upgrade, for unskillful people like me. :oops:

Last edited:
Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
@sorka, So far, there's not been any reports of AP1 cars being done. I wish for all of you with older cars - even non-AP cars that they were already making this available, but so far no reports on TMC or TM.

They should be letting any car with a total MCU1 failure "jump the line" and get the upgrade ASAP, since it is clearly possible. Why is that even a debatable priority internally??

I just can't understand why they'd offer this to newer cars first, other than it being yet another example of Tesla putting their oldest customers LAST on every priority list.

Hi, would you elaborate? You mean the grill for the speakers (but is below, not top of rear glass) ? Thanks
Sure. As you stand at the back of your car, with the liftgate open, you see the plastic trim running along the glass at the top of the glass furthermost from your reach. That 30ish inch long plastic trim has holes in it (to let the sound out). You can remove that trim, (its a pain but comes off). The center of the trim under the part you can't see, its a small module about as round as a silver dollar. It's the buzzer/beeper for the liftgate. The connector is hard to disconnect because you can't see the little tab hidden on the back side. But if unplugged, the buzzing stops.

• Helpful
Reactions: AustinP
Plugging in hardware and then hoping it will work when/if Tesla does an update or retrofits mcu or ape won't work.

The car does not ask individual components "hey who is connected to me?" and then activate them. Instead, components are prescribed explicitly in the gateway and only what's configured will work. Plugging in tuner or RCCB cameras won't make them work unless gateway config is changed.
Oh and to be clear, I don't know for a fact that plugging in RCCB cameras and updating the gateway will work at all. I suspect it might, and perhaps will try, but I don't know.

Hello, my MCU actually is now officially done....black screen. When I went in to have it looked at before it went black, because it was not accepting OTA updates, they said it needs to be replaced. It would cost $1400, the smart play I thought was to WAIT until the MCU 2 was available. It stated on the website that it would be for my car 2015 70D Model S around May. The car drives fine, blinkers don't work, can't see ANYTHING on the screen, takes longer to start up, brake lights and headlights work, AP1 works. Since I need to replace anyway, why would I spend 1400 on an MCU1 when I can spend more and get MCU2 which we all know is better and hopefully last longer than the 5 years mine has....
The service center said the MCU2 wasn't available. Anybody hear anything on when it would be available ???????

• Helpful
Reactions: kavyboy
Awesome, thanks for the reply. I love interacting with @kdday :)

But some tech guy fella man dude and/or chap needs to update the car's gateway config after they perform the MCU upgrade at the Service Center, so that change is actually getting done during the process. Now we know the firmware redeploy theory to activate new hardware is debunked.

I guess the success of our DIY project can only be measured in the willingness or stubbornness or close mindedness or good heartness or internal protocol followness of the previously mentioned tech guy fella man dude and/or chap doing the gateway config change during the Infotainment Upgrade, for unskillful people like me. :oops:

Yes, it looks like its certainly not anything like Plug n' Play. We know the issue of loss and desire to not lose FM radio is new to many owners. Even SC staff may not know the details. It's possible or even likely that SC staff have no flexibility in the decision even if they have local permissions to make gateway changes. I believe its important that all involved in trying to insure FM radio is not lost with the MCU2 upgrade to talk up the desire for it. The technical aspect of activating the newly installed radio is an challenge. If SC personnel are reluctant or not permitted to make that change, it could become necessary for owners to be more vocal than they have been so far. I'm not a social media participant. But we've seen twitter posts from owners change Tesla's policy on things. Nuff said, by me.