Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Investor's General Macroeconomic / Market Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also find it interesting. Not often that I see or hear of a rich person arguing in favor of short term pain (higher taxes on the rich), in exchange of long-term gain (a healthier economy that benefits everyone).

From my limited and anecdotal experience (I have not researched anywhere close to as much as neroden), it seems to me that we have seen this play out over the last few presidential cycles. Republicans take over with the economy booming, and instead of using that ideal situation to pay down debt and invest in infrastructure, they cut taxes and increase the budget deficit while times are (relatively speaking) good. They also simultaneously cut regulations. This takes an already frothy asset / debt market and blows it into a massive asset / debt bubble. Hence 2008 / 2009.

Our current asset / debt bubble is being fanned in the short run by the current admin in the same way, while seeds are being sown for longer term problems (deregulation and tariffs).

I hope I’m wrong, but the deja vu is very strong.

You have made some keen observations but unfortunately your conclusion is wrong. The boom/bust cycle has nothing to do with which party is in power. It is completely related to what the Fed is doing with interest rate and quantitative easing.

The cycle began with in the late 90s with several crises (LTCM, Asian Financial Crisis, etc.) which forced the Fed to lower interest rates more than needed to protect the economy. This along with Cllinton tax reform pushed investors to use that easy money to drive up stock prices. Mostly Nasdaq shares. At some point, the Fed attempts to "remove the punch bowl" and raises rates to a point which causes a bust. This what we saw in 2001.

The cycle begins again with the dotcom bust and 9/11 which forces the Fed to attempt to stimulate the economy again by lowering rates (to 1%) and keeping them too low for too long. This along with deregulation in the derivative market, a housing bubble was created and again the Fed attempted to deflate the bubble in the 2006 which ended in another bust.

The Fed responded to this bust in 2009 by lowering rates to 0% and injecting $4T in QE to stimulate the economy. This time, it creates the Everything Bubble which artificially raised the prices of all assets (stocks, bonds, housing and maybe even Bitcoin). We don't know what will happen when the Fed raises rates to a point which will eventually kill the bubble.

History doesn't always repeat buy it does rhyme.

I agree the Fed contributes to these cycles, but also giving tax cuts when going to war (Bush jr) and giving tax cuts while increasing military spending and infrastructure spending (Trump), and in both cases having increasing budget deficits during periods of higher tax revenues (or what would be higher tax revenues if not for the tax cuts) makes no sense, and no one has ever been able to convince me otherwise. When the economy is doing well, at minimum budget deficits should flat line, but ideally they should reduce. We didn’t see that with Bush and we’re not seeing it now... Why have increasing budget deficits when we already have a frothy asset market and we’re at full employment? It’s just straight dumb in my opinion.

The Fed is trying to reduce the spike in the punch bowl slowly, but as usual the republicans are working against them at exactly the wrong time.

I agree the Fed contributes to these cycles, but also giving tax cuts when going to war (Bush jr) and giving tax cuts while increasing military spending and infrastructure spending (Trump), and in both cases having increasing budget deficits during periods of higher tax revenues (or what would be higher tax revenues if not for the tax cuts) makes no sense, and no one has ever been able to convince me otherwise. When the economy is doing well, at minimum budget deficits should flat line, but ideally they should reduce. We didn’t see that with Bush and we’re not seeing it now... Why have increasing budget deficits when we already have a frothy asset market and we’re at full employment? It’s just straight dumb in my opinion.

The Fed is trying to reduce the spike in the punch bowl slowly, but as usual the republicans are working against them at exactly the wrong time.

I can only agree that fiscal policy can exacerbate monetary policy. But the effect is smaller than you think. Fiscal policy works with billions while monetary policy works in the trillions.

You can't fight the Fed.

• Disagree
Reactions: UrsS and neroden
Fiscal is working in the half trillions and moving rapidly toward the trillions. It's true that on its own would not be too potent, but when its working against the Fed to the long-term detriment of both, is that smart policy?

CBO Sees $804 Billion 2018 Deficit, $1 Trillion Gap By 2020

The Fed's balance sheet is $4.5T and at it's peak in 2012, QE was $85B a month. Fiscal policy during the crisis was much smaller. However, the real effect of monetary policy is the indirect one. ZIRP and QE encourage artificial borrowing and with fractional reserve lending and derivatives, this amounts to over $70T (and quadrillions in derivatives) in overall debt. This overwhelms anything fiscal policy can accomplish. Going up or down. It's not even close. It's just done behind the scenes and never publicly discussed like fiscal policy is.

Last edited:
I agree the Fed contributes to these cycles, but also giving tax cuts when going to war (Bush jr) and giving tax cuts while increasing military spending and infrastructure spending (Trump), and in both cases having increasing budget deficits during periods of higher tax revenues (or what would be higher tax revenues if not for the tax cuts) makes no sense, and no one has ever been able to convince me otherwise.
Reagan did the same thing too: cut taxes, increase spending, increase borrowing when the economy was already booming. Borrow-and-spend policies.

When the economy is doing well, at minimum budget deficits should flat line, but ideally they should reduce.
Keynes advised countercyclical policy -- deficits during the bust and surpluses during the boom -- but for some reason you can never get a government to run a surplus during the boom, with the exceptions of Dwight D Eisenhower and Bill Clinton, who actually did, much to their credit.

Reactions: UrsS
I can only agree that fiscal policy can exacerbate monetary policy. But the effect is smaller than you think. Fiscal policy works with billions while monetary policy works in the trillions.

You can't fight the Fed.

Evidence from history is that fiscal policy is FAR stronger than monetary policy. Ask any serious macroeconomist. The Fed actually can't counteract a sufficiently large fiscal policy, though they sometimes try. (A sufficiently extreme fiscal contraction policy certainly can't be countered by the Fed because the Fed can't lower interest rates significantly below 0%. On the other side, a very large fiscal expansion policy will swamp any efforts by the Fed to raise interest rates, as private lending will undercut the Fed rates.)

(Historical examples of the Fed trying to counteract fiscal policy are mostly of a Republican-led Fed trying to counteract pro-growth fiscal policy during a depression, which is sort of nasty.)

Oh, and you CAN fight the Fed, if you're big enough. Soros fought the Bank of England and won, remember?

Why is fiscal policy stronger than monetary policy?

Answer #1: because monetary policy is mere *loans* -- they increase people's supply of cash without increasing their wealth, and due to the interest charges, often decrease household wealth. Fiscal policy is *payments for services*, which increases people's wealth *and* their supply of cash. This is a critical difference: this is why monetary policy can walk the country into a household-debt trap, while fiscal policy cannot.

Answer #2: monetary policy has a bad transmission channel: the Fed lends to the banks, who probably just sit on the money (this is what happened in 2009) or lend it to their buddies. Fiscal policy goes directly to pay workers, with a much more immediate economic result. (Of course, if the fiscal policy is tax cuts for billionaires or sweetheart contracts for Lockheed Martin executives, it's not nearly as effective as it is if it's health care or public services or direct payments -- such as G W Bush did -- for all Americans.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Intl Professor
Evidence from history is that fiscal policy is FAR stronger than monetary policy. Ask any serious macroeconomist. The Fed actually can't counteract a sufficiently large fiscal policy, though they sometimes try. (A sufficiently extreme fiscal contraction policy certainly can't be countered by the Fed because the Fed can't lower interest rates significantly below 0%. On the other side, a very large fiscal expansion policy will swamp any efforts by the Fed to raise interest rates, as private lending will undercut the Fed rates.)

(Historical examples of the Fed trying to counteract fiscal policy are mostly of a Republican-led Fed trying to counteract pro-growth fiscal policy during a depression, which is sort of nasty.)

Oh, and you CAN fight the Fed, if you're big enough. Soros fought the Bank of England and won, remember?

Why is fiscal policy stronger than monetary policy?

Answer #1: because monetary policy is mere *loans* -- they increase people's supply of cash without increasing their wealth, and due to the interest charges, often decrease household wealth. Fiscal policy is *payments for services*, which increases people's wealth *and* their supply of cash. This is a critical difference: this is why monetary policy can walk the country into a household-debt trap, while fiscal policy cannot.

Answer #2: monetary policy has a bad transmission channel: the Fed lends to the banks, who probably just sit on the money (this is what happened in 2009) or lend it to their buddies. Fiscal policy goes directly to pay workers, with a much more immediate economic result. (Of course, if the fiscal policy is tax cuts for billionaires or sweetheart contracts for Lockheed Martin executives, it's not nearly as effective as it is if it's health care or public services or direct payments -- such as G W Bush did -- for all Americans.)

Most economists (including Krugman and Bernanke) would disagree.

Helicopter money - Wikipedia

Mod: some posts moved to
Market politics
--ggr

I appreciate your efforts, but personally I feel like a low volume thread like this should stay in tact, or that we should at least get a warning first.

High volume threads like market action or general market, agree that is no place for politics.

Hard to talk Macro without delving into politics to some degree, and I felt we were pretty cordial about it. Maybe I’m blinded by my own opinions...

I appreciate your efforts, but personally I feel like a low volume thread like this should stay in tact, or that we should at least get a warning first.

High volume threads like market action or general market, agree that is no place for politics.

Hard to talk Macro without delving into politics to some degree, and I felt we were pretty cordial about it. Maybe I’m blinded by my own opinions...
I believe I've made it clear before, but I'll simply state my criteria again. If it has relevance to Tesla/TSLA, it's welcome in this pinned thread. So, for example, talk about tariffs, which may increase or decrease Tesla sales in Europe or China, or decrease competition in the US, great. If it is about taxation, pre-1980 wars, which president spent how much, etc, it goes to the market politics thread where people can decide whether to read the thread or not. The point is to (try to) make it so that people who are here to read about investing in Tesla can focus on the main threads. Of course they're also welcome to read the other threads too, but hopefully separating out the themes makes it easier to digest.

In the spirit of @ValueAnalyst, if this posting gets more downvotes than upvotes, I'll happily stop moderating this thread. --ggr

Yes. I almost posted this yesterday. But I posteth too mush, er, much. Can't wait to check with my local econ guru, but he's dealing with a serious health problem now. The bottom line of the article does have one caveat: it is a predictor, but event predicted can be soon or two years later, if I remember correctly. Very important concept well explained. Thanks for posting.

Edit: It looks like one of Prigogine's bifurcation points. You'll be on either side of the line, but its location in time is undetermined. That could be said about any prediction so probably BFO and thus useless.

Last edited:
Reactions: neroden
Little macro market projection :

I think we will see a big market growth toward the end of the year, after the US mid-term elections. That will last around 1,5-3 quarters.

It will also probably be the last big " spur ", and by the end of this one, we'll probably achieve the peak of this cycle. Then we'll trade sideways for a little while and then crash.

Of course, bearing a black swan type of events (trade war, euro zone tensions amplifying,...).

Just my opinion.

• Helpful
Reactions: bdy0627 and neroden
See what Trump does, or broadcasts with a tweet, about reaction to Chinese/Eu/Canadian counter tariffs. I think the Chinese will stand firm so the emperor has a chance to take off some more clothes, or is he already naked for all to see? US Chamber of Commerce is on it. They need to get Congress on board. Hard to do in an election year and the Reeps are probably scared excrementless already, or they should be. Trump's counting on tough immigration policy leading to the midterms may well backfire. Crude implementation of a policy with little planning for human reaction to actual scenes on TV can have power. What is it they say in the Bible, "Those who live by TV shall die by TV?" In physics it is called the sword of electrons.

• Informative
Reactions: Unpilot and neroden
Do you think that the empty vessel he appears to be ....is actually worse?
Perhaps all that is needed is the proper ...um...steerage?

The need to remove the sack of orange Cheetos is not necessary if the creepy crawly's (Stephen Miller/Session's)are removed.
Then steer the empty vessel to more human and lasting results.