Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My part shipped yesterday per Tesla's latest part email update. So I'm on target for the 5th and for clarification, Tesla totally approved my update for later May before my MCU gave up the ghost. They just accelerated the timeline slightly when my MCU went which was a really awesome gesture as it sucks driving right now.
Yea, agree that driving sucks under that condition. Now having said that, I can't believe I drove (moved) from Tennessee to California in the 60s pulling a U-Haul with a paper map on the dash, manual transmission, no air conditioning, no cell phone, etc. We sure have been spoiled by Elon. :D

Yea, agree that driving sucks under that condition. Now having said that, I can't believe I drove (moved) from Tennessee to California in the 60s pulling a U-Haul with a paper map on the dash, manual transmission, no air conditioning, no cell phone, etc. We sure have been spoiled by Elon. :D

True. Tesla ruined me completely. You guys should hear me when I have to get rentals! I am incapable of locking or turning cars off. Real serious danger. Plus I am incapable of fueling an ICE. It is way more complicated than EVs with credit card insertions and zip codes and 3 different kinds of pollution grades. Holy cow ICE sucks!

July 2017 X100D _|_ Booked my MCU1->MCU2 upgrade ($2500) and AP2.0->FSD upgrade (prepaid Dec18) for 18-May-2020. I'll see what they say.

Infotainment Upgrade -- Autopilot Computer 2.0 with Full Self-Driving Capability _|_ Late April
Full Self-Driving Computer Installations -- Global Autopilot Computer: 2.0 and 2.5 _|_ Built March 2018 or earlier _|_ May
Canceled today. Asked if email was received. Also s/he could not state if any MCU1->MCU2 upgrades were done at the Westmont IL SC as they s/he were not there.

• Disagree
Reactions: Bluejuice
Since I have AP1, It's going to be a long wait to update for me. That's fine. However, my MCU1 is dead, so I'm not charging. It just says "Charge Stopped." The battery will vampire drain to zero by the time an update is available. Does anyone know if it's possible to recharge with a dead MCU? Or am I doomed to spend money for both the fix AND the update?

Since I have AP1, It's going to be a long wait to update for me. That's fine. However, my MCU1 is dead, so I'm not charging. It just says "Charge Stopped." The battery will vampire drain to zero by the time an update is available. Does anyone know if it's possible to recharge with a dead MCU? Or am I doomed to spend money for both the fix AND the update?

There might be various levels of dead MCU. My AP won't work, screen is now black, no app access, but my car will drive and charge. The IC still works so I have some idea of what is going on still.

Reactions: Akikiki
There might be various levels of dead MCU. My AP won't work, screen is now black, no app access, but my car will drive and charge. The IC still works so I have some idea of what is going on still.

Same boat as @croman. MCU dead but IC still functional and car is still able to charge. 2015 AP1 Model S. Hope they start accepting upgrades to MCU2 for plain AP1 cars sometime in May or June. As long as the car can still charge I'm going to wait it out since Tesla quoted me ~$2500 for a MCU 1.5! Fortunately we have a Model 3 to get us around and only need 1 car in these current times.

Reactions: croman
As far as I know, yes, are they still working to fit HW3 in MCU1/HW2. Elon said some time ago, that the FSD software would require some optimization but they could get it to work on MCU1.
I think that’s incorrect, I remember him saying that he could get FSD to work on AP2.0 Nvdia chip but would require optimization, and he didn’t tie it to MCU... I remember because he was facing criticism for saying he could do it on AP2.0 hardware and the chip, just not as easily... also, I’m not trying to be a contrarian , I just remember drawing a distinction when he made those comments...

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar