Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my 2017 MX MCU1 AP2 upgraded to AP3 (without the MCU upgrade) a few months ago. Then, the MCU1 because almost unusable, like many reports here. Last week, I scheduled for MCU2 upgrade. The estimate came back at $2250 without the touchscreen change. I called and asked them to include the touchscreen. Then, they added the touchscreen for $550 for a total of $2800 plus tax (with tax it will be $3000+). When I tell them that it’s supposed to be $2500 with the touchscreen (that’s still on the Tesla website), they said that offer is no longer available and the website is not updated yet. Basically, there are two options right now: MCU upgrade for $2250 without touchscreen, or $2800 with touchscreen. It looks like they are treating the touchscreen change as a separate order.

My touchscreen had yellow borders but they fixed it with the UV treatment about 6 months ago. Now, it has no yellow borders anymore.

So, should I go with or without the touchscreen? If you upgraded your MCU recently, what’s your experience?
I did the upgrade with LCD and it yellowed in a month

I got my 2017 MX MCU1 AP2 upgraded to AP3 (without the MCU upgrade) a few months ago. Then, the MCU1 because almost unusable, like many reports here. Last week, I scheduled for MCU2 upgrade. The estimate came back at $2250 without the touchscreen change. I called and asked them to include the touchscreen. Then, they added the touchscreen for $550 for a total of $2800 plus tax (with tax it will be $3000+). When I tell them that it’s supposed to be $2500 with the touchscreen (that’s still on the Tesla website), they said that offer is no longer available and the website is not updated yet. Basically, there are two options right now: MCU upgrade for $2250 without touchscreen, or $2800 with touchscreen. It looks like they are treating the touchscreen change as a separate order.

My touchscreen had yellow borders but they fixed it with the UV treatment about 6 months ago. Now, it has no yellow borders anymore.

So, should I go with or without the touchscreen? If you upgraded your MCU recently, what’s your experience?

Haha sleazy. Shouldn't the price without screen also be lower then?

You should be glad its sticking at some % and not finishing if you are suspicious there's a problem. When new firmware arrives it delivers to the inactive partition. When it installs on that inactive partition and restarts, it becomes the active partition and the one they firmware runs from. Often the failure or stuck getting downloaded is a signal your eMMC is marginally functioning or headed toward failure. And if firmware tries to run from the bad/dying partition it often can't run all the software services and fails. The most common one to fail first is the display function so the screen is black. So, I recommend you keep pressing for eMMC or MCU replacement and it will most likely also fix your downloading problem.