Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you able to get a screenshot and share? Would be curious to see what it says. The only invites I have seen so far were for HW3 upgrade when further digging was done.
Uh, I guess you are assuming I got this information off a web site or somewhere. When I said I know of e people that got invites, I am talking about one of my neighbors, one friend in Texas, and another in California. Two of them got invites in the last few weeks by email and the 3rd person got a phone call. So apparently the invites are going out.

I think the "3 pass wipe" only applies to mechanical disks to account for mechanical sloppiness. With eMMC, one pass should be enough.
More to not be able to pick up residual magnetism. And if things were encrypted as they should be, it would take one second to kill the key and poof goes the data. Love how the reset doesn't actually reset anything. Love Tesla QA. :D

Not sure what I would have asked Tysons to do if I'd known of this issue in March when I had this done (I was about the first one they did here in Northern Virginia), but yeah, perhaps delete home address, since that's about all I'd care about. Not that you can't google people....

Reactions: croman
More to not be able to pick up residual magnetism. And if things were encrypted as they should be, it would take one second to kill the key and poof goes the data. Love how the reset doesn't actually reset anything. Love Tesla QA. :D

Not sure what I would have asked Tysons to do if I'd known of this issue in March when I had this done (I was about the first one they did here in Northern Virginia), but yeah, perhaps delete home address, since that's about all I'd care about. Not that you can't google people....
Do you know if the memory is encrypted or not?
Why do you say that the factory reset doesn't reset anything?

It has been said many times (in this thread) the reset doesn't do anything. Not going to repeat things that have been stated above. I have no idea why it doesn't but you'd think it would...... If it WAS encrypted, it would be trivial for the reset to actually reset, as you just delete the key and poof. As I said.

All that came up because replaced MCUs were found on eBay and elsewhere. No idea if that was from normal recycling or if employees took them from trash and sold them or what.

We tried doing the factory reset back in March on one of our cars and after 3 or 4 attempts, it still contained all of our information. We were trading in the car and eventually gave up on Factory Reset. We tried removing as much as we could manually but you'd think the Factory Reset would do that. I think it used to work so maybe it was a temporary bug related to whatever firmware the Model 3 had on it at the time.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
It has been said many times (in this thread) the reset doesn't do anything. Not going to repeat things that have been stated above. I have no idea why it doesn't but you'd think it would...... If it WAS encrypted, it would be trivial for the reset to actually reset, as you just delete the key and poof. As I said.

All that came up because replaced MCUs were found on eBay and elsewhere. No idea if that was from normal recycling or if employees took them from trash and sold them or what.
I really don't believe that the factory reset "doesn't do anything". (That just sounds like the standard whinging of the Tesla bashers.)

The manual states factory reset:
Erasing Personal Data
You can erase all personal data (saved addresses, music favorites, HomeLink programming, etc.)
and restore all customized settings to their factory defaults. This is useful when transferring
ownership. Touch Controls > Service > FACTORY RESET.

I really don't believe that the factory reset "doesn't do anything". (That just sounds like the standard whinging of the Tesla bashers.)

The manual states factory reset:
Erasing Personal Data
You can erase all personal data (saved addresses, music favorites, HomeLink programming, etc.)
and restore all customized settings to their factory defaults. This is useful when transferring
ownership. Touch Controls > Service > FACTORY RESET.
it just does
Code:
mkfs /dev/mmcblk0p4
and as you can imagine it does not really remove any data, just "hides" it in a way.

it just does
Code:
mkfs /dev/mmcblk0p4
and as you can imagine it does not really remove any data, just "hides" it in a way.
Huh. Now I'm wondering (as an old Unix geek) if they changed the name of the active user partition along the way) and forgot to change/update what the reset command 'pointed' at. Maybe at V10 or somewhere.... Someone didn't use a label for the user partition?

Something that maybe should be on the QA test list for every release but you can understand why it wouldn't be (testing the actual user reset command).

it just does
Code:
mkfs /dev/mmcblk0p4

Which means just hiding it does nothing. Nefarious types know this, or at least to try. Put the puzzle back together and you could have enough to use phishing techniques on previous owner. Not sure what the going rate is on the information, but I wouldn't want it to happen to anyone.

• Love
So, what would you recommend we (mere mortals) do before taking the car to the SC?
Is there anything we can do other than changing the passwords afterwards?
When you do a factory reset, it "erases" the information but as we know, "erasing" on most file systems just removes pointers to the information. A determined hacker can still read the information if it hasn't been overwritten.
Fully encrypted systems such as ChromeOS and optionally, other OSs, encrypt the data so that while it is still there after erasing, it is encrypted and can't be read without the key.
Yes, you should do a factory reset and change your account password and this will keep most people from accessing your information but it will not deter a determined hacker.